NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Ben

Default PayPal case opened against me by buyer

I sold a card and it was paid for on 1/3/2017 and now 4/4/2017 the buyer states that they didn't authorize the purchase. This item was listed for a certain price or best offer. I accepted their best offer. and now 3 freaking months later they want their money back. Wal-Mart doesn't even accept returns after 60 days.

What can I do? PayPal says that they are reviewing this as soon as possible. At this time, they need no further action or information from me. Will they ask for my argument?

I will just stop now and wait for the comments.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Kin K.

Hoping for the best for you. This is why I'm afraid to even sell high priced items to people I don't know.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Ben

total with shipping was $103.50
Old 04-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Some of these buyers have mental issues, substance abuse problems, alcohol issues, etc. Wake up three months later and have Buyers remorse. Feel bad for them whatever the issue is but tough luck. Not your problem.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Get your documents in order:
1) Where the item was sold from (eBay, board message, emails, etc).
2) Find your tracking number to prove delivery.

There is a scam going around because eBay auctions only stay in eBay's history for two months. So sellers enter the tracking number there, to prove the item was delivered, and normally throw out the tracking receipt once the item shows delivered. So if they get a PayPal chargeback between 3-6 months, 90% of sellers won't have the tracking number to prove it was delivered.
My expectation is that PayPal will either force you to take the return, or they'll refund the buyer out of their own pocket and possibly lock the buyer's account.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Some of these buyers have mental issues, substance abuse problems, alcohol issues, etc. Wake up three months later and have Buyers remorse. Feel bad for them whatever the issue is but tough luck. Not your problem.
But will PayPal just side with the Buyer or will I have a chance to say how dumb this is??? If I made a mistake in the listing, I would accept a return.... If buyer got the card and didn't like it and wanted to return it within two weeks, yea i would accept return if card was in same condition. (this card was graded)..

But this is not my fault... It's not my fault that they made and offer and I accepted it... I thought it says that you are agreeing to pay for the item if you win whenever you bid or make an offer.

I just haven't had a problem with selling cards. Maybe I can sell it for more the 2nd time. Joke will be on them.

and how would i go about blocking this ebay id from seeing/bidding/thinking about bidding/making offers/thinking about making offer on my auctions???
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Get your documents in order:
1) Where the item was sold from (eBay, board message, emails, etc).
2) Find your tracking number to prove delivery.

There is a scam going around because eBay auctions only stay in eBay's history for two months. So sellers enter the tracking number there, to prove the item was delivered, and normally throw out the tracking receipt once the item shows delivered. So if they get a PayPal chargeback between 3-6 months, 90% of sellers won't have the tracking number to prove it was delivered.
My expectation is that PayPal will either force you to take the return, or they'll refund the buyer out of their own pocket and possibly lock the buyer's account.

January 5, 2017, 12:03 pm Delivered, In/At Mailbox TOMS RIVER, NJ 08757
Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 12:03 pm on January 5, 2017 in TOMS RIVER, NJ 08757.
January 5, 2017, 9:26 am Out for Delivery TOMS RIVER, NJ 08757
January 5, 2017, 9:12 am Sorting Complete TOMS RIVER, NJ 08757
January 5, 2017, 3:31 am Arrived at Post Office TOMS RIVER, NJ 08753
January 4, 2017, 10:32 pm Departed USPS Destination Facility KEARNY, NJ 07032
January 4, 2017, 9:38 pm Arrived at USPS Facility KEARNY, NJ 07032
January 4, 2017, 6:00 am Departed USPS Facility LOUISVILLE, KY 40231
January 3, 2017, 11:25 pm Arrived at USPS Origin Facility LOUISVILLE, KY 40231
January 3, 2017, 10:10 pm Accepted at USPS Origin Facility LOUISVILLE, KY 40229
January 3, 2017, 7:57 pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item LOUISVILLE, KY 40229
January 3, 2017 Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

I found the tracking... it was delivered. ughhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

The buyer may have forgotten they bought the item. I had something similar happen before.

A guy bought an item from me, and when his wife saw the charge, she asked him about it and he told her he didn't remember buying anything. She thought the charge was fraudulent, so she opened up a case with PP. I sent her a message with the pertinent purchase information and she dropped the case.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
The buyer may have forgotten they bought the item. I had something similar happen before.

A guy bought an item from me, and when his wife saw the charge, she asked him about it and he told her he didn't remember buying anything. She thought the charge was fraudulent, so she opened up a case with PP. I sent her a message with the pertinent purchase information and she dropped the case.

I can't message the seller because the item sold 3 months ago and eBay only tracks sales for 2 months.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Ben - YOU ARE RIGHT!

Regardless what the outcome ends up being - you are on the right side of this - regardless of what FUpaymepal says!! I would try to get someone on the phone asap - before you see a message that they have "decided" the issue without your input. All of that said - it's $100 and not worth losing sleep over - do your best to show what's right and facilitate a just outcome - let go of the results and move on in peace.
I don't recall the steps to blocking a bidder, but if you google "blocking a bidder on ebay" I am sure you will find a set of instructions.

good luck and keep us posted.

Howard
Old 04-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

I just sent something to Toms River yesterday....think I'll keep the USPS receipt.

Good luck with this case. It seems crazy that they could go back that far and try to make a return.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Ben

seller id was/is bobkats151
Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

Thanks, Ben. Luckily that was not the guy that won my card this week.

To block a bidder you just need to go to My Ebay Account/Site Preferences and then select Buyer Requirements. Click the Show and then Edit button and then go to the bottom of the page. On the far right, there is a link to "blocked list" where you can enter his User ID.

I've only had to do that for a couple of folks that didn't pay after winning an auction.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBen View Post
I can't message the seller because the item sold 3 months ago and eBay only tracks sales for 2 months.
Go into your Paypal account and look up the transaction and it should have the buyer's email address.

Rob M
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Paypal allows buyers to file a claim up to 180 days after the transaction. As mentioned, I would call Paypal before the decision is made to refund the money. If the buyer says they didn't authorize the claim then they shouldn't have the item. That could end up being an issue.
James
Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Go into your Paypal account and look up the transaction and it should have the buyer's email address.

Rob M
I don't know is contacting the buyer via their email is a good idea.
James
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Ben

Just got off the phone with PayPal.... thanks for that advice... so they state that buyer:bobkats151 is disputing the charge with their credit card company. I told the representative everything that I have stated previously. He thought the situation was ridiculous as well. The representative also stated that PayPal wins most of the cases of this type. I sent them documentation of all info regarding the situation.

I think I will be alright.

Now lets get back to talking about cards.

Last edited by VintageBen; 04-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Dave

Quote:
seller id was/is bobkats151

They have several feedback over the past month, so they are still an active buyer.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:03 PM

eBay has a fail safe for this stuff. If someone made a buy without consent they would have to not only have the eBay user password but the paypal password as well. Nothing about what the buyer says makes any sense.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post

That charge was probably stuck between the hotel room she never stayed at and the flowers she never received.

Funny that she worried about a baseball card...
Old 04-06-2017, 06:08 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Atleast once a month, I get a buyer who says that they never received item even though tracking info says it was delivered. I also have had buyers who wanted to return their items after the 14 days which goes beyond the 14 days stated in my listings.

Several times they opened Paypal case against me. If the item was returned within 14 days for any reason, I have no problem giving them a refund. If they open a case for any of the reasons that I mentioned in first paragraph, then I would respond to the case online. In addition, I call Paypal directly. This is important to speak to a live person. If you are in the right, they will investigate the case. If the Seller has done everything right, they will usually go in their favor. Also, make sure that you block the Buyer so you don't have to deal with them again.

There are a lot of people out there trying to rip Sellers off. As a Seller, you need to keep your tracking records and be aggressive by calling Paypal or eBay(depending on where the case is open). It has worked for me.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just added him to my blocked list. Thanks for posting the ID.

Any time anyone runs into an a-hole eBay bidder it should be reported here so all of the other sellers can block the jerk. If eBay and PayPal won't take steps to address these scammers then we need to do it ourselves. Unfortunately, knee-capping is not realistic.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-06-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Ben

Default Just messaged the buyer and this was their response.

This is cray!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1454.jpg (9.5 KB, 392 views)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Ben

What the what
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1469.jpg (10.5 KB, 386 views)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Scott Russell

sounding more and more like his wife got pissed he spent the money and is doing things without telling him.

here's my entire blocked bidder list. Can't remember why they're all on there so ban at the risk of losing someone you might be happy with, but after almost 20 years on ebay I certainly don't think I ban too easily. Hope there's nobody from net54 on the list!!!

49ers58, 543ca86a97f4c8344527b98cc713ac1852925, adambombsaway, banknote1, baseballcardlover2010, bslentz, bythesky, carroll_cards, consolidated*subsistencies, dadztoyz101, danie_lapi, dsabean75s4, gabe.lucil, gensbro, goudeystars, gwei3955, kentan2629, lexus4lif, luckyone77777, mfuqua1856, moneybecomesking, richarodne_qdyaebcu, roundtripper1504, spencerhdu, titletownauctionsales, turk1425, vuevue845, 1204268134@deleted
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 PM

The buyer is simply asking what card was involved in the transaction. So just answer his question, and maybe he will close the case.

Scott, could be right. It might be a wife/co-holder of the card making the claim.

Did the buyer leave feedback? If so, that might help challenge the claim.

I think in any case you will probably have seller protection.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
The buyer is simply asking what card was involved in the transaction. So just answer his question, and maybe he will close the case.

Scott, could be right. It might be a wife/co-holder of the card making the claim.

Did the buyer leave feedback? If so, that might help challenge the claim.

I think in any case you will probably have seller protection.
Have to confess there have been short periods of time where I've bought so many cards that, like someone suggested above, I have mistakenly questioned a purchase I simply forgot all about. Ridiculous but true.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
sounding more and more like his wife got pissed he spent the money and is doing things without telling him.

here's my entire blocked bidder list. Can't remember why they're all on there so ban at the risk of losing someone you might be happy with, but after almost 20 years on ebay I certainly don't think I ban too easily. Hope there's nobody from net54 on the list!!!

49ers58, 543ca86a97f4c8344527b98cc713ac1852925, adambombsaway, banknote1, baseballcardlover2010, bslentz, bythesky, carroll_cards, consolidated*subsistencies, dadztoyz101, danie_lapi, dsabean75s4, gabe.lucil, gensbro, goudeystars, gwei3955, kentan2629, lexus4lif, luckyone77777, mfuqua1856, moneybecomesking, richarodne_qdyaebcu, roundtripper1504, spencerhdu, titletownauctionsales, turk1425, vuevue845, 1204268134@deleted

Thnks for the list. Already have some of those on my blocked bidder list.

Mike
Old 04-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Scott Russell

What an amazing coincidence. (For those of you who don't recognize it, I used my sarcasm font.)
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Lewis Vintage Collectibles

Quote:
But will PayPal just side with the Buyer or will I have a chance to say how dumb this is??? If I made a mistake in the listing, I would accept a return.... If buyer got the card and didn't like it and wanted to return it within two weeks, yea i would accept return if card was in same condition. (this card was graded)..

But this is not my fault... It's not my fault that they made and offer and I accepted it... I thought it says that you are agreeing to pay for the item if you win whenever you bid or make an offer.

I just haven't had a problem with selling cards. Maybe I can sell it for more the 2nd time. Joke will be on them.

and how would i go about blocking this ebay id from seeing/bidding/thinking about bidding/making offers/thinking about making offer on my auctions???

Hey there Ben! Ive had this issue before. You need to call paypal and plead your case before they cime with a resolution. Ive learned with paypal they usually side with which ever party is willing to call and complain. Hahaha...

They rulled in my favor because i told them it was 2 months ago (which was my scenario). I cant see paypal favoring them though
Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 PM
bobby

pay pal will side with the buyer?.
pay pal is there to protect the buyer right or wrong. you will get that card back.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Patrick N.

Default 10

In almost 10 years of buying and selling, I had this charge back issue this week for the first time. Only a $20 transaction but it dropped by paypal balance into the negative, not sure if I will get a fee for this. According to eBay it was "delivered" other than that I don't have documentation as I usually throw my receipts away within a month.... Not sure what will happen, but know I sent this card. Sent the buyer an email. Was also interesting that his email address on yahoo had two "h"s in yahoo like yahhoo

Last edited by mintacular; 04-08-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Geez. Never throw away postal receipts. Throw them in an envelope by year. Just as easy and you never know if you will need them for an IRS audit.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 PM
David Sims

So it's not paypal siding with the buyer it's the credit card company. So a few things can cause this. If the person had their credit card stolen they will dispute all claims. If the person reports it as an unrecognized charge they will dispute it. If ruled in the buyers favur, due to the seller having proof of delivery, PayPal will repay out of Paypals pocket.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Has anyone had a delivery dispute loss when shipping with eBay's postage tool? I figure if it is integrated into eBay and it shows delivered I will win. No need to save receipts.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 AM
David Sims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Has anyone had a delivery dispute loss when shipping with eBay's postage tool? I figure if it is integrated into eBay and it shows delivered I will win. No need to save receipts.
So the eBay tool is ran through PayPal. eBay cannot see in Paypals system. Now eBay can look in your dashboard if you shipped through the sellers tool and see the number. It's a weird system the way they have it set up. It's always best to call eBay and have an actual person look into it.