NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default Bowman Proofs

Posted By: Paul

Many years ago, I read an article in SCD about 1956 Bowman proofs. These were the prototypes for Bowman's 1956 set that was cancelled after the company was bought by Topps. The article even had pictures of a few of them. They had a "knothole" design, similar to 1958 Hires cards.

Have any of you ever actually seen one of these? Do you know if any of them ever made their way into collections?

Old 02-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Default Bowman Proofs

Posted By: Hankron

Old 02-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Default Bowman Proofs

Posted By: petecld

Considering what Topps was producing in 1955 and 1956 if they(Bowman) went with the knot-hole design they would have saved Topps some money and gone bankrupt for sure.

Really un-inspiring designs.

Old 02-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Bowman Proofs

Posted By: Paul

Thanks for the scan. I had forgotten there were three different designs. Do you own these? Are you aware of any others that made their way into collections? Thanks.

Paul

Old 02-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Bowman Proofs

Posted By: Hankron

Paul, I don't know of the existence of others. That is not intended to mean that there aren't others, just that I'm not aware of them if there are. The pictured test designs are pasted into the book, which was sort of a like an artist's or draft book. I think this lot (which I do not own) sold for something like $7,000 (guess, someone may be able to correct me).

These were the three prospective Bowman designs. Bowman had an official survey of kids to see which design was most popular-- and the knothole design won. This would suggest that the 1956 Bowmans were going to be the knothole design.

It is noteworthy, that in later years Topps used two of these designs (the 'single' design being a rehashing of the the 53 Bowman Colors). The 'double' was used for the 1957 Topps football and, as noted, the knothole design was used for the Hires Rootbeer cards (Topps printed the cards for Hires).