NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Regional Food Issues Book – Any Interest?

As respected collectors, I am looking for some general feedback regarding a proposed book from F+W Media on regional food card sets. The book (table of contents and sample cover photo attached) will look at various regional issues: Esskay Meats, Post Cereal, JELL-O, Stahl-Meyer Franks, etc.

Not a price guide, this provides a background of the regional issue, its intricacies, a flavor for collecting them in that era and its resulting popularity today.

In this publishing climate, I need to present support for such a book prior to approved publication. If such a topic interests you, E-MAIL ME stating such so I can compile a portfolio of hobby support. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Cover-Photo.gif (15.6 KB, 291 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TOC.pdf (15.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Rich Klein

Default I hope they will be satisfield

With sales of 1,000 or less copies.

Frankly, a book such as this is so fragmanted in today's hobby that unless you understand that the book will not come close to 10,000 copies or you are williing to deep deep discount the book immediatley --- there is no reason for this book to be done by F&W

I understand that book print runs may be secret by nature, but WE on this board are the readers for this tome and look even the SCD sub level is probably under 10K now and if you figure that 10 percent of that readership would purchase this book, we're back at the 1,000 level.

There is nothing wrong with "printing like this" but understand that the groundswell will not exist.

I wrote several messages before the standard catalog came out this year about my projections and I'll wager that I'm dead on. I saw the ad from F&W selling the book direct to the public at about $19 a couple of weeks ago. Which of course brings up the issue, why publish to wholesale out your own door.

Trust me, I would have loved to have tried to do something like this at beckett, but there is no mass appeal to this book.

Figure the best way to do this book, color laden photos, good glossy paper, basically a coffee table book and hope that you sell enough at $39.95 because of the quality in the book.

Regards
Rich
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Rich Klein

Default let me change one thing

After reading the PDF --- maybe a sell through of 500 copies.

Rich
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Chris Counts

I realize it's a small market, but I'm looking forward to reading the book. I think the story of the regional food cards of the 50s and 60s is one of the most underrated chapters in the history of the hobby. When I first started collecting vintage cards in the mid-70s, the 50s regionals were the Holy Grails of many collectors. They had far more appeal than all the strange-looking pre-war sets that we often saw but knew little about. I also think the Kahn's Weiners cards deserve a chapter of their own, and it could easily be called, "The Weiner the World Awaited."
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Appreciate the feedback. There aren't any delusions about a high print run for this. It would be a trade book, not mass market, with this audience as one of the main targets for sell-through.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I've sent a note and encouraged others to do the same. I really hope this comes off. I have a copy of a 2009 Hot Wheels book done by F+W in what I assume is a similar style to the proposed regional book and it't fabulous.

Can F+W print to order or do they have to do a run of x copies?

I would add, after reading the TOC, that I hope all years of a particular set such as Post, are used, not just certain years. That may be your intention, I just can't tell.

Well-good luck with this!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Rich Klein

The advantages is that the articles have probably been already written for SCD and thus no extra writers cost.

I'm glad there are no delusions on print run.

I will still say I anticipate a sell through between 500-750 copies

Rich
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Additonal look at the book

The following link provides a more in-depth look to the proposed book by an outside author on the aforementioned regional food issues. This provides more flavor of what the book is about and the style of writing vs. just a TOC.

Fair warning, it's a bit lengthy, but if you like these issues, you'll like the essay.

CLICK HERE
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

That looks interesting

Is is actually coming out? if it;s out, a link to where to buy it would be helpful.

Steve B

Tags
regional food issues