NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Jon Robinson

Default Ongoing HOF project

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but have frequented other forums over the past few years. I have mostly collected modern baseball cards since I first started collecting, but I recently just got into vintage cards.

Over the past few months, I have started working on a new project that I think will take me awhile to complete - a rookie card of every member of the baseball HOF (well, as close to a RC as I can afford). There are many tobacco cards and the '52 Mantle that I will never afford, so for those I will just try to find a card as close to their rookie as possible. The key to this project is that I am looking for low grade copies of the 30's-60's rookies and then better looking copies for the newer stuff. As the years go by, I will hopefully upgrade some of the low grade items as my budget increases. I resale modern stuff pretty heavily, so this is definitely a step in a different direction for me so I will hopefully gain some very important hobby knowledge on this forum.

I am up to 40 total cards as of 8/17/2017. I will use this thread to track my progress for those interested. Below are some key additions I have had recently. If anybody can point me in the direction of low-grade copies of cards I need, please send me a PM!

Picked up this Koufax rookie last weekend for $155. Not the greatest of shape, but I am going to send it in my next PSA sub just to have it in a slab.

Picked up this Gibson rookie for $40 at my local card shop.

Killebrew rookie picked up for $30

McCovey rookie

Winfield rookie

Mazeroski rookie - picked this up for $10 at my local card shop

Ozzie rookie

Carlton rookie

Morgan rookie

Yount rookie (miscut but got it tossed into a deal for free so I'll take it!)

Picked this up on eBay for around $10 if I remember correctly. The seller misspelled his name.

Last edited by bravesfan#1; 08-18-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Really cool project!

With some of the earlier players, defining what a rookie card is can be an interesting challenge.

The 1925 Exhibits Lou Gehrig has recently exploded in value as people view it as his rookie card.

There are other Exhibits from 1921 on that would similarly be rookie cards from some very big names, and are still not too expensive.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Great centering on those cards. Nice buys.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Jerry

Welcome to the forum! Great cards. Love the centering on that Koufax especially!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 AM
Jon Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Really cool project!

With some of the earlier players, defining what a rookie card is can be an interesting challenge.

The 1925 Exhibits Lou Gehrig has recently exploded in value as people view it as his rookie card.

There are other Exhibits from 1921 on that would similarly be rookie cards from some very big names, and are still not too expensive.

Good luck!
I'll have to keep an eye out for the Exhibit cards when I see them, thanks for the info!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:06 AM
Jon Robinson

Some more scans since I'm limited to 18 images per post.

Not Ruth's rookie, but this will be the one I keep for this project for now. Got a good deal on it for $80 as well.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Phil Garry

Your journey is one that I pursued for nearly 10 years from 2004 to 2014, definitely a lot of fun times. You might want to check out the OldCardboard website, there is a hyperlink on there for Hall of Fame Rookie Cards, which gives you the earliest five cards for each HOF'er. There should be something in there for just about anyone's budget.

Best of luck with the hunt.

Phil
Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Jon Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Your journey is one that I pursued for nearly 10 years from 2004 to 2014, definitely a lot of fun times. You might want to check out the OldCardboard website, there is a hyperlink on there for Hall of Fame Rookie Cards, which gives you the earliest five cards for each HOF'er. There should be something in there for just about anyone's budget.

Best of luck with the hunt.

Phil
Woah, now that tidbit of info is why I joined this site! Thank you for pointing out OldCardBoard, I'm browsing the link you just mentioned!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Check this out too: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141603
Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Mikeknapp

Good luck with your quest. I did the same thing for a long time. I abandoned it because although a number of the rookie cards are very attractive Clemente, Koufax, Killebrew, Kaline, Gibson, Banks, Aaron etc are beautiful cards many others are boring or unattractive. Although I own copies of the Rose, Stargell, Jackson, Ryan, Carlton, Sutton, Morgan and Bench serve as examples of this. In the end I decided that I wanted attractive copies of cards depicting members of the HOF. Due to this I added a T206 Mathewson Dark Cap, T205 Baker, 1955 Ted Williams, a 1956 Mantle, 1956 Robinson, 1952 Doby etc. I just find the aesthetic beauty of the card more appealing than the year it was produced.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 08-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan#1 View Post
Woah, now that tidbit of info is why I joined this site! Thank you for pointing out OldCardBoard, I'm browsing the link you just mentioned!

You may as well tell us your name too.

I wish everyone would add their name to their avatar so we could converse more effectively...or, at least, more traditionally.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Derek Granger

Default new member

Good luck on your quest! You might say I have a slight infatuation with HOF rookie cards as well...take a look at my imageevent site. I generally prefer the esoteric issues over the mainstream Topps/Bowman/Goudey/T206 issues.

Welcome aboard the board! Always happy to chat "rookie" card stuff with other Net54 members!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the forum,
I started out going for Rookie HOFer's when I got back into collecting, as an adult, 20 yrs ago. I wish I would have kept those cards. Type card collecting has been a ton of fun but I still like some of those cards from back then...

Last edited by Leon; 08-20-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Jon Robinson

I appreciate everyone's kind words so far. I have three new additions to share.

First is a Marichal SGC authentic rookie that I picked up for $20. This looks to be in amazing shape, but is it safe to assume that this is trimmed/altered if in an authentic holder? I would prefer not to bust it out just because I like the case.

Then a Rice rookie that a net54 member sent me for free to help with my quest

And then I picked up this Greenberg at my last show for $20. Not a rookie - but this counts for me since his stuff is fairly expensive.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan#1 View Post
I appreciate everyone's kind words so far. I have three new additions to share.

First is a Marichal SGC authentic rookie that I picked up for $20. This looks to be in amazing shape, but is it safe to assume that this is trimmed/altered if in an authentic holder? I would prefer not to bust it out just because I like the case.

Then a Rice rookie that a net54 member sent me for free to help with my quest

And then I picked up this Greenberg at my last show for $20. Not a rookie - but this counts for me since his stuff is fairly expensive.
Nice cards and yes, Marichal looks like he has a wavy left border and is trimmed. Just wait till you really start seeing and dealing with the old pre-war stuff. After discovering the OldCardboard site it is all downhill.

Last edited by Leon; 08-30-2017 at 06:37 AM.