NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Al

Default Closing Tonight: Love of the Game Auctions

Hi Everybody:

On the heels of an awesome National, I just wanted to remind everyone that the Love of the Game summer auction closes tonight at 9PM eastern.

The extended bidding period begins at 9, and continues until no item in the auction has received a bid for 15 minutes. In order to bid in extended bidding, you need to have placed a bid on that item prior to 9:00.

I do expect this one to run late.

Lots of great items in this auction, but I wanted to point out a few special ones that I think are interesting and perhaps are flying under the radar a bit, given some other items in the auction that are attracting so much attention:

• Beautiful N173 cabinets of Hall of Famers King Kelly, Cap Anson, and John Clarkson
• A dynamite T206 set (518/524), with 337 graded (mostly by SGC). The HOFers and most of the graded cards in this set are gorgeous.
• An extremely cool 1949-52 Los Angeles Angels PCL game-worn jersey and cap, with the jersey attributed to infielder Tod Davis.
• A gorgeous N566 Newsboy John Ward, one of many really nice cabinets we have in this auction.
• A nice assortment of interesting T206s, led by a super high-grade Jake Atz, and followed up by some tough backs, miscast, and nice HOFers.
• A huge group of 1916 M101-4/5 Mendelsohn-produced cards, including a ton of Famous & Barr Hall of Famers and other really tough types
• A nice group of PSA-graded 1933 Goudeys
• A host of tough autographs, attractive memorabilia, and our first Americana section (with lots of bargains).

If you're a bidder or consignor in the auction, best of luck. If not, hopefully it'll be an entertaining night to watch!

www.loveofthegameauctions.com

Thanks so much,
-Al
Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Good luck Al, GREAT material here!!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Dave_Berg

Great auction, I'll be up tonight
Old 08-08-2015, 11:08 AM
je.sse @rnot

Lots of great stuff in this one. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Pete Sycks

Amazing auction as always Al

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 08-08-2015, 01:45 PM

I'm staying up late for this one
Old 08-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

So many great items, was nice to see the bat in person. Good luck everyone.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 AM
James

Default lotg

i echo the many positive posts on this thread. this estimate is speculative, but al probably got at least an extra $200k for his consignor by going above and beyond in photo matching the gehrig bat. yes, this likely wasn't an altruistic effort - al obviously benefited as well from the higher price. but isn't that the way it is supposed to work as long as there are no bad actors? the consignor got a sale price probably well beyond their expectations, al did well, and the buyer got a piece that they will hopefully appreciate for many years. i also consigned in this auction, and can sincerely say my experience has been that al is one of the good guys in this hobby.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Tom Boblitt

Won (3) items, (2) below my max bid. VERY VERY fair shipping cost and looking forward to the items. I've won items in 3-4 of the auctions and have always been pleased. There is something with EVERY auction format that hurts some bidder and some consignor but it's Al's job to find the balance to get the most items to the most people......so far, so good.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Tony Ooten

I commented on LOTG shipping costs in Leon's auction thread saying I thought $8.40 (it was really $8.15 after I checked my invoice to be sure) was too high for 4 ungraded cards. One poster commented that he thought $8 shipping for properly packed cards in a box seems more than fine, especially if the cards are insured by LOTG's carrier.

Thought I'd carry my further questions/comments over here;

My 4 LOTG winnings/invoices over the last 2 years were:
4 raw tobacco cards less than $100 shipped for $8.15;
a graded T3 and a graded 52T greater than $800 shipped for $8.80;
a graded T3 $160 shipped for $8.95;
a graded E92 $600 shipped for $8.00

There seems to be no correlation between value/size and cost to ship.

I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on that?

Also, I admit I know nothing about insuring mailed cards and maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but:
This is from LOTG's rules: 21. Insurance is provided by Collectibles Insurance Agency. The buyer assumes the risk of loss on all items purchased once we ship said items.

Doesn't this say that if I buy an item and don't receive it, then I am responsible? I must be reading that wrong because if that's the case, what is the insurance for?

Appreciate any insight
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would look at it that you got a bargain on shipping for the more expensive cards.

At first blush I agree with you that that language doesn't make sense. I assume it's just boilerplate and that if an item did get lost Al would cover it and submit an insurance claim, but I can't speak for him of course.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would look at it that you got a bargain on shipping for the more expensive cards.

Nice point, I remember holding those big boxes that they shipped the T3's in and thinking $8 or $9 seemed about right for those.