NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Default Aaron Hernandez certified Auto card...Closed.

Get this killer of a card! (or, actually, vice versa)

This a pre-conviction auction.

A certified auto card. Add it to your Carruth and OJ collection.

Start at $8.00 and shipping is on me.
PP FF accepted.
Ships the day after payment between cardboard, in bubble wrap. Tracking number will be PMed to you.

ENDS SUNDAY (29TH) AT 6 PM EASTERN.

Thanks.

Last edited by xplainer; 03-29-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

What, no bids? Must going to a bevy at 5:50.
Ends at 6.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
Get this killer of a card! (or, actually, vice versa)

This a pre-conviction auction.

A certified auto card. Add it to your Carruth and OJ collection.

So not humorous that you're being added to my ignore list so that I never have to see another post of yours,
Old 03-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
So not humorous that you're being added to my ignore list so that I never have to see another post of yours,
Though you probably won't see this, fine with that.
I'm a real mean, mean person.
Probably best for your sensitivity level.

WOW.

It's a piece of cardboard.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Brendan Mullen

Although I do not know you, I totally agree Jimmy. People are so overly sensitive nowadays. It's almost embarrassing. Another prime example of the Wimpification of America...
Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Tom

Let's remember, regardless how you feel about it, O. J. was exonerated of double murder in a court of law. His arrest and conviction of armed robbery is not connected to his murder trial. As for Ray Curruth, I never understood that case, but a pregnant woman was killed and a life was damaged forever before it even began. As for Hernandez, his fate remains unknown at this time, but three lives have been lost in brutal fashion. I would not understand why anyone would want his autograph, but then my interest in it is nil.

Not being a wimp, just realistic. So many lives ruined for no reason.

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 03-30-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
Let's remember, regardless how you feel about it, O. J. was exonerated of double murder in a court of law. His arrest and conviction of armed robbery is not connected to his murder trial. As for Ray Curruth, I never understood that case, but a pregnant woman was killed and a life was damaged forever before it even began. As for Hernandez, his fate remains unknown at this time, but three lives have been lost in brutal fashion. I would not understand why anyone would want his autograph, but then my interest in it is nil.

Not being a wimp, just realistic. So many lives ruined for no reason.
People collect serial killer stuff so im sure theres a market for aaron Hernandez.....and in a lesser degree and total different area there are a lot of severe bigots that were terrific baseball players in the T206 series and people collect them

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-30-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Tom

I know there are collectors for infamous people, I just don't understand it.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Maybe Leon can move this to another area for further discussion, but please don't post here while it is in the auction area. Not fair to the other folks with live auctions. I'd like to hear everyones thought, but not in a live auction area.

I've talked through PM's as to not bump this thread. But had to say this.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Tom

At least I kept my comments to myself until the auction was over to prevent the problems I have had in the past.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Scott Levy

I make fun of ppl for watching "housewives" tv show. But the drama here certainly rivals that show at times and yet I still look and occassionally post.

Best wishes
Scott
Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The OP asked me to move this here for discussion so I did. No, we won't be selling in this section, generally, but this is another discussion that is sort of interesting (at least to me).....carry on...
Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I don't have a problem with the auction or the card. I personally wouldn't care to own it, but I surely wouldn't fault anybody who would.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Scott S

I don't care so much about auctioning the card or someone wanting to own the card - there's no reason to knock someone for doing either one.

However, I do not think it's funny to joke about murderers or people having been killed. If you want to sell the card, fine - but no need to make light of a situation where multiple people lost their lives.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Charles Manson signed baseball

Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Rich Klein

wow -- what a fascinating column idea

While not to this extreme, what do you do with players such as Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson

Or with a quick google -- this story about wife beaters including beloved HOF manager Bobby Cox

http://joshqpublic.com/2010/10/12/wh...ers-in-sports/

And of course there are those athletes, again who may not kill anyone, but do bad things after their career

Here is a nice story about Billy Cannon, beloved LSU player

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...030BillyCannon

One issue is if you are working on a set, you need those cards to finish. Period, end of sentence

The other issue is do you really need to have those cards if you are not working on a set. Now that is where the dilemma comes in

Not stating an opinion, just throwing out some comments

Rich
Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
One issue is if you are working on a set, you need those cards to finish. Period, end of sentence
I think we all have the right to handle this in our own way. I didn't want an OJ rookie card in my collection, but needed it to finish a registry set. I bought the card, finished and retired the set, then sold the card.

I laughed at this: "Get this killer of a card! (or, actually, vice versa)" - not appropriate humor for all situations, but on a message board, I don't think that's going to far. There is a tendency to find humor in a lot of situations - I doubt someone could watch SNL, John Stewart, etc. if they were really sensitive (or didn't understand satire.)
Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think it is an adult attitude to be so afraid of a person's acts that we cannot mention him or that we erase his memorabilia from the Hobby. This ain't Harry Potter and Hernandez or OJ is no Voldemort, so I don't have any issue with someone who wants to collect cards of thugs. Besides, you don't honor the memory of victims by erasing the criminal from the collective consciousness.

Infamy is just as collected as fame. Always has been and always will be. Achieving at the edge of the curve, whether good or evil, is fascinating to us ordinary Joes.

What I don't personally want to do is to financially support a person whose fame derives from brutality towards others. I have no problem owning an OJ card--I have several because he was the greatest back in the early 1970s and crucial to several Topps issues of my childhood--but I would not pay him to sign them. But that is my decision and I don't judge others who would get a signature. Maybe the guys from Mastro and Legendary can organize a private signing?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-01-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Sean Costello

I don't collect football, so I have no interest in Hernandez or O.J. memorabilia.

But I was happy to get Denny McLain's autograph. His being a convicted felon only made him more interesting.

As for Jimmy's joking reference, it was just that: a joke. If you don't find it funny, that's up to you. It may even have been in poor taste to some. But it was mild compared to the things I see on SNL, The Daily Show, or Letterman. If it's not to your taste, change the channel; or in this case, read another thread about a T206 card that's missing a letter.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Tom Boblitt

If people had to stop collecting memorabilia of thugs, there would be no more Raiders collectors..........

[rimshot]

The market determines this type of stuff. There are 930 'Aaron Hernandez' auctions on ebay right now. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Let's remember, regardless how you feel about it, O. J. was exonerated of double murder in a court of law. His arrest and conviction of armed robbery is not connected to his murder trial.
OJ was still found liable for the deaths in a civil case...
Old 04-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
OJ was still found liable for the deaths in a civil case...
Good point, however...

He has yet to pay one penny.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Good point, however...

He has yet to pay one penny.
Didn't he have to surrender his Heisman Trophy? I seem to recall that it was melted down into scrap.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't go near OJ or Hernandez stuff. On the other hand, I've got some Bobby Fischer stuff and he was a raging anti-Semite (and I'm Jewish).
Hard for me to explain these decisions but recognize that each is entitled to his own view.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:19 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I don't have a problem with the auction or the card. I personally wouldn't care to own it, but I surely wouldn't fault anybody who would.

+1

Since people are going on rants I'll start a minor one. I completely agree with the above quote 100%. Then again I don't understand how anyone could watch or even like the NFL. It's full of criminals who get away with things, and use steroids. Every other day there's a player in the headlines with a gun charge, domestic violence, drugs, etc. Roger Goodell is a moron who just sits back and cashes in on these idiots with no discipline. Or maybe that's not such a moronic thing to do ?

There's about 5 minutes total of actual game play the rest is watching people on the side line and the clock running down a total snooze fest. Unpopular opinion I'm sure but thought I'd throw it out there.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 04-02-2015 at 04:21 AM.