NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Adam Jacob

Default Aaron Judge

Do you guys think Aaron Judge is a good Investment or is he going to be Adam Dunn 2.0?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:04 AM

Dunn 2.0 would be a great player! Being in NY will only help and I hope he can cut down on the strikeouts but I can't remember a guy his size ever having great success in MLB. If he shortens his swing and can learn to take walks he will be a stud.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Michael Conforto has a better shot at the moment (Mets).
Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Dave

Maybe he will surprise me, but I don't rate him highly at all. As a Yankee fan I'd be ecstatic if he projects out to a Richie Sexson type, but I think that's pushing the boundries of expectations, and that certainly doesn't map out as a player to "invest" in.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 PM

I tend to agree with you. I just don't think he'll develop the ability to walk which really puts pressure on him to hit 30 plus homers a year. Even if he is able to do that we all saw Chris Carter nearly go to Japan due to lack of interest.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Dave

It's not like Judge has put up mind-blowing stats in the minor leagues. Not sure how pretty good minor league hitter maps out to Superstar major league potential. It's not like he's just out of High School either. He's pushing 25 already.

He's about 8 months younger then Mike Trout.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 PM

Frank Howard was 6-7, he had a decent career, 1960 AL ROY, and won a ring with the 63 Dodgers.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 AM
Rich Klein

Simplest Judge investment advice:

Short term, sure fine go for it and flip those cards

Long term: doubtful based on baseball history. Probably too late of a start (age 25) for the HOF.

This would all change is somehow he hit 71 homers in a season without steroids or the Yankees win a couple of World Series with him as the key player.

To me, he's a better Dave Kingman or as noted Frank Howard.

Rich
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM

I beg to differ. Judge is hitting 332 right now. Kingman never sniffed anywhere close to 300. Howard I think is closer, but again he never dominated the league in the types of categories Judge is. He leads the AL in runs, home runs, rbi's, total bases, on base, slugging, OPS, and walks.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I beg to differ. Judge is hitting 332 right now. Kingman never sniffed anywhere close to 300. Howard I think is closer, but again he never dominated the league in the types of categories Judge is. He leads the AL in runs, home runs, rbi's, total bases, on base, slugging, OPS, and walks.
I think I just heard Babe Ruth roll over in his grave.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Dave

Frank Howard is a decent comparison. He won ROY at age 23, but had his real breakout year at age 25. Judge walks more (and also strikes out more), at this point in his career, but Howard built his Walk numbers up as his career went on.

I would guess Judges batting average will eventually fall in line to around Howards levels as his career goes on. I have a feeling he's having a Norm Cash like outlier year, as far as his B.A. goes.. I think Frank Howard is a much more realistic goal for him then Miguel Cabrera.

No shame in that. Frank had some fantastic years.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
.288 in 1979. Some would call that close.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Simplest Judge investment advice:

Short term, sure fine go for it and flip those cards

Long term: doubtful based on baseball history. Probably too late of a start (age 25) for the HOF.

This would all change is somehow he hit 71 homers in a season without steroids or the Yankees win a couple of World Series with him as the key player.

To me, he's a better Dave Kingman or as noted Frank Howard.

Rich
Rich, with all due respect, I think the PED genie is one you never, ever get back in the bottle with the current salary levels. Does anyone really think Starling Marte was the only one taking Nandrolone? My bet is that an effective masking agent was developed, which Marte thought he was getting, but someone sold him a bill of goods instead. I don't think we will ever know for certain who is or has been using PED's. I separate baseball history into two eras in this regard: pre-1985 and post-1985, but without any real prejudice--the PED era simply represents the conditions under which the game has and IMHO IS being played. I, for one, really enjoyed seeing Mark McGwire play. Just don't try to directly compare the two or players from different eras. That's simply apples and oranges.

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-28-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default Flash in the pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardspun8 View Post
Do you guys think Aaron Judge is a good Investment or is he going to be Adam Dunn 2.0?
Last year it was Trevor story who got off to a blazing start his stuff was lazor hot
Now you cannot give it away. Give me a dead hall of Famer any day and twice on sundays . you want to gamble Kentucky Derby tomorrow at least it will be over in 2 minutes, verses waiting for a pipe dream
Old 05-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Dave

I certainly under-estimated Judge. I understand he was drafted more as an athlete and on his potential rather then his actual skills at the time, as he came to baseball a little late.

Looks like things finally started to click for him. He always had the pop, but just had problems with the contact.

Still, I imagine it's a short term thing with him. He still got off to a late start, and would have to completely dominate for a long time to pay off if you plan on holding on to his cards. Short term, I guess it will just be a timing thing, much like penny stocks.

Also, don't forget. Big guys like him get hurt. He seems athletic now, but it's only a matter of time before back and knee issues kick in and he gets relegated to DH or 1st Base duty.

I'd be happy if he could be our Jay Buhner for the next 5 years or so. Luckily the Yankees didn't trade him for Ken Phelps before he finally blossomed.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:08 PM

His cards have really shot up. I looked yesterday and was shocked to see his 2013 Bowman sells for like $400 raw now. I remember considering buying one when it was $40.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Mike

Love watching this kid player play. Night and day from the player last season. Slumping a bit from the hot start, but I don't feel that will last long. He is helping in the field and showed off the arm throwing out Billy Hamilton at second the other night. Future is bright for him.

Mike
Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Larry

Saw a couple of his games in the last few days. They are starting to get him out consistently with pitches breaking down and in (circle changes from righties; sliders from lefties), with a high fastball or two mixed in. Will have to see if he adjusts. I still wouldn't buy him in any event until he has proven his worth over a large major league sample size, is in his 30's down-slide phase, and the speculative and transient demand has migrated to the newest, latest and greatest hot item!

Best of luck and joy in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Larry

Quote:
His cards have really shot up. I looked yesterday and was shocked to see his 2013 Bowman sells for like $400 raw now. I remember considering buying one when it was $40.
Ah, the nature of the new card market for up and coming phenoms! Initial demand is primarily speculative and transient, with card dealers bursting at the seams to take advantage of that "must have" urge within us. Better to wait until they are in their mid to late 30's downslide and this type of demand will have moved on to the latest and greatest. Their cards will still be out there, and likely much cheaper (see the Topps 1990 No-Name on Front Frank Thomas rookie for comparison purposes. When first discovered and subsequently popularized in the early '90's, Beckett had it for $1600 in near mint. By 2009, a NrMt to Mt example could be had for less than $600. Just a few months ago, however, one in PSA 3 went for over $2K on ebay. Moral of the story? Buy when demand is lowest, but before the player makes the HOF).

Good luck in your collecting,

Larry
Old 05-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Larry

Saw Judge hit a 457 footer last weekend versus the Astros to dead center. Mantle type power (almost) with Wheaties box, all-American good looks. Hope he makes good, as it would be great for the game!

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 06-13-2017, 01:16 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I don't miss Cano...pretty sure he didn't do it the right way if you know what I mean. Judge seems to be the right guy at the right time...and there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the guy is as natural as they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM

What does that mean? Cano has the sweetest swing since Griffey if you ask me. You're saying he's cheating? Why?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:48 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
What does that mean? Cano has the sweetest swing since Griffey if you ask me. You're saying he's cheating? Why?

It means that I have my suspicions he cheated. And I don't miss him. Happy with Didi and Starling...and will be happy with Torres or Mateo. Love what the Yankees have done to make over this team...and they did it quickly. And they seem to have done it right.

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM

I agree with the rest of your sentiment but I really have a hard time understanding why you think he cheated. I'm sorry he's gone. Cano could have been on the wall of retired numbers with a plaque in the outfield and I would have been happy to see it.

BUT, I am still happy with the crop of infielders they have in the minors and the emergence of Judge. It's great that the Yankees have that guy again.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
I agree with the rest of your sentiment but I really have a hard time understanding why you think he cheated. I'm sorry he's gone. Cano could have been on the wall of retired numbers with a plaque in the outfield and I would have been happy to see it.

BUT, I am still happy with the crop of infielders they have in the minors and the emergence of Judge. It's great that the Yankees have that guy again.

There have been hints of steroid use dating back to 2012. I truly believe the Yankees were happy to see the Mariners offer ridiculous money, allowing them to "let him walk away." I'm not saying he wasn't/isn't a fantastic player...I just believe that there is an awful lot of smoke that he cheated. This was really one of the first times that the Yankees showed restraint and I think that was in no small part due to their concerns for why he was playing as well as he was...

Old 06-13-2017, 02:18 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

You're presupposing that I don't think he's a good player...he is a great player. I just believe that there was concern that he was tainted. And so it was easier to go after Ellsbury, hurt the Sox, and distance themselves from Cano. To your point, the Ellsbury signing looks terrible in hindsight.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:26 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Like I said, Ellsbury signing looks terrible in hindsight.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Like I said, Ellsbury signing looks terrible in hindsight.

What in the world do they do with Ellsbury when he comes back? Michael, the main NY broadcaster, has taken to referring to Hicks as "Hank Aaron" Hicks. Sure Ellsbury is better in the field, except perhaps for his arm, but I frankly don't see where Ells is going to play--certainly Gardner and Judge aren't going anywhere. Ellsbury is worth about a third of his salary, if that, and no one would take him in a trade.

Best wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-13-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
What in the world do they do with Ellsbury when he comes back? Michael, the main NY broadcaster, has taken to referring to Hicks as "Hank Aaron" Hicks. Sure Ellsbury is better in the field, except perhaps for his arm, but I frankly don't see where Ells is going to play--certainly Gardner and Judge aren't going anywhere. Ellsbury is worth about a third of his salary, if that, and no one would take him in a trade.

Best wishes,

Larry

I don't think any of those guys are particularly durable, so plenty of room for a 4th outfielder and platoon/pinch hit situations I think.

The more flexibility the better. Not that you want your $20 million dollar guy to be your 4th outfielder, but we've paid more then that for A-Rod to essentially ride the bench or miss entire seasons.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:43 PM
octavio ranzola

I was buying the judges rookies $30 to $50 now I've sold them $500 to $700 each better than the stock market 😊
Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Matt

Being so immersed in PreWar and vintage, I had long forgotten the thrill and sheer fun of chasing the key cards of a current star. Judge is a real positive jolt for Yankee fans of all ages right now, and fans of baseball as well.

Pivoting to the value discussion, bought a bunch of his Blue Heritage Autos at the $750 price point, and finally added the Red Ink variation yesterday.

After the 2013 Chrome and the 2017 Heritage autos, I'm a big fan of the Topps Series 1 1987 style auto card, seems scarce relative to the current crop.

The Topps Archives cards are also very cool. I really dig how they smartly embrace the old 1983 design; creates inherent appeal for us ancient 40-yr olds who collected as kids back then.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
I was buying the judges rookies $30 to $50 now I've sold them $500 to $700 each better than the stock market 😊

That's way, way smarter then the time I bought up about 15 Michael Jordan Rookies for about $5 each, and then sold them a week later for about $20 each, back in the later 80's.

Still kicking myself for that and the case of 1984 Topps Football I sold for 20 bucks a box.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Congrats! Reminds me of when I was buying nice McGwire rookies in 1992 (about a dozen, as I recall, each purchased separately and selected for sharp corners and centering) for $10-$15, and selling them at the '98 National for $60-$80. It was amazing how many dealers had signs posted that they were buying McGwire.

Happy collecting,

Larry