NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Default What do you do with 1985 to 1992 cards?

I know there are a lot of high end collectors here, but anybody else but me actually keep their 30000 junk era 1985-1993 cards along with their vintage lol

I have a decent amount of 1950's, 1960's vintage and a handful of T206's but also have the junk.
Never really see it mentioned on here. I am actually wondering whether to just trim down the collection by throwing out the score, donruss, fleer etc. from 1989 to 1992 and my topps dupes and just keeping my run of complete sets. I always wondered if the space these cards are taking up is worth more than the cards.

Maybe there are people here that have already done that.

The memories of these cards have some value as I grew up in this era, but how many 1990 Donruss, 1991 and 1992 score do I need. Or should I just keep the Bonds, Ripkens, Maddux etc.

Last edited by jasonc; 03-09-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

I don't include 1985 in this, but I save cards from 1986-1998 or so after purchasing collections and then sell them in bulk deals for $7 per 5,000 cards. I usually don't bother until I have at least 100K ready to go. If you only have 5 - 10K cards or so just donate or give it to kids or something.

That is the going rate for the junk years these days. Football is slightly higher.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Ben North

Last fall I gave several 1000 junk era cards to a friend that teaches at a Hutterite Colony to give to the kids.

Even though they are not worth much I go through them first and pull all the error cards because error cards is what I mainly collect.

Jasonc if you have any 89 Fleer I am looking for #81 Wade Boggs without the Dot after Throws Right on the back of the card.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I have done my part to decrease the supply by throwing about 15,000 in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Grant Rainsley

We were faced with downsizing possessions when we moved about five years ago. I tried the Children's Hospital, too much maintenance for them picking them up after the kids finished playing with them, but they appreciated the thought. So everything (or almost) post-1980 hit the recycling bin, and has most likely been used as toilet paper or similar. Fitting, for the most part.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Mike E

Smile

Propane is in short supply here in the upper Midwest!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Al Richter

Default Sets

I have my 1985-92 Topps sets, traded sets and any insert or tests sets for those years in binders, just like all of my older sets. Same for Fleer, but no insert or test sets from that period. Gave away any extras

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-09-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Jason Stricker

Default Junk wax

I too have a ton of cards from this time period given I was a kid and a huge collector. My cards from when I was a kid, which have been well loved, remain in the few large boxes. If I end up having kids, especially a boy, I plan on passing this down to him to 'play' with when he's old enough.

A few years ago I went on an 80s/90s junk wax box buying spree to relive some pack opening moments. I kept the cards I wanted, but with the leftovers, I either donated them or threw them away.

I do occasionally use a small stack of cards as 'cardboard' when mailing out a card if I don't have any regular cardboard on hand.

I've also given some away to kids.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have my 1985-92 Topps sets, traded sets and any insert or tests sets for those years in binders, just like all of my older sets. Same for Fleer, but no insert or test sets from that period. Gave away any extras
Actually I have these topps sets from these years in boxes, I find the pages and binders are worth more than the cards lol. But from a collector point of view, it's nice to flip through the pages and look at all the cards, especially if they're in numbered order and you have all the sets regardless of whether it's from the overproduction years or a vintage set.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Al Richter

Default Hobby

That's me, a collector, not an investor....at least not in cards
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Richard A.

Five or so years ago, I cleared out about fifty thousand cards (mostly post-1980, but really a bit of everything, with a smattering of pre-1970). I just took it to a local card shop and gave it to him. In exchange for him taking if off my hands, I only removed the Blue Jays cards (except from complete sets) and figured that way he could pick though and make a bit of money in exchange for taking it off of my hands.

More recently, I've started to piece together some Blue Jays team sets from that era and could actually be using a good amount of that stuff as trade-bait.

Obviously in my case I knew there was a chance I'd get back into collecting something modern. If there's even a slight chance you might do that, and you have the space, I'd say just keep 'em in storage. If they gotta go, though, I may be interested in the Jays cards!

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I have recently taken all the boxes from my parent's home (they were nice enough to let me keep them there when I moved out and got married). My 3 year old daughter automatically assumed that they were all hers. I have been going through the boxes and trying to organize by teams. If I find an error card I sort it out for myself and if I find a card that is in less than NM condition I make a stack for my 3 year old. She has enjoyed playing with the cards (and sharing with her siblings).

After the recent post about COMC, though, I have been thinking of sending all the inserts their way.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Jason Albregts

If you're in the giving mood, try this site.

http://commons4kids.org/
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I took a couple thousand 80's and gave them to a local thrift store this weekend. I started sorting through them and then gave up. Everything was in there: Ripken, Maddux, Thomas, Griffey, Boggs, Schmidt, Ryan, etc...I couldn't fathom throwing them away, but I didn't want to mess with them...It was a time vs. money sorta thing...
Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Mike

Check out Nate Adams Npa 589 on the board, he takes donation for his students in Florida. I donated to him, great guy
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 03-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Smile

Most of you have probably seen this already, but this guy actually cuts the cards up into pieces and creates amazing works of art.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Mark

I bundle all of my current "junk" into 100 card stacks (including stars, inserts etc) and take them to the local children's hospital or the local family shelter.

There are tons of kids there who like sports and would like nothing more than getting a Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky or Shaq or Barry Bonds or Joe Montana card.

I hope they reach a kid who gets excited about the hobby and my little stack helps some kid get back on his feet and become a collector.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Rich Klein

Default We just ran our 1st kid friendly show

And plan to do more -- as a non-profit, we gave away 2 huges boxes of cards and anyone who wishes to donate cards for a tax receipt sheet. we'll take em.

Rich

Show was at my synagogue Adat Chaveriim in Plano on 3.9

Rich