NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Default OT: Sad Day in American Sports

It's a sad day in American Sports when nobody is talking about Deontay Wilder's heavyweight title win last night to bring the title back to the USA. Even more sad, when this story is only good enough for the 5th headline down on the right side of ESPN.com. This was once, arguably, the biggest sport in America!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Pay Per View ruined the sport for me. There was a time when only really special fights were on PPV, now it seems every title fight is. I can't afford to watch and really stopped caring about boxing altogether.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I think boxing is a horrible violent sport. Good riddance.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Michael I.

I for one enjoyed the fight!!!! Glad USA fighter could win, he fought a very good fight. To win this for his daughter was very nice as well!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Dave

Well it doesn't really help that he's not really the Champion, title or not, and he hasn't exactly fought a murderer's row of opponents to get where he's at right now.

Outside of Wlad (who is 38 BTW), the Heavyweight division is very weak right now......even counting the non-U.S. crop of fighters out there.

Deontay also needs to fight Wlad before he turns 40, for many people to even take THAT fight seriously.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 AM
Kevin O'Gara

that's because there isn't a murderers row out there
Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Pay Per View ruined the sport for me. There was a time when only really special fights were on PPV, now it seems every title fight is. I can't afford to watch and really stopped caring about boxing altogether.
And that it seems like there are 10 champions for each division that don't want to fight each other.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Eri..c Hu.nt

I also believe that mixed martial arts (UFC) is absorbing a lot of the fans including the younger generation.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 AM
John Smithwick

I thought this thread was going to be about the Packers loss.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:23 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I also believe that mixed martial arts (UFC) is absorbing a lot of the fans including the younger generation.
Which I don't understand one bit... Why are we so careful about concussions, etc. in sports like football and hockey, yet UFC/MMA is being hyped and promoted with no regard for the seriousness of injuries incurred during their fights.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM

I know the sport is in its infancy but you don't fight in the UFC for 10 years or once a week. So I would say your healing time is increased dramatically and there are also trained medical personnel who are on site and not interested in winning anything.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Well it doesn't really help that he's not really the Champion, title or not
Bingo! The champ is Klitschko. It was a very entertaining bout but not the real championship fight.

The problem with the heavyweights isn't that they are so bad, or even worse than has been the historical norm [remember Joe Louis's Bum of the Month?], it is that fans got spoiled by two great eras in heavyweight boxing during the last 40 years: the 1970s Ali-Frazier-Foreman-Norton etc. era [probably the greatest 5-10 years in the division's history] and the 1990s Tyson-Holyfield-Lewis-Bowe era.

I also don't think UFC takes audience from boxing. They are very different sports.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-19-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Ben North

It's been so long since I watched boxing I had no idea who the champ was/is.

I liked the 80's with Holmes, Hagler, and early Holyfield. I done a lot of amateur boxing back then. Seemed like when I quit boxing it I also quit watching it.

Now me and my friends that used to box get together to watch MMA and not a single one of us watch boxing anymore.