NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Volod Volod is offline
Steve
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NEOH
Posts: 751
Default

I ponder much the same issues every day: Wondering what the best course would be to follow in disposing of the collection. The thought that usually wins out is assuming that I will be able to control the disposition somehow after my demise and hoping that in the spirit realm I will no longer suffer from the obsessive need to hoard stuff.
Al - if I were a ballplayer, I think I would very much dislike owners and executives comingling with the money paid by fans to see me play.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2018, 05:01 PM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 663
Default

Interesting reading, as I ponder my continued failed efforts to be any type of set collector. This is bad timing, as officially I am back in the mode of going after a few ('67 Topps has been this year's theme) right now - but if I'm being candid - we'll see how long that lasts.

I'm 41, and besides my volumuous boxes of wax junk-era crap from my childhood that I can't bear to get rid of, the bulk of my collection that I really care about lives on one shelf in my closet. These are stacks of toploaders and a dozen or so more expensive graded vintage cards that I'm really into. I have 2 daughters (currently 12 and 8...) and besides having succesfully made them both into Chicago Cubs fans, I doubt they will ever seriously be interested in baseball cards. These posts make a good case to stick with a smaller collection of the few things that you are really into, and while I don't think of myself as "old" yet...things are certainly not going in the other direction.
__________________
1950's-70's HOF singles. Pre-war Cubs. Random eBay impulse purchases...

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-28-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-28-2018, 06:57 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Interesting reading, as I ponder my continued failed efforts to be any type of set collector. This is bad timing, as officially I am back in the mode of going after a few ('67 Topps has been this year's theme) right now - but if I'm being candid - we'll see how long that lasts.

I'm 41, and besides my volumuous boxes of wax junk-era crap from my childhood that I can't bear to get rid of, the bulk of my collection that I really care about lives on one shelf in my closet. These are stacks of toploaders and a dozen or so more expensive graded vintage cards that I'm really into. I have 2 daughters (currently 12 and 8...) and besides having succesfully made them both into Chicago Cubs fans, I doubt they will ever seriously be interested in baseball cards. These posts make a good case to stick with a smaller collection of the few things that you are really into, and while I don't think of myself as "old" yet...things are certainly not going in the other direction.
John, we could be brothers in every respect....except the Cub part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 PM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
John, we could be brothers in every respect....except the Cub part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


Ha!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1950's-70's HOF singles. Pre-war Cubs. Random eBay impulse purchases...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 6,848
Default

Speaking of junk wax, John, I just purchased a collection that was 80% 1990s junk. I told the disappointed seller that I wouldn't pay him for it because I did not see any actual value there but I would haul it away for him and see if I could trade it to my local card store. My LCS didn't want to trade for it and didn't even want it for free as a toss-in with the cards I did trade them. I ended up putting 50# of shiny crap into the recycling last week.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Speaking of junk wax, John, I just purchased a collection that was 80% 1990s junk. I told the disappointed seller that I wouldn't pay him for it because I did not see any actual value there but I would haul it away for him and see if I could trade it to my local card store. My LCS didn't want to trade for it and didn't even want it for free as a toss-in with the cards I did trade them. I ended up putting 50# of shiny crap into the recycling last week.
I wish I could have all the $ I spent as a teenager on wax back now to buy vintage...
__________________
1950's-70's HOF singles. Pre-war Cubs. Random eBay impulse purchases...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 PM
CobbSpikedMe's Avatar
CobbSpikedMe CobbSpikedMe is offline
Andy H.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 965
Default

Adam,

That Chuck Connors is awesome! I never knew the Rifleman had a baseball card. That's one of my favorite old shows too. Thanks for sharing that man.
__________________
I'm always looking for t206's with purple numbers stamped on the back like the one in my avatar.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM
bbcard1 bbcard1 is offline
T0dd M@rcum
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,604
Default

FWIW, full sets are as readily liquidatable as star cards if you do them as a clump and not try to break them up. Granted, there is a "full set" discount in most situations, but that's equally true if you trade them for a ruth/cobb. Outside of a few monster cards, it's hard to trade for something you know will be a home run.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM
toad strangler toad strangler is offline
Dan Youngblood
Da,n Young.blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'm only 53 but wanted to cut down the volume of my collection. What I decided to do was get rid of the bulk and replace it with cards I always liked and wanted to own. Not necessarily marquee cards, either. Start with a list of the cards you want. If you don't want to bust up the sets and do the eBay selling, which is where you will net the most, I'd say consign to LOTG. I did with much of my exhibit card sets. Al did very well by my sets. Then buy the cards you really want to own. To wit:


Having a more limited volume of cards is very liberating.
At the age of 35 I realized my collecting habits weren't getting me anywhere. At the time I was not a believer in graded yet (around 2004 or so) and had mountains of "junk wax" all over the place. That's when I decided I needed a real focus and began collecting 1978 Topps in minimum PSA 9 grade. My pockets aren't deep enough to chase older vintage and I had a habit of collecting as many new children as I did cards lol. Anyway, so I purged the mountains of firewood I had and what a thrill it was to chase the best set of my childhood in high grade. So that's what my collection centers on. 1978 Topps. This will never be truly finished as I am slowly upgrading to PSA 10's but it's finished enough to feel a great accomplishment. I can now go after other graded endeavors although it won't be another monster complete set. So, yes it was very liberating to get out from underneath all of that junk (late 80's early 90's) which I had no idea what to do with.

Last edited by toad strangler; 12-08-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on spotting a stamped signature on a vintage card frankhardy Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 5 10-19-2014 05:04 PM
Trading Advice robw1959 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 09-11-2013 10:17 AM
Advice On Selling Entire Collection Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 10-24-2007 10:19 AM
Will Trade Entire 19th Cent. Collection For Advice / Suggestions Re: Card Scanning Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 01-24-2006 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.


ebay GSB