NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If Cobb prices can't come close to Ruth, how can we expect Mantle and Williams to?
+1
Old 03-13-2018, 04:28 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Maybe the only one to come close to Ruth could be Gehrig . But yet Gehrig never transcended baseball as Ruth did.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Cobb never had the celebrity that Ruth had and is a poor comparison. Yes, Ruth was an all world talent like Cobb, but his autograph is not expensive solely because of how well he played baseball. I would say Mantle and DiMaggio shared a similar spotlight in public consciousness in comparison to Ruth, though of course Ruth is always king.

When people talk about the greatest active player, Mike Trout's name is usually brought up. When people talk about how great a player Trout is, the man they typically compare him to is Mickey Mantle, not Ty Cobb.

I think in the long run Mantle outpaces DiMaggio but I think both players will see their memorabilia increasingly rise as time goes on and they may be some of only a handful of players who are immune to time and shifting generations.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

This doesn't pertain as much to certain players as it does to future values in general. I (was) a member of Autographs 101 on Facebook and they had over 20,000 members as well as other autograph social media sights with thousands of members each. Every one of them wants a Mantle as bad as a Mike Trout (granted the average age is these members is probably around 20). They want to show off that they have all the autographs of the current superstars.

Bottom line, kids/young adults are still collecting baseball autographs today in probably a bigger proportion than they did when I was a kid. I am hoping/banking that a 1% of these kids will grow up, become wealthy and then want to go after the HOFers of past generations. Not just the Mantles/Mays but also the Bottomleys and Wagners.

My guess is that Trout signed more autographs last year than Wagner signed in a lifetime. Supply (excluding forgeries) isn't growing for deceased HOFers, I am hoping that the Demand will.

Last edited by tazdmb; 03-14-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Cobb never had the celebrity that Ruth had and is a poor comparison.
Okay, well that'll shut me up - you've still got the touch.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Do you disagree? It's not a critique, just what I think.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I don't see why any player would "catch up" to another. I would think as time moves on, values for everyone would increase proportionally. But it'd still be Ruth > Cobb > Mantle, etc. I don't think Mantle would jump exponentially and not see a similar increase in Ruth's value. What would, 20+ years after Mantle signed his last autograph, predicate such a drastic spike in his value that wouldn't also effect the value of Ruth?

EDIT: Or is the question simply, in a vacuum, will a Mantle signed baseball ever command $15K (or whatever a nice Ruth currently sells for)? If that's the question, it would depend on the direction the hobby goes in over the next 60 years or so. Who can say? Personally I'd like to think in 2080 there will be some young collector dreaming of owning a Mantle the way people today dream of owning a Ruth.

Last edited by dgo71; 03-14-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Kevin

I’ve been collecting Mantle and DiMaggio for years now (10+), and I can find nice, clean examples of both for roughly the same amount or slightly less now than I was in 2008. I don’t ever see either of their prices jumping too drastically. I just picked up two very clean DiMaggio and Mantle balls last week. Both full LOAs. I paid $375 on Joe and $450 on Mantle.