NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Brandon Brown

Default 2 More Old Judge Related Questions for Those Who Collect Them

I want to get some opinions on your OJ collecting preferences. I have 2 specific questions. Here they are:

1. When collecting HOFers, uld you rather have an unquestionably trimmed border, that doesn't affect the photo or writing, and has a Ex/Ex+ appearance , OR a rough (Pr/Fr) unaltered card?

2. With altered/trimmed OJ HOFers, what price tier do you consider to be a fair price. For example, if its trimmed, and appears to be Ex+, are you willing to pay Ex+ price, or how many tiers' worth of price would you expect to knock off for the alteration. I know "the book" says most PSA cards with qualifiers trade 2 levels below an unqualified grade.

Basically, Im just trying to not "overpay" for cards when I don't have to. Though I don't necessarily consider myself a "flipper", it would be nice to be able to someday get at least what I paid for the cards I buy! Thanks for any input you are willing to provide!

Brandon
Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Bruce Babcock

Default Image is Everything

For most OJ collectors, image is everything. The quality of the photo is all-important. There are plenty of professionally graded ex or better OJs in which the player appears to be caught in a snowstorm. Most collectors would prefer to have OJ's with writing on the back or back damage as long as the image is good. More so than other issues, IMHO, grades don't mean all that much with N172s. Likewise, prices can be all over the map because buyers will pay a premium for a great photo even if the technical grade is low.

Last edited by uffda51; 05-07-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

there are certain commons and certain hall of famers tjhat command higher prices due to their scarcity. You will find that trimmed N172's with great images sell quite well to collectors.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 AM

One question that always bothered me is telling if an OJ has been rebacked or not. I think I have developed the knack of seeing OJ backs in scans and telling if they are rebacked but could some one with more expertise on this subject relate how they can spot them?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM

What Bruce said. Back damage does not bother me. Trimming probably would. Image is everything. Technical grade is almost irrelevant.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 05-07-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Todd C

Back damage does not bother me either if there is some writing or small bits of paper loss. Rebacked or skinned cards would bother me though.

Trimming would bother me if it looks pretty bad that shortens the card dimensions dramtically.

With alterations to a card, I do try to factor the price I am willing to spend on Authentic grade.

Last edited by deadballera; 05-07-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added text
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Fred

Image is everything.

I really don't like trimmed OJs especially if the ad is trimmed off the bottom of the card.

I'll take an OJ graded with a nice image graded a 1 or 2 beause of back damage ove an OJ graded 4 or 5 that has a light image but clean back.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Brandon Brown

The particular example I am interested in is a Browns Champs Comiskey, and its only had a slight trim to upper and left border. The image is super strong. I might have to pull the trigger on this one. I havent seen very many unaltered examples in my price range!

Brandon
Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I don't like altered cards; if it's trimmed or rebacked I generally pass. So it's important to me that a card can receive a number grade, but the grade often doesn't mean much, especially if the card is getting hammered for back damage.

Good luck with your pursuit of Comiskey.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

patience is a virtue with these cards sometimes. You should be able to do better than that particular card for the price. I think I have seen a Comiskey for sale on Ebay by a particular dealer for a while and it sounds like the one you might be talking about.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default trimmed?

As long as the card is sold and priced accordingly, trimmed cards can be good values. I can't say I care for them but will take them when I need to. Here is one I haven't been able to upgrade....

ps...btw, what everyone else said....photo and not being altered are the 2 main things. The rest are not so important to most collectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phuncfatherandsons1939chapman.jpg (46.3 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-07-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Brandon Brown

Thanks for the advice. I also came across a SGC 30 HOFer for $800. I may end up going that route since it has a nice image, but scrapbook damage on the back. According to you's guys, it sounds like a better investment at this juncture.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Joe M.

Don't worry about the back, worry about trimming.

Joe