NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Sounds about right to me. I don't have any empirical evidence, but especially I think with more obscure sets (like Berk Ross) it's not uncommon to see the comprable SGC card priced reasonably, and the PSA card a good deal higher.
Hmmmm... The idea that PSA is a good deal higher for more obscure sets and slightly higher for 'common' sets would give quite a bit of credence to the idea that biggest draw for PSA graded cards is the registry and not necessarily the grading. Obviously 1 or 2 cards doesn't prove this, but if the trend is there, it would be a good indication that the registry is the main driver of this, and the higher prices garnered is a side effect of the registry rush.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM
J0hn Collin$

Again, I have no proof per se - but just saying if a card or group of cards from a particular set is less commonly available than others, in general I would expect the PSA graded cards to sell for more than SGC.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:48 AM
James Bom.marito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Again, I have no proof per se - but just saying if a card or group of cards from a particular set is less commonly available than others, in general I would expect the PSA graded cards to sell for more than SGC.
U post frequently
I do not know what u collect
But your posts are intelligent
I put comments out there to get reactions
I stir the pot to get people talking.
If u collect to have certain cards, that is really what the hobby is all about
Enjoyment.
Unfortunately, it has become a money issue..
Sucks!
I don't care about psa or sgc.
I know the sgc president and he's a frickin great guy and fair.
But if u r looking for a fair investment which any reasonable person would...sgc is probably not the way to go.
I'd wait on buying sgc unless it's a super star.
I took a bath on high grade sgc 88s..hall of famers like plank, lajoie recently but made great money on similar names at psa
Not fair.
But I would not buy a sgc card anymore unless its 50 percent less than psa smr.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Jimmy Motz

Does anyone here think SGC will ever close the gap with PSA? I buy PSA graded but submit with SGC do to the price of grading.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer77 View Post
Does anyone here think SGC will ever close the gap with PSA? I buy PSA graded but submit with SGC do to the price of grading.
I hope they do because I think they are the better company in terms of presentation of their product, and their customer service. But I would not hold my breath. PSA got up a huge head of steam in their marketing and "desirability" early due to the introduction of the registry. The fact that they are inconsistent (tough on cards in the 1990's - easier - noticeably on vintage - in the early 2000's. Slowly tougher on everything in the early 2010's. Really and in some cases ridiculously tough on vintage after 2015...) doesn't seem to matter for whatever reason in terms of popularity and the prices their cards bring. Also they had a lot of press and publicity over grading the Gretzky Wagner back 20+ years ago - and yes, although they blew it - nobody really cared.

SGC if nothing else will maintain an even keel due to their popularity with prewar collectors and the fact that if not #1, people know they are a solid company with a good rep - and they are not hated like Beckett among vintage collectors.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:28 AM
James Bom.marito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster#1 View Post
U post frequently
I do not know what u collect
But your posts are intelligent
I put comments out there to get reactions
I stir the pot to get people talking.
If u collect to have certain cards, that is really what the hobby is all about
Enjoyment.
Unfortunately, it has become a money issue..
Sucks!
I don't care about psa or sgc.
I know the sgc president and he's a frickin great guy and fair.
But if u r looking for a fair investment which any reasonable person would...sgc is probably not the way to go.
I'd wait on buying sgc unless it's a super star.
I took a bath on high grade sgc 88s..hall of famers like plank, lajoie recently but made great money on similar names at psa
Not fair.
But I would not buy a sgc card anymore unless its 50 percent less than psa smr.

I don't know much about pwcc
My good friend has said and has decades of experience that pwcc can't be trusted
Many shenanigans
The best companies are mile high and rea
Heritage is corrupt I think too

Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Hmmmm... The idea that PSA is a good deal higher for more obscure sets and slightly higher for 'common' sets would give quite a bit of credence to the idea that biggest draw for PSA graded cards is the registry and not necessarily the grading. Obviously 1 or 2 cards doesn't prove this, but if the trend is there, it would be a good indication that the registry is the main driver of this, and the higher prices garnered is a side effect of the registry rush.
I do believe the registry is the main driver of PSA graded cards. A very smart move by PSA to have people grade cards they otherwise wouldnt. When you have something where people compete just to say they have the best you will have fierce competition. Cards that were irrelevant have now become relevant. As long as PSA has a registry they will always be the most popular. Popular doesnt always mean the best though, that like grading is subjective.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk