NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM
Mikeknapp

Default OT Retire 21

It's approaching 6:00 AM here and this is way off topic but I was hoping to ask you all to help me out. In three hours I will be undergoing a surgery to donate a kidney to a friend I met through baseball. Due to a series of complications this has been a year long journey. I find myself both anxious and relieved that it is finally coming to fruition. Even though I am not an employee of baseball the MLB assistance team (BAT) is paying for 6 weeks of my salary, hotel and airfare. They are an amazing organization.http://web.mlbcommunity.org/index.js...ssistance_team

Many people who known me have asked me about my motivation to do this. I try not to minimize my actions when I explain that it's the right thing to do. It would be a bigger deal if I ignored my friend's needs when I obviously have*the ability to make a difference in his life. While delivering Mickey Mantle's eulogy Bob Costas quoted Kenesaw Mountain Landis, who said every boy builds*a shrine to some baseball hero, and before that shrine, a candle always burns.*Perhaps this is my candle to Roberto. In the past 40 years I know that he has inspired many other selfless acts. He was a powerful role model during my formative years. As a child I was acutely aware that I lacked his athletic talent. However, I knew early on there was much more to the man than baseball and that I could perhaps emulate him in a more profound way. I am fairly certain that belief is what lead me to this moment and a career in social work.

The Roberto Clemente award is in my opinion the most significant award a player can earn. However, I am hoping that one day MLB will honor Roberto by retiring his 21 as they have Jackie Robinson's 42. Both men transcended the game. Robinson is baseball's moral compass and Clemente is it's patron saint. Although Clemente has profound cultural significance for Latinos such as I, for many fans of my generation Clemente represents a bigger ideal than ethnicity, nationality, culture, and language. He represents compassion, mercy, honor, dignity, and pride. As a society I fear that these are all values we seem to be losing a grip on. By retiring 21 MLB would be honoring those principles as much as the man. This is where I am asking for your assistance. If you share my beliefs, please email MLB and tell them to retire 21. I could not find a link to the commissioners office. However, you could address your email to Bud Selig here*http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/contact_us.jsp. Thanks for indulging me.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 AM
$teve O.

Mike what you are doing is awesome.I hope everthing works out for both of you!!!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Mike,

Email sent! What you are doing is a very selfless act that if others had your kind of courage, the world would be a much better place.

Bravo sir.

James
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM
pariah1107

Mike, Email sent.

A beautiful gesture on your part. Please have a successful surgery, and speedy recovery for both of you.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Selfless

Hi Mike,
I remember you telling me that you were going to donate a kidney to your friend.

I really think what you are doing is unbelievable! Good luck with the surgery and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

All my best,
Scott

PS, I will write Mr. Selig about retiring Roberto Clemente's number 21.
Keep the faith!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Dan Brown

Hi Mike, great courage and inspiration!! Way to step up to the plate! Best wishes to you and the recipient!!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Way to go Mike!

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Mike, get well. My Mom was born in Nicaragua and I had many family there during the 72 quake, so anything to do with Mr Clemente resonates with me. First series I ever watched was '71 and first bb cards '72 so this was a very formative time for me. Here's a pic of a cap my grandmother brought with her from Managua and one of the only things I have from her. Interesting choice of colors I think.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Steve Zarelli

Best of luck, Mike. My cap is off to you.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
Mike, get well. My Mom was born in Nicaragua and I had many family there during the 72 quake, so anything to do with Mr Clemente resonates with me. First series I ever watched was '71 and first bb cards '72 so this was a very formative time for me. Here's a pic of a cap my grandmother brought with her from Managua and one of the only things I have from her. Interesting choice of colors I think.

Amazing hat and a beautiful reminder of her. Thanks for sharing it with me.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Mikeknapp

Its been 5 years today since I made this post. I flew to San Francisco today to watch McCutchen and celebrate 5 years of health with my friend Howard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180501_152723.jpg (67.5 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Mike.jpg (71.9 KB, 335 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 05-01-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM
GaryPassamonte

You are a man to be honored for your wonderful gift.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Mike,

What an amazing gift to give. Thinking of both you and your friend. Wishing both a full speedy recovery. God bless and...I'll get the email sent for Mr. 21.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 05-01-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:39 PM
Tim Odeen

I hope you don't mind my religious input, but this is one of the nuggets that transcends religion.

Thank you for being an example to us all!

13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.... 17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-25-2022, 05:23 PM

My sympathies, Mike. What a beautiful testament to courage and friendship.

Great verse, Tim.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:03 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Sympathies Mike

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend - many times as hard or harder than losing family. May the memories of the times you shared together continue to fill your mind and heart.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.