NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2018, 06:38 PM
John

Default Seeking some advice...

I'm still very new at this but have been reading up on spotting fakes. Seeking an opinion here... beyond the fact its "listed as a reproduction" from what my newbie eyes can tell the Mathewson was looking good, or a VERY good fake until I looked at the corners....not the usual "rounded corners" shape, like they were cut then not very well roughed up....then I got to looking at his other items, all desirable cards, all with the same strange corners, and the same weird staining pattern on the backs....opinions from you eagle eyed veterans of the hobby very much welcomed

https://www.ebay.com/sch/aalt206/m.h...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWJohn View Post
I'm still very new at this but have been reading up on spotting fakes. Seeking an opinion here... beyond the fact its "listed as a reproduction" from what my newbie eyes can tell the Mathewson was looking good, or a VERY good fake until I looked at the corners....not the usual "rounded corners" shape, like they were cut then not very well roughed up....then I got to looking at his other items, all desirable cards, all with the same strange corners, and the same weird staining pattern on the backs....opinions from you eagle eyed veterans of the hobby very much welcomed

https://www.ebay.com/sch/aalt206/m.h...p2047675.l2562
See all those little brown lines that make the card look old. I have never seen those on a real card. Any time I see those I run away.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Bry@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
See all those little brown lines that make the card look old. I have never seen those on a real card. Any time I see those I run away.
+1 There are lots of fakes on eBay with those lines on the back and sometimes the front.

The printing on the back of the T206 Matty is a little bit blurry, it should be sharper. Some of the other cards also have creases where the paper showing in the crease is lighter than it probably should be.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Paul

It’s a good fake. The color of the blue is wrong — too brightly hued. You’ve got to see the dot matrix pattern in the blue and Matty’s face before buying that card raw.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-02-2018, 11:24 PM
Luke Lyon

This article I wrote last year might help you get a bit more comfortable with raw T206s:

http://www.thatt206life.com/2017/02/...it-t206-cards/
Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM

If you look at "Item specifics" in the listings, all four cards aie stated to be reprints. Always read EVERYTHING in a listing.

It is instructive though to compare these aged reprints to authentic cards. I worry that the purchaser will attempt to resell them without listing them as reprints.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As mentioned, they are good reprints-- but with abnormal corners sometimes and those brown lines.

One essential aid in these issues is common sense-- such as the guy is offering an ungraded Joe Jackson rookie card worth, what?, a few thousand dollars? You can often identify reprints and fakes being offered by just reading the title and descriptions and no even having to look at the pictures. If you're buying online a Goudey Ruth or Jackson RC from a guy doesn't even say they're real, that's half your problem. My old saying is "If you go into a Three Stooges movie expecting Orson Welles, that's your fault not the movie's."

If you're buying raw cards such as the ones the guy is offering, I'd make sure the seller is a well known expert or veteran dealer or collector. To start off, they will guarantee the authenticity and you'll know they know what they're talking about.

Last edited by drcy; 04-03-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Scott Russell

They are NOT reprints, they are counterfeits.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Robert Klevens

The guy that bought the 1952 Mantle for $13.49 was shocked it was a fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle.jpg (28.5 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by prestigecollectibles; 04-03-2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
+1

I hate it when that happens LOL - That's Classic
Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Well, it DID have RP in the title. Which is another pet peeve of mine. Some sellers use it to designate "Reprint", yet it's hard to 'neg' it out of the search (hmmm... maybe -" RP " would help). But in this example there was plenty of room for reprint instead of RP in the title. Bottom line though, the buyer failed on 2 accounts. Expecting to get a real Mantle for under 20 bucks and complaining about a 'reprint' listed as a reprint.

Last edited by tschock; 04-04-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: corrected
Old 04-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Scott Russell

1983 Topps '52 Mantle is a reprint. These are counterfeits and the buyer has a legit gripe.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I consider counterfeits to be reprints. I also think reprints should be significantly different than the original. For example, the Topps official 1952 reprints say reprint with modern date and different size.

As noted earlier, a way to go after unauthorized reprints and counterfeits is copyright/trademark infringement. That would be up to Topps, but eBay could make the simple rule to remove all other than Topps authorized reprints.