NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Walter Johnson's personally owned pocket watch w/provenance

Posted By: javan brigham

I have decided to sell the last significant piece of my collection. It is a pocket watch personally owned by "The Big Train" Walter Johnson with excellent provenance. The watch is not currently in working order but could be repaired by a watchmaker. On the back is engraved:

Maryland Fox Hunters
Association
1929 Field Trials
First Award-All Age Stake
Won By
Rock-Walter Johnson
Owner

(Rock was the name of the dog that won this particular competition. You can read about Johnson's love for hunting with his prized dogs following his playing career in his biography Walter Johnson-Baseball's Big Train by Henry W. Thomas. If you own it, please read p.329 to corroborate)
I obtained it in 2006 from a man in Kentucky whose father was a personal friend of Johnson. The watch is accompanied by a signed letter from this man explaining the history of the watch. I'll be glad to provide the details for anyone interested. A one of a kind piece personally owned by the greatest pitcher of all time.
Price is $650 shipped/insured

Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator

A one of a kind piece I would like to go to a good, appreciative home.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

I wish I could buy it. Walter Johnson is the great grandfather of my best friend's son. And there is a clear family resemblence.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

Email me about this piece if it's still available please.

abravefan@msn.com

Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I'm sure most are saving for upcoming auctions but I'd love to find a home for this piece. It's not a pocket watch you would likely use as it needs work(a new crystal, hands, and a good cleaning). But it sits in an attractive little glass and wood diplay case with transparent back so the inscription is readable. I had a nice $30,000+ collection once and this piece would attract more attention than any card I ever had. A PERSONAL ARTIFACT FROM WALTER JOHNSON-and it comes with a signed letter of provenance which explains its story. If you are only interested in objects that you can look up values for in a price guide, I guess this is not for you. But if you love the idea of looking up at the same time piece The Big Train once looked at...shoot me an e-mail and I'll send photos. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

This is still available-I think its a great deal on a unique piece with great provenance.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Miller

Javasn,

email sent

Don Miller rellim@abe.midco.net

Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

This is a cool piece but everyone who has emailed me seems to be expecting a beautiful and functional watch. It needs significant work and is not currently running but it is encased in a nice display case and has great provenance tracing it back to The Big Train. ONE OF A KIND. GREAT DISPLAY PIECE.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

How about posting a picture of it?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Old 06-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Administrator

I have reduced this again to $650 shipped/insured. I was able to contact Walter Johnson's grandson, Henry Thomas, who wrote the Johnson biography. He was able to confirm details in the letter of provenance that I have. He said that he owns many trophies and awards won by Johnson's prize-winning dogs. This is a great chance to own something personally owned by Johnson.