NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2018, 07:31 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default PWCC Certified High End

Do they just label this on any card they want now? Seen there is a PSA 1 T213 with a certified high end designation. Lol Whatever it takes to sell right?
PSA 1 Certified High End = Oxymoron

Last edited by CrackaJackKid; 04-01-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Why not? A 1 can be high end for the grade just like any other grade, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:39 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ....

I guess however you wanna break it down so that it makes more sense.

If someone told me they had a high end example of a certain card, the last thing to come to my mind is a really nice looking 1 or 2 example.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

I think the whole HE thing is a gimmick across the board, just saying it's equally as valid or invalid at whatever grade you apply it IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 AM
Robert Williams

I've had 1's that look like 6's....I've cracked out 2's that came back 5's.......so why not??
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ....

Agreed on the whole gimmick statement.

I’ve just never heard anyone else apply that terminology to that low of a grade.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:48 AM
Matt

High End "1" is not an oxymoron to me; in fact when I hear someone has a high-end card, my first hope is that it is a 1 like the card below. I sure think one of these two cards below is high end for the grade.

My beef is with the likes of SGC and PSA, who can look at us collectors with a straight face and say these cards are in effect "the same." Insults our intelligence and only exposes their arbitrary, outmoded criteria.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-01-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
I guess however you wanna break it down so that it makes more sense.

If someone told me they had a high end example of a certain card, the last thing to come to my mind is a really nice looking 1 or 2 example.
Low end technical grade can still be a higher end card...

Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Matt

I'll call this "High End 1" Exhibit C for the thread.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Grading

Wonder if it would help to add a (PH) pinhole and (PL) paper loss qualifier.? Then a regular card grade could be assigned.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Wow...

So decent/good looking cards graded 1s with a pinhole can now be assessed at the high end level for their grade. I guess I better get with the program. Lol

“High End” to me rypically refers to the most expensive example of all examples. But when you categorize by grades I guess anyone can call anything they want.

I just wouldnt feel right saying I had a high end example of a card when it’s recieved the lowest numerical grade. To each their own.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So decent/good looking cards graded 1s with a pinhole can now be assessed at the high end level for their grade. I guess I better get with the program. Lol

“High End” to me rypically refers to the most expensive example of all examples. But when you categorize by grades I guess anyone can call anything they want.

I just wouldnt feel right saying I had a high end example of a card when it’s recieved the lowest numerical grade. To each their own.
He isn't saying it's a high end card. He is saying it's at the high end of a 1 grade.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

Whenever I see a "HE" designation, it means to me they think the TPG missed the grade by a mile.

1's are super tough as that is the lowest number you can go but like what has been shown here, the spread between some is huge.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:38 AM
Matt

Quote:

Would you feel right saying you had a high end example of a card if the flip said 7 or 8 and it cost a ton, yet it had tilt or was OC or had a weak corner or a focus/registration issue? Because a card can certainly be the most expensive based on its flip and still exhibit those eye appeal flaws— which to those who stress the card over the pricetag, would not make it the highest end example.

Unless you think both of those Shoeless Joe Jackson CJs are equal cards in all respects, there certainly is a spectrum within each grade. Some call it the high and low ends. The market readily acknowledges that all 1s are not the same by the prices they command, and so collectors simply follow suit in terms of language.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-01-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ...

Referring to the JJs I would classify one as very rough and the other as a nice looking example but not high end.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Do they just label this on any card they want now? Seen there is a PSA 1 T213 with a certified high end designation. Lol Whatever it takes to sell right?
PSA 1 Certified High End = Oxymoron

I had a Ryan RC that I swore was a 6, came back a 4. I called PSA and they said there was a slight indentation in the lower left corner that was not visible to the naked eye. I sent to PWCC and they labeled it HE as it had perfect centering. It ended up selling like a 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Matt

Quote:
Referring to the JJs I would classify one as very rough and the other as a nice looking example but not high end.
That's certainly fair; it just seems a case of preferred language. The evolving jargon has become, "that's a high-end 3," for example. I have also heard a "strong 2," etc. All saying the same thing.

What PWCC has done is take the terminology that evolved among us all and monetize it— though I have some friends who would say weaponize, lol

Last edited by MattyC; 04-01-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I think a large majority of collectors would disagree as to that 1 not being a high end 1. I have learned, over the course of time, that if I say the sky is up there will be some that disagree. It's America!!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:54 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
That's certainly fair; it just seems a case of preferred language. The evolving jargon has become, "that's a high-end 3," for example. I have also heard a "strong 2," etc. All saying the same thing.

What PWCC has done is take the terminology that evolved among us all and monetize it— though I have some friends who would say weaponize, lol
This^
Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

It's stupid though. With a large scan anyone can see for himself whether the card is high end for the grade. Brent's say-so doesn't add anything.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

In my laundry room HE stands for “high efficiency”.
In the morgue HE stands for “hepatic encephalopathy”.
In the chemistry lab HE stands for “helium”.

Therefore in the baseball card world, HE means

“The Card was soaked by a drunk seeking to elevate the grade of the card unsuccessfully.”

Q E D.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Barry Sloate

At every grade level there are cards that exhibit nice eye appeal, and others that look kind of crummy. So there is nothing wrong with stating that a card with great visuals is high end for the grade.

The problem is that so many dealers say that about too many cards. How often do you see the words "this should have gotten a higher grade" or "this looks better than a 3." So some discretion is needed.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Maybe we need grades within grades. Like a psa 1 that is borderline authentic grade. Need to be called a psa 1 - then go up from there psa 1+ psa 1 gem.
This might also bring a end to the grading a card above a mint 9. Just call it gem mint 9 .
Old 04-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Eric Pugh

Default interesting example from about 9 months ago or so

I once submitted a PSA 8 Yaz rookie to PWCC. It was NICE. Coincidentally, they had another psa 8 yaz rookie in the same auction - and that one was labeled HE. Based on the scans and what I knew about mine in person, I thought mine was better, but whatever.

Anyway, in the end the bidders apparently thought mine was nicer too as my example (the "non HE" auction) sold for about $100 more than the HE example that ended around the exact same time.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

The other day I saw a card on ebay listed as a high grade Authentic. Had to be a joke right?
Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

I think of High End being the best examples of a given item. I suppose if you keep dividing a group up into enough pieces (ie different grades), then there are a lot of HE cards out there.

It’s similar to the term Holy Grail. People have adopted it to mean their personal piece they want, doesn’t have to be a true hobby Holy Grail.

I don’t think these terms really influence buyers but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 01:11 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

"We at PWCC are not professional graders so we trust in the reputation and opinion of 3rd party professional graders. "
Old 04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Dave Foster

It's called, "Salesmanship 101" - say whatever it takes to make a sale. Like a used car salesman claiming, "This little baby only has 200K carefully driven / one owner miles. Won't last!"
Old 04-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan View Post
"We at PWCC are not professional graders so we trust in the reputation and opinion of 3rd party professional graders. "
Yeah I've pointed that out before. Kinda makes the whole thing even more absurd, doesn't it.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

[QUOTE=Thecafewha;1763332]I think of High End being the best examples of a given item. I suppose if you keep dividing a group up into enough pieces (ie different grades), then there are a lot of HE cards out there.

Couldn’t agree more.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
At every grade level there are cards that exhibit nice eye appeal, and others that look kind of crummy. So there is nothing wrong with stating that a card with great visuals is high end for the grade.
Well said.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:16 AM
je.sse @rnot

[QUOTE=CrackaJackKid;1763524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecafewha View Post
I think of High End being the best examples of a given item. I suppose if you keep dividing a group up into enough pieces (ie different grades), then there are a lot of HE cards out there.

Couldn’t agree more.
The certified high end designation means it's high end for the grade. Not one of the best copies in existence. Many collectors are interested in finding cards that look better than their technical grade, myself included.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-02-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ...

[QUOTE=pokerplyr80;1763589]
Quote:

The certified high end designation means it's high end for the grade. Not one of the best copies in existence. Many collectors are interested in finding cards that look better than their technical grade, myself included.

I still feel labeling a 1 with a pinhole,paper loss etc. high end is inaccurate. But to each his own.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 AM

I think that if you are saying something is high end for the grade, you need to include the "for the grade" part. Simply saying something is High End with no other context implies that it is a top example overall.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

[QUOTE=CrackaJackKid;1763596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post

I still feel labeling a 1 with a pinhole,paper loss etc. high end is inaccurate. But to each his own.
A nice 1 with a small amount of paper loss on the back or a well hidden pin hole that doesn't take away from the eye appeal of the card is the definition of a high end 1. Such a card could easily sell for twice the price or more of the VCP average for the beater 1s.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Matt

What's pretty interesting (while procrastinating at work, at least) is to examine the notion of what really constitutes "one of the best examples" in the world of a given card. I would offer that the reductive grading system belies the subjectivity in the matter...

For example, someone could brandish a high grade flip and say that based on pop report and cost it is one of the best— yet to many collectors with seasoned eyes, the card does not merit the grade. Would this hypothetical card then be one of the best and thus high end? I suppose to a Registry or flip-driven collector/buyer, sure, they could say it is and it would be valid. Yet others who want the best card might not even want to throw a bid at the card, so to them it is not one of the best.

Another interesting hypothetical would be someone pointing to a high grade card, say a PSA 8, deeming it one of the best examples of a card— yet let's assume it is a card that is rarely centered or always blurry, and the PSA 8 exhibits these usual flaws to the fullest extent the technical grade will allow.

Now let's say an anomalous PSA 5 or 6 comes along that is dead centered— with superior focus and color as compared to the 8 as well. Let's further postulate just for conversation's sake that this PSA 5/6 sells at auction for PSA 7+ money. Wouldn't this hypothetical 5/6 then be one of the best examples, even though several are graded higher, and certainly better than the hypothetical 8?

End of the day, what some grader at his cubicle is instructed to think and weigh most is simply not what the collector has to think and weigh most. For example, for some what constitutes best may factor in the value proposition; i.e., if there's a hypothetical freak 1.5 for $10,000 (think a tiny speck of paper loss or a microscopic pinhole) that presents identically to the eye as an 8.5 that costs $100,000, some collectors might say that the 1.5 is the best example around, in terms of providing eye appeal for the dollar.

Point being there is a lot of personal preference that goes into what is high end or "best," and we collectors certainly don't have to blindly agree with what a card grader says is best— much in the same way we don't have to have unanimity on such topics, despite our shared enthusiasm for cards themselves.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-02-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:32 PM
je.sse @rnot

Well said Matt. I could never hope to match your eloquence but couldn't agree more with the post above. As a collector with expensive taste and a limited budget a 10k card with the eye appeal of a 100k card meets my definition of high end.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=pokerplyr80;1763589]
Quote:

Agreed. But I don't need Brent to tell me when one does.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:30 AM
Bill O

All I have to say is I bought the most beautiful T206 SL Shaunasy yeah it’s spelled wrong I’ll ever see in my life PSA 6 Brent HE.
Had to sell because of life. Paid a huge premium. But I’ll never see a better card than that one. In someone’s collection to never sell.
HE has its use
Old 04-04-2018, 04:07 AM
Lonnie Nagel

It's rare to run across a truly "High End for Grade" example of any given card regardless of value. This, in my book, is one of those....

Net 54 Schmitz