NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Joe

Default Grades with Paper Loss

All,

Thanks for all the great information in advance! Since I'm new to the grading era, I'm absorbing a lot of great information around this process.

Question...

How heavily do grading companies weight paperloss in their grading. Let's just assume it is back paper loss and the front is fine.

A. I've seen large paperloss on the back of cards and get an SGC 20 / 1.5
B. I've seen a great looking card on front with minimum paperloss on the back and get an SGC 10 / 1.
C. I've seen a card with no paper loss, but really rounded corners get an SGC 30 / 2.

I guess my question is I have seen some inconsenstency with the grading scales when it comes to back of card paper loss, but over all it seems to really bring down the card on the grading system.

Thoughts and experiences?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Joe

I just found a good example....

A. T206 W. Johnson, NO paper loss, rounded corners, SGC 30 / 2 @ $450

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-1911-T206-W...item1c182889c8

B. A. T206 W. Johnson, Paper Loss, nicer corners, SGC 10 / 1 @ $550

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-1911-T206-W...item20b61e626d

To make things more complex, these cards are offered by the same seller and he priced the SGC 10, $100 more. It seems like SGC weighted the paper loss heavily, but the SGC 10 is more desirable (at least per the pricing of the seller).
Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Back damage aside, that 10 is one hell of a nice looking card. The 30's just ok looking. I think that pricing makes sense. I've heard many people on here say, "buy the card, not the holder", and in this case I'd have to agree. I mean if I had that kind of money to throw around, I'd go with the 10. If I were to save up for one of these cards, I'd obviously save the $100 and go with the cheap one. It's all in the buyer's perspective, everyone's different.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Joe

I agree, the SGC 10 looks great and though I am new, I would say that card should be graded higher. The paper loss seems to be minimal.

Is there a process to see if SGC (or any other company) would review and reconsider the grade?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I think it depends on the card and how you rank card wear and damage. On your two examples, I would much rather have the 10, its just a much better looking card imo even with the paper loss than the other. I buy the card not the holder so while I consider the grade, it gets down to which I like better at each price point.

Here are two cards in my collection that I paid more for when I could have bought higher graded versions for less, I love exhibits with EX to NM++ fronts and back damage-

Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Joe you are confusing why a card gets the grade it gets vs how the card looks and appeals to you. The 10 Wajo deserves the grade it got based on the damage it has on the back, thats its technicial grade but each of us does our own grading/value based on our own factors.

An example, some people are centering freaks and thats there most important factor for them and they would much rather have a well centered 6 vs a 7 thats a little OC.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Pup6913

You could send it to PSA. I am sure that the SGC 10 WOJO would cross to a 4-5 on their scale Paper loss is damage no matter what, and SGC is not that inconsistant. They are strict and fair and this is the reason they are trusted by many collectors. Many collectors will pay for the fronts over the backs because thats what you are buying them for right?

the one on the left has paper loss and the one on the right is fully intact. Paid more for the nice front than the crappy front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (74.9 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Pup6913; 01-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Joe

Thanks for all the good info gentlemen.

It is one thing to buy a card because it my preference, but if I am going to pay $500+ for a card, it then becomes part investment decision as well (at least for me!).

I just wanted some level of confidence that other collectors would be on the same page and find value in a nice looking front with paper loss on the back and if I ever upgrade / sell, I could recover what I spent.

No one ever answered this, but is there a process for sending to SGC for other consideration. Other than cracking it open and resubmitting and hoping the guy has a better day of grading?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Pup6913

submit it for a cross over and put a minimum grade requirement on it.