NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2018, 03:57 PM
larrydavidfan33

Default Monster number ! .... 5 lol

Ok people I learned what a monster number is and mine is 5 !
Spike Shannon
Lefty leifeld
Charlie star
Mullin
And 1 more I forget his name

Why are piedmont and sweet cap equal if there are twice? As many piedmont??
Old 05-11-2018, 04:31 PM

Default Unauthorized spokesperson for the Monster thread

Short answer is the creator of the Monster, Mr. Frank, decided upon as easy a system as possible so there was no confusion and anxiety among the folks participating, and perhaps for Frank himself...it is a massive set of over 500 cards. Thus no extra points for the type of back, HOF status, big name players etc. except for the well known noted scarcities such as Wagner and Plank.

I created the E90-1 E-Monster (aka The Kraken) thread. Since it is a smaller set with less complexity (but plenty of levels of scarcity) I gave, with the help of fellow collectors, a good chunk of the tougher cards various weights based upon both scarcity and demand. It was a somewhat painful process but now things are settled in and I think people can easily compute their Kraken number.

Make sure you post your Monster number on the official thread...otherwise Frank might just overlook your post, and your Monster number will be lost for eternity.

Brian
Old 05-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Michael S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Short answer is the creator of the Monster, Mr. Frank, decided upon as easy a system as possible so there was no confusion and anxiety among the folks participating, and perhaps for Frank himself...it is a massive set of over 500 cards. Thus no extra points for the type of back, HOF status, big name players etc. except for the well known noted scarcities such as Wagner and Plank.

I created the E90-1 E-Monster (aka The Kraken) thread. Since it is a smaller set with less complexity (but plenty of levels of scarcity) I gave, with the help of fellow collectors, a good chunk of the tougher cards various weights based upon both scarcity and demand. It was a somewhat painful process but now things are settled in and I think people can easily compute their Kraken number.

Make sure you post your Monster number on the official thread...otherwise Frank might just overlook your post, and your Monster number will be lost for eternity.

Brian
...Or perhaps Frank will give you the most simplistic, yet extraordinarily convoluted answer that will make you simply wish you never asked.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 05-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
...Or perhaps Frank will give you the most simplistic, yet extraordinarily convoluted answer that will make you simply wish you never asked.
I like to play with words, but Frank likes to take them out to the back and yell at them "How dare you make sense!" until they submit to his twisted designs.

Brian
Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post

Simplistic, yes, but nevertheless thought provoking. Soon after its inception, the issue of a null Monster Number was rightfully raised. If everyone had a Monster Number, it could never be lost, even if one didn’t know what it was or that they even had one, and more importantly even if they never found it. Philosophically the null Monster Number didn’t pass muster though and roughly 7 billion people were denied the privilege of politically incorrect inclusion in this increasingly holy fraternity. (Please note both political and religious references in the same sentence.)

Like the Monster Number, a census basically counts heads. Granted, with additional input a census might be embellished to count heads with acne, or even create ranges to delineate the population of folks with between 11 and 20 zits. And with additional infinite input, a census could eventually prove that we are all different, unique creatures. I could be creature number 2,517,490 and you could be creature number 4,613,877. But such a differentiation was never the intent of the Monster Number thread. The genetic code of your T206 cards is irrelevant to your simplistic Monster Number.

Counting from 1 to 520 is a relatively straight forward process that is within the capabilities of the vast majority of board members (There have been a few exceptions). With each additional rule or caveat, the complexity of the system increases. Additional credit for the big “four” seemed justified. It was also done in a manner to create the perfect Monster Number of 1000, a pleasing round number indeed. Other proposals to add rules and therefore complexity to the Monster Number have fallen on deaf ears, and I’m deafer now than I was then.

Thanks for your question.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:02 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
...and I’m deafer now than I was then...
I hear ya, Buddy.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Thanks!

Hey Frank, thanks for clearing that up!

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I hear ya, Buddy.
Huh?
Frank (hi Frank) always has a way with words. And as said, is not afraid to take them out back for a good talking-to.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:50 PM
larrydavidfan33

This place is sort of weird ....
Old 05-13-2018, 04:54 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavidfan33 View Post
This place is sort of weird ....
so's larry david.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Huh?
Frank (hi Frank) always has a way with words. And as said, is not afraid to take them out back for a good talking-to.
I'm agreeing. After all this time I understand him (I think that's a good thing)