NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Default 30's Detroit Tigers autos help Greenberg, Gehringer

I've come across a fellow that has an autograph book. Here is what he presented:
AUTOGRAPH BOOK FOUND WHILE MOVING. THE FOLLOWING AUTOGRAPHS OF THE 1938 DETROIT TIGERS AT THE LAKELAND, FLORIDA TIGERS TRAINING CAMP. GOOSE GOSLIN, SCHOOLBOY ROWE, DIZZY TROUT, HANK GREENBERG, CHAS GEHRINGER, RUDY YORK ELDEN AULCER, CY PERKINS, MICKEY COCHRANE, JOJO WHILE, GERRY WALKER, BILL ROG, VIE SORRELL, SLICK COFFMAN, ROXIE LAWSON, AL SIMMONS. EACH ON AN INDIVIDUAL PAGE IN A GRAY AUTOGRAPH BOOKLETT. VALUE - PRICELESS!!

He says it was his mother's, but he is not positive on the year. He's asking $1000. I think that might be a bit high. I've included a few pictures that he sent me (everybody always sends me blurry cell phone pictures). Do you think that these autos are legit and that this book is worth pursuing? What do you feel a fair price to offer on this would be? What year do you think this is from? It must have been an accumulation over several years. I don't think all these guys played for the Tigers at the same time. I have my thoughts, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the experts because you guys are awesome. Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gehringer.JPG (30.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Greenberg 1.JPG (30.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg trout.JPG (32.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

If they're good, I think they would have been signed in multiple years. Goslin played on Det from 34-37, Simmons in 36, Trout 39-52, Coffman 37-39 etc etc.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
If they're good, I think they would have been signed in multiple years. Goslin played on Det from 34-37, Simmons in 36, Trout 39-52, Coffman 37-39 etc etc.
I was thinking that too, but Coffman and Trout started their careers in Detroit and this was at Spring Training. Could it be possible that they were minor league invitees to spring training? Not sure if it worked the same way back then as it does today.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Ya know, it might be from 37 spring training. Simmons went to Washington on April 4th 1937 and Trout was traded to Detroit in late 36 but could have been at spring training in 37.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

See what I started? I have to get ready for an outing, but I want to stay here and play detective. That's what makes this hobby so fun. Finding a piece of history and researching its origins. Thanks for the help so far. I'll be anxious to get back and do some more digging.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default $1000 asking price . . .

. . . (imo) is not completely unreasonable, but would represent a absolute ceiling as far as break-down retail value goes. Kept together, perhaps a small premium is justified. Regardless, getting much harder to find autograph album books that have been kept intact from this era. I certainly would not turn away from adding it to my collection for the right price. But $1000 would be far too rich to prompt me to buy. If it were me, I'd shoot for $600-$650 as a nice mid-point. Not rock bottom wholesale, but not chump change either.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 06-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's kinda hard to say with the fuzzy photos but the Greenberg looks good to me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM

In adding up the break value, it is worth about $1000 tops (as Vincent said) and while it would be a fair value on the book, it certainly is not a bargain at that price.

Rhys
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking on those exact lines. I was thinking on coming in at $500 and maxing out at $650.

I'm hoping they are not signed on the front and back of a page and are on a completely seperate page. Though that would solve the problem of breaking it up keeping it intact. Still not sure the best way to go with that.

JSA just happens to be in town tomorrow at a local card show. I was thinking about perhaps buying it and taking it right to JSA to authenticate.

Do you think it would be too bold to ask that I pay for an authentication and if it passes, I would agree to purchase it? I have never done an on site authentication before. Do you get your item back that same day?

Would that be considered a single item with multiple signatures, like a team ball or would they charge me authentication for each signature?

Thanks for the help. Still new at purchasing bigger items.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I wouldn't say that's too bold...you have to be sure about your purchase and if you are both in town and plan to go to the show, then why not. Would be a very smart move if I had $650 on the line...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Bought the album. Had it authenticated by JSA. Everything passed. Will have the LOA in 2 weeks. I decided to have it authenticated as a single piece.

I think I have it pinpointed to Spring Training 1937. Al Simmons did in fact participate in Spring Training 1937 with the Tigers. He even reported a week early because he heard rumors that he was on the trading block and wanted to get a head start on the younger guys. Slick Coffman was also called up to his first Spring Training with the big club in 1937.

The previous owner said that his mother had her picture taken with this exact book while giving it to Eldon Auker to be signed and the picture was published in the Detroit Times. He can't find the picture so I'm going to see if I can somehow find it.

Love the book. Thanks for the advice and help!!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Very cool, and congrats! Definitely try and get a copy of the newspaper with the picture in it.