NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Bill Boyd

Default o/t, looking for someone knowledgable in historical documents

I know this is not baseball, but it seems you guys have a wealth of knowledge and am hoping to tap into some of that knowledge which is out of the ordinary.
A recent pre 1800 bank book has come up for sale, oldest known bank book and issued by the first bank of NY. The bank book original owner was a 5x great grandfather of mine, but I have no idea what family has put this up for sale.
The original owner has a political history himself, and in this book it appears money was donated to known politicians, all lumped together on same stub. Hamilton (Alexander), Kent (a known Federalist) and Lee(Henry/Harry Lee was associate of James Kent and father of General Robert E. Lee, the father was also a Virginia congressman). A fourth I cannot read.
I have an idea why the money was donated but it is just speculation. There was something called the "panic of 1796 - 1797", and was like a stock market crash. Some high influential politicians went to prison because they could not pay their debts. Henry Lee was at least one of these.
Some of this information the book broker is not aware of.
I am not into historical documents, but because it is family, I am interested, but the selling price is 15K, I think too high.
If anyone has some knowledge in historical documents, especially in potential value, please send me a Pm.

Thank You

Attachment 158914

Attachment 158893

Last edited by billyb; 05-28-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Steven Finley

Seems fairly high considering a lack of a prominent signature/signatures, but I don't know the historical document market that well. Cool piece considering the family connection though!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Bill Boyd

Thanks Steven,
Actually, there are no signatures inside except for Robert Boyd, as far as I know.
Brooklyn has a historical museum and Robert Boyd is in that museum. Alexander Hamilton and Kent were involved in the creation of the Federalist papers, a prelude to our constitution. Robert Boyd's son has some hand in there somehow also. His name was Samuel Boyd, and a set of Federalist papers were in his personal library. Every title page had his signature. He also was an attorney for Hamilton, and they together with a few other men, created the Saturday Evening Post.
So connection with Hamilton was strong.
It is hard to judge a value on an item without knowing all the facts, so forgive my rambling on.

Last edited by billyb; 08-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 AM
pariah1107

These are remarkable but I'd hesitate to put a fixed value on them without further research....

Last edited by pariah1107; 08-31-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Bill Boyd

Ty,
Yes, understand completely. Hopefully, will have family member taking a look at the item in person, if they will allow us to do so.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 PM

I do some collecting in early manuscript pieces.

With regard to value, it seems Book Sellers and Manuscript Sellers usually price items about 5 to 10 times their actual value. Also, I always ask myself "what really makes this piece historically interesting to me and to other collectors (in case you are ever planning to unload it)".

With this item, I just don't see any real demand. No autographs of importance and no definable tie to any important event. I only see it as interesting to a descendent (you) or possibly the Bank of New York. Personally, I think their best potential buyer is you - but not at that kind of price.

Just my personal thoughts,
Rob M.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 AM
Bill Boyd

Rob,

Thank you, that is why I asked members here to respond so as I can get an unbiased opinion. I appreciate your response. Would I resell it, I doubt if I would. I would probably donate it to either the Library of Congress or to the museum in Brooklyn where Robert is already displayed, especially if resale value is not too strong.
Think I will have to take a step back from this item for the time being. It may come down in price.
Thank you Rob