NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Default Comparing Boxers with Baseball Players

Posted By: Andy Baran

I was an avid baseball card collector before I sold my collection and turned my attention to boxing cards. For this reason, I tend to compare vintage heavyweight boxing with vintage baseball. I'm not sure if anyone else does this. Just thought I would share this concept with everyone to see your thoughts. The way it works is as follows:

BLANK is to Boxing as BLANK is to Baseball

Here is how I see it. There are no right or wrong answers.

John L. Sullivan - Cap Anson (first 2 true superstars in their respective sports)
Jim Corbett - Mike Kelly (overshadowed by Sullivan and Anson in collectors eyes)
Bob Fitzsimmons - Nap Lajoie (both under-rated)
Jim Jeffries - Honus Wagner (not including the T206)
Jack Johnson - Ty Cobb (keys to any turn of the century set - Cobb would roll over in his grave if he heard this comparison)
Jess Willard - Walter Johnson (both huge men from Kansas)
Jack Dempsey - Babe Ruth (2 most popular athletes of the 20's)
Gene Tunney - Lou Gehrig (overshadowed by Dempsey and Ruth in collectors eyes)
Joe Louis - Jackie Robinson (no explanation necessary)
Rocky Marciano - Joe DiMaggio (popular Italian Americans)
Muhammad Ali - Mickey Mantle (popularity among collectors)
Joe Frazier - Willie Mays (overshadowed by Ali and Mantle in collectors eyes)

That's enough for now. I think you get the picture. Am I the only one who wastes time thinking about this?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

When I first got into collecting boxing it was because I liked older material and I couldn't really afford Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb cards and memorabilia and I wanted to collect an iconic athlete from the early 20th century or so.

Jack Johnson is the boxer I latched on to and it pretty much snowballed from there.

I can't say I've struggled with any of the same comparisons you have. Interesting concept though.

Who's Harry Greb in the baseball world? Died young, fought a ton of fights but not a lot of material on him and extremely popular among collectors.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Nguyen

Christy Mathewson - died young, top 5 pitcher of all time, top tier HOFer, original HOF class inductee.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Maybe Addie Joss?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Babe Ruth: Muhammad Ali. The greatest personalities of the 20th century in their respective sports.

Lou Gehrig: Gene Tunney. In the shadows of their predecessors.

Nolan Ryan: George Foreman. Who wants to play forever?

Mickey Mantle: Max Baer. Playboys who pissed away the chance to be the greatest of them all.

Pete Rose: Jake La Motta. Doomed by their own personalities.

Rafael Palmiero: Fernando Vargas. They both got caught.

Barry Bonds: Shane Moseley. Same script, different sports. In an interview with ESPN.com Moseley said: "Unknowingly, yes, some of the substances they are talking about, were being used as part of the workouts. I didn't know what the hell it was." Riiighhhttt....

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Tommy Burns --- Eddie Collins -----> Somehow never mentioned when the subject of great baseball'ers/boxers are brought up.