NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Exhibits?

Does anyone here collect Exhibits? I was wondering if it might not be a cheaper way to get earlier cards of certain stars (i.e. Jackie Robinson) who are comparatively more expensive for 1950's Topps cards, even in mid-grade. I was reading an article earlier on the variations with the 1947-66 cards, and it did hold my interest for at least 10 minutes. Thoughts / advice?

Thanks,
-John
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

I dig them and I pick them up here and there.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Jay T.

Definitely a cheaper way to get a lot of the stars.
There aren't really a lot of Satchell Paige cards and the Exhibit can be bought rather easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHIBIT-BASE...sAAOSweuxWSmyg

Here's a Jackie Robinson under $30
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-66-Exhi...oAAOSwFqJWqABf

If you get the right lots, you can find stars in a lot of cards for as low as $2 each.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

For most major stars, Exhibits will probably be your cheapest option. There are some short printed cards (cards printed in only certain years) that will cost you more than other mainstream cards (Topps, Bowman, etc), both in 'commons' and stars. For example, a Yaz Exhibit would probably cost you more than a Yaz Topps RC, since the Yaz Exhibit was only printed in 1966 (the last year of the original Exhibit cards). As noted you can find some deals out there as well.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Default Exhibits

I have always liked Exhibits. You get a huge player selection, with poses/backgrounds not seen elsewhere made over a number of years.

Just make sure to read the posts here on N54 about fake Exhibits. They shouldn't be too hard to pick out after a little research. Adam W is one of the Exhibit Kings and has posted a number of times on Exhibits.

Happy hunting!

Z
Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/int...ngexhibitcards

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-05-2016, 02:53 PM

Bunch of us here collect them. I love it because it looks like a combo of postcard, action photo and a card! Exhibitman's website is really good take a look!

Also if you do "search" option at the top of the page...and type in exhibit cards, you can see great past threads regarding these fabulous cards!

Ricky Y
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here you go, Ricky:

I finally got one...

Or not...
Old 02-07-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Here you go, Ricky:

I finally got one...
Yessss!!! Way ta go Adam!

Ricky Y
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Larry

I think the Exhibits of the '20's and into the '30's present the best images of the players of the time, and some of them are very scarce to downright rare. Key major league rookies include not only Gehrig, but Al Simmons, Jim Bottomley, Foxx, Grove, Klein, Hack Wilson, Bill Terry and others. Good luck finding the '23-24 Babe Ruth at any cost! And I think all the '31-32 Ruths from the actors set (stated in the Standard Catalog to be the rarest Exhibit Ruth--I've got the PSA Ex 5) belong to members of this board. In addition, the '26-29 Postcard Back portrait card of Gehrig captures his character even better than the '34 Goudey! To me, considering the quality of their photographic reproduction, they are the high end cards of the period.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 02-09-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I think the Exhibits of the '20's and into the '30's present the best images of the players of the time, and some of them are very scarce to downright rare. Key major league rookies include not only Gehrig, but Al Simmons, Jim Bottomley, Foxx, Grove, Klein, Hack Wilson, Bill Terry and others. Good luck finding the '23-24 Babe Ruth at any cost! And I think all the '31-32 Ruths from the actors set (stated in the Standard Catalog to be the rarest Exhibit Ruth--I've got the PSA Ex 5) belong to members of this board. In addition, the '26-29 Postcard Back portrait card of Gehrig captures his character even better than the '34 Goudey! To me, considering the quality of their photographic reproduction, they are the high end cards of the period.

Highest regards,

Larry

My favorite Ruth:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-11-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I couldn't agree more. If there are two better objects that capture Gehrig and Ruth I'm unaware of them.

Particularly like the Gehrig one as he's laughing. Seems today many of the depictions of him are always dour and humorless. A real drag to be around. I doubt that very much. Yes he was apparently painfully (painfully) shy and particularly when paired with Ruth was more than happy to play second banana (who wouldn't in Ruth's footsteps?). Gehrig reminds me a lot like Mets current first baseman Lucas Duda. Shy and awkward around a spotlight but probably a great guy. Not everyone is cut out for the spotlight and mike in their face.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Default Agree...

I totally agree with Larry and others. 1920's Exhibits are rare, have great pictures, and undervalued, imo. They are possibly the most mind boggling undervalued cards in all the hobby - I just don't get it. Oh, well, I pick up nice quality HOFers occasionally and like the prices relative to the more popular cards of the era.