NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Default MLB Prepared To Ban A-Rod For Life

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2606319
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

If you read what they are saying. Only if he does not go along with everyone else. It wont happen but it is about time if it does.
I am so tired of people saying Braun should give back his MVP award. Then so should Bonds, A Rod and all the other plus the Cy Yound winners. If MLB is going to take a stand do it to everyone and stop just picking out the stars. It is time to start all over and clean up this mess. First time 100 next time good by.
News update

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/us/ale...html?hpt=hp_t2

Last edited by shelly; 08-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM

First time, goodbye.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Jake Dahl

MLB needs to quit saying and start doing. Take away records and awards from all who cheated or were banned, agree with Shelly lets clean up and move on.

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 08-01-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Mike

According to reports there are 18 players on the biogenesis list that will be suspended, all players on the list should be suspended for the same amount of time. You can't selectively choose who gets more or less for the same violation of the drug policy. AROD admitted to using in the in the past. Whether MLB choose or not to punish him for that is in the past. Was there an agreement between AROD and MLB that if your caught a second time we are going to to treat you different then the other players in the future if they violate the MLB drug Policy. MLB has no concrete policy on PED's suspension time. Pretty simple solution ZERO Tolerance Drug Policy 1st Offense 1 year Suspension without pay 2nd Offense Life Time Ban. Will it deter Players,in the future no if you don't have a
strict Policy in place. Selective Enforcement penalties do not work to prevent anything in today's society.
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 08-01-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM

I think they are more pissed at Arod for recruiting other players for Bosch. I don't think they care as much that Arod used.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think they are more pissed at Arod for recruiting other players for Bosch. I don't think they care as much that Arod used.
Yes. Plus, from reports I've heard, Arods penalty will be extra stiff in part due to his efforts to tamper with witnesses and evidence.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Scott

I'm a Yankees fan, but NOTHING would give me more satisfaction than this guy getting banned for life. Bud wants to do the detrimental to BB Clause, so A Fraud couldn't appeal. He has disgraced teh game , even far beyond all the other cheating roid users. NOTHING he has done IMO means anything.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Yes. Plus, from reports I've heard, Arods penalty will be extra stiff in part due to his efforts to tamper with witnesses and evidence.
Yeah, that kind of stuff does not go over well with commissioners or prosecutors.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

A-Rod is as good as gone. If he doesn't get a lifetime ban, he will be suspended for the rest of this season and the next one too. He will be hitting 40 by the time he is eligible to play again, plus off the field for two years......forget about it.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM

He would never retire though. He's clearly stupid, but not so stupid as to voluntarily walk away from the remaining, what? 100 million plus on his contract? Baseball needs him to be banned. The Yankees need him to be banned even more.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Scott

Quote:
He would never retire though. He's clearly stupid, but not so stupid as to voluntarily walk away from the remaining, what? 100 million plus on his contract? Baseball needs him to be banned. The Yankees need him to be banned even more.
+100 million
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Wondering what TheNavarro thinks about Nellie Cruz' involvement...I know that's his daughter's idol and one of his favorite players.

Navarro, does this affect your opinion of Cruz? How is your daughter handling the news?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Mike

Either way If AROD gets a lifetime Ban he will not loose the 100 million, speculation is that he will retire due to hip injury and collect some if not all of his contract money through his/there's yankee's insurance policy. The best thing he can do is take the suspension and retire due to Hip Injury and collect from his insurance policy. Win Win for him
Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Certainly the Yankees are lobbying hard behind the scenes for a lifetime ban. Despite the embarrassment, it will save them $60 million or so on the last years of the contract.

What I can't believe is that there isn't already some sort of clause that would allow the team to sever the contract for violations of this sort.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM

I think that there is. If a player is banned or retires voluntarily don't they forfeit the remaining balance of their contracts? I know Albert Belle specifically did not retire so that he could continue to collect his contract money while injured.

Last edited by packs; 08-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I think that's definitely needed. I'm sure the Brewers would love to be able to void, or st the very least renegotiate Braun's PED-induced contract. A-Rod has consistently carried himself as someone who could buy his way out of anything, someone to whom the rules do not apply. It's high time he's shown he was wrong in that assumption. If they can ban Joe Jackson for basically not blowing the whistle on his teammates, or Pete Rose for gambling, then A-Rod should most definitely join that list for repeatedly cheating, obstruction of an ongoing investigation and his role in contaminating the game by basically recruiting for Biogenesis. Good riddance.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
I think that there is. If a player is banned or retires voluntarily don't they forfeit the remaining balance of their contracts? I know Albert Belle specifically did not retire so that he could continue to collect his contract money while injured.
I understand that and I understand if he is banned for life, the Yanks are off the hook.

What I meant is, if he gets suspended for a year and a half due to PEDs, that in itself should be enough for the team to sever the contract. You'd think there would be some sort of clause that gives the team an out when a player commits a serious crime or serious violation of baseball's rules.

What if a player committed an assault and went to prison for 3 years? Could they just come back after three years and pick up the remaining part of the contract like nothing ever happened? Kinda shocking if the answer is "yes."

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 08-01-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM

I agree. I remember when Alex admitted steroid use the first time around the Yankees were trying to do all they could to get out of his contract. But there wasn't anything they could do because he hadn't been punished by the league and what he admitted to wasn't against the rules at the time.

Speaking of going to jail, I think Aaron Hernandez will still receive the guaranteed portion of his contract even if he is found guilty of murder. Pretty incredible if that is true.

Last edited by packs; 08-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I believe the CBA agreement doesn't allow voiding of contracts for PED use. If the player is banned for life, that might be the exception.

Duly note that a lot of the stuff ARod is being accused of isn't just PED use, but alleged attempting to destroy evidence during an investigation, lying to MLB, recruiting other players to biogenesis and coercing a witness. So the issue with ARod isn't just a "failed urine test" and isn't just PED use.

Also note that Braun accepted a suspension longer than the normal and expected 50 day suspension for first time. This means there was more to it than just a first time PED failure.

Last edited by drcy; 08-01-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I believe the CBA agreement doesn't allow voiding of contracts for PED use. If the player is banned for life, that might be the exception.

Duly note that a lot of the stuff ARod is being accused of isn't just PED use, but alleged attempting to destroy evidence during an investigation, lying to MLB, recruiting other players to biogenesis and coercing a witness. So the issue with ARod isn't just a "failed urine test" and isn't just PED use.

Also note that Braun accepted a suspension longer than the normal and expected 50 day suspension for first time. This means there was more to it than just a first time PED failure.
All good points. With Braun though, it wasn't realllly a first offense. His acquittal the first time around was a technicality and a joke. Braun bartered the suspension he received because MLB approached him with the option of negotiating a suspension that he wouldn't appeal. Had he chose to appeal the suspension, MLB would likely have pushed for longer.