NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 AM

Default Goodwin & Co. Auction Results

I was lucky to pick up 3 1911 Obaks for my PCL collection last night.

Here are the scans of the 3.

Let's see your winnings!

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spiesman.jpg (22.0 KB, 847 views)
File Type: jpg LaLonge.jpg (20.8 KB, 843 views)
File Type: jpg Schmidt.jpg (22.2 KB, 846 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I won two of the Los Angeles Obaks, as well as the N29 Buck Ewing.

Steve
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM
Robert Williams

WHat was your opinion on the auction last night? I didn't see anything go TOO extremely high....most things either went around average or lower I noticed...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
WHat was your opinion on the auction last night? I didn't see anything go TOO extremely high....most things either went around average or lower I noticed...
I wasn't too excited about the high starting bids on the Obaks. Maybe I'm just too used to ebay prices, but the starting levels on the T212s (at least the Los Angeles ones), seemed too high. I was either bidding or watching 13 L.A. Obaks, and seven of them got only one bid each (including the two I won). Three more only received two bids each. The other three each got three bids.

The N29 Ewing was more like an auction. Started low, and got 12 bids. It went for just about what I would've expected.

Steve
Old 09-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Robert Williams

Yea...I noticed some of the cards 1950's cards started higher than I have ever seen them sell for (they also didn't have bids either). I wonder if that was the consignors doing, or Bill Goodwins doing? I guess it is good that the consignor didn't take a bath, but it also meant no deals for us bottom-feeders.....
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Scott S

Just one pickup for me from the auction last night; had been winning a few heading into OT but was happy to at least walk away with this one at a good price...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg novelty devlin.JPG (25.6 KB, 798 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Phil Garry

Nice pick-up, Scott. I went after the Novelty Cutlery Speaker but ended up the underbidder. Oh well, can't win 'em all............
Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Scott S

Thanks Phil. I was happy with the one I got, which looks nicer than a 50 to me.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I guess it is good that the consignor didn't take a bath, but it also meant no deals for us bottom-feeders.....

As an auctioneer this is my least concern, sorry about that.....(btw, I am a bottom feeder too )

Overall prices were high to average to low, imo.

I picked up one PCL card for less than half of what I paid many years ago...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Todd

A couple nice additions to my small (but slowly growing) collection. The staining on the Brouthers gives it character. lol ...and who the heck is Jim Keefe?

I've been wanting a card of Brouthers for awhile and I like the N162. I thought it would be neat since he played minor league ball in both the town I was born in and the town I currently work in. lol This one was affordable.

The Keefe I thought was interesting because of the "Jim." Picture's not the clearest, but again, it was in my price range.

Now to figure out where to scratch up some $ for B&L!

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broandtim.jpg (13.3 KB, 765 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM

I was able to zero in on the completion of my 1911 Zeenut set (minus Bohen), getting very close. These additions were very welcome. Browning was an upgrade, Kuhn was just too good to pass up, but Smith SF is extremely hard to find as is Lindsay, partly because his descendants buy up every PCL Lindsay card there is. I guess they were busy last night and missed this one. Arlett is another toughie. Also managed an upgrade for my 1909 Obak set. I went hard after the Zeenuts and was glad to say that the final prices were well under my max bids. No shilling here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lot425a_med.jpg (20.7 KB, 665 views)
File Type: jpg Lot430a_med.jpg (21.8 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Lot459a_med.jpg (36.4 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg Lot491a_med.jpg (21.5 KB, 665 views)
File Type: jpg Lot463a_med.jpg (22.2 KB, 661 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Erich W

Default Goodwin

Picked up my first PCLers in Goodwin last night. I feel like the prices were a little above average but was willing to pay a little more for the Weaver (which I've always loved) and the two other Obaks with (IMO) tremendous eye appeal.

I've always liked Bill's auctions and was satisfied with this one as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weaver t212.jpg (69.8 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpg Willett t212.jpg (68.9 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg thornton t212.jpg (68.7 KB, 660 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I thought the prices were very reasonable. And the concern about the starting prices on the Novelty Cutlery PCs seems to have been unfounded.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Sc0tt Br@un

Default obaks

Picked up a few obaks. Chipping away at the sets. Among others:

1910 150s.

1911s

first 1909s
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Todd C

picked up the 1911 Obak with ghost image back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911obakraymond_bk.jpg (24.3 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg 1911obakraymondfrt.jpg (27.7 KB, 613 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Congratulations to all the winning bidders.

I truly hope many of you were able to fill much needed holes in your sets or to upgrade a card or two. I am big fan of the upgrade!!
Tbob, I was also surprised about the Lindsay not going for higher. You are probably right, his family must have been asleep at the wheel. The Obak Miller was really active, I wonder if his family ended up with it. Congratulations on your Zeenut gets. They are truly wonderful cards, and I think you will find that many of them do not warrant the low SGC grade that they received once you have them in your hands. Fantastic eye appeal on both sides of the cards! My grandfather took great care of these (not very hard to when he essentially had them stuck in his deposit box for the last 50 years). Truly unusual for these types of cards.
I have not decided what my plan is for the unsold Obaks and Zeenuts as I am not an Ebayer type, but feel free to pm me if you have any suggestions/ideas.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
D.B. Cooper

Apparently this dude was involved in some sort of scandal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gandil.jpg (24.8 KB, 603 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM
D.B. Cooper

Went into the night needing 9 Obaks to complete the 1909 set. Down to 4. The Whalen card was attacked by the Gandil card. Charges are pending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brackenridge.jpg (6.9 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg Hogan.jpg (6.6 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg LaLonge.jpg (7.1 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg Whalen.jpg (6.8 KB, 603 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Man I wish I would have held off buying earlier in the year as the bargains have come out later... The market for cards continues to soften which is bad for the value of the collection but good for future buying needs...
Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM
JeR@Me

Default Goodwin Winnings :

Tennessee boy :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T211Dick.jpg (23.1 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg T211Dickr.jpg (26.7 KB, 595 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Phil Garry

IMHO the high starting price on the Novelty Cutlery Speaker caused the final hammer price to go well above what this card has sold for in the past while also taking into account the soft economy that we are experiencing. The final price including juice was $4,100+ and another bid would have brought it to over $4,500 which is why I backed off. I believe that it is around a $3,000 card during good times.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Huh?

Don't things (houses, cars, baseball cards etc.) usually sell for less in a bad economy, not more? Can you please explain as I think I might be missing something there. If the card sold for $4K isn't it then currently worth $4K (at least to a small group of collectors)?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Phil Garry

You would think so, Tony. I actually have been trying for 5 years to add this card to my collection and just to get it off of my wantlist and into my collection, I felt that I "overbid" at $3,700+ but there was no way that I would go over $4,000 for it. I guess that there is one individual out there that was willing to go over $4,000 though........
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
You would think so, Tony. I actually have been trying for 5 years to add this card to my collection and just to get it off of my wantlist and into my collection, I felt that I "overbid" at $3,700+ but there was no way that I would go over $4,000 for it. I guess that there is one individual out there that was willing to go over $4,000 though........
I agree that you likely ran into a collector who was willing to overpay for the card. How that's tied to a soft economy or the starting bid, I don't understand.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Phil Garry

I think that the "soft" economy is a general statement that I think most everyone would agree with should yield lower than expected prices on MOST items when comapred to those of a stronger economy. My personal scenario is that in almost every auction that I participate in as a bidder, there is only one item or two at the most that I am interested in which probably differs greatly from most members on this board. So you have to understand that I am gauging my opinion on a very small sample of the overall population.

I still believe, without a doubt, the final price stands a much better chance of ending higher with a higher opening bid than one at 25% of fair market value, as has been the auction houses' norm in the past. I have seen it happen to me too many times from the consignor end to ever agree to anything different.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 View Post
If we could only turn back the clock...

...We learned that one can never pay too much for ultra rare quality material.
Our new strategy has enabled us to acquire more than 30 additions to
America's Toughest Want List since Memorial Day.
-
Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I still believe, without a doubt, the final price stands a much better chance of ending higher with a higher opening bid than one at 25% of fair market value, as has been the auction houses' norm in the past. I have seen it happen to me too many times from the consignor end to ever agree to anything different.
Phil, I think you're looking at a very small sample size (the cards you bid on and the ones you've consigned in the past and not done well on).

If you look at this entire Goodwin & Co. auction, the consensus seems to say that prices are lower than the norm. When has that ever been said about a Goodwin auction? Even in the previous 18 months or so, when the economy was already "soft," Goodwin auctions realized prices that few collectors would have described as below the norm. And those were with the typical lower starting bids.

I'm not saying that higher starting bids played a role in lower prices realized in this Goodwin auction. But it's odd, because everyone agreed before the auction what great cards there were available. And the result was lower overall prices? Odd.

You saying that higher starting bids lead to higher prices realized -- based on a card you were bidding on going for higher than you wanted to pay and your consignments doing poorly in the past -- makes little sense to me.

Last edited by Rob D.; 09-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Scott Levy

Default Im baffled by the prices that rarebacks got...

can some explain this.....

how a burch in a '2' with a cycle back sells for 400+ or a hindu 4 for 900+

It simply makes no sense to me?! By the way....if you feel sad that you were the underbidder, please contact me immediately ... i"ve got around 300 cards available for sale (only half-joking here)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM

On the 1911 Zeenuts, I think there is a reason for the more reasonable prices on Lindsay, Heitmuller, Halla, Bernard, Smith SF, Arlett and others in the auction that are very tough. When 19th Century had their huge PCL blowout a few years ago, there were 4 collectors actively competing for many of the cards, driving prices up. I know there were others bidding, but the 4 guys were all trying to complete the set and all had a ways to go. I am sure there might be others but I know these other 3 guys and they were going to battle for the cards.
Now spring forward 2 years and one of the collectors is no longer pursuing the set and the other 3 set completist guys are all within a handful of cards of completing the set so the prices weren't as strong overall as they were then.
I remember when Larry Fritsch first started selling the 1911 Zeenuts about 5 years ago at $35-40 each for EX and EXMT cards, suddenly cards which had been collecting dust for many years started flying off the shelves and Fritsch put a moratorium on sales until prices were readjusted. I even had to talk to Larry personally on the phone in order to buy 10-12 cards I wanted as he wanted to make sure I was a collector and not looking to flip them. True story. (Glad I had a chance to talk to him before he passed away, we talked about the hobby and many other things. Really nice guy).
Now if Bohen or Fullerton appears, you might be looking at record bids. (Right Steve and Peter?)
Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Phil Garry

As I mentioned previously in the Goodwin preview thread, there were two minor league team postcards c1910 both graded 1.5 by SGC with a HOF'er pictured on each (actually one had two but they were both post-ML career). Starting bid on each was $500 and they both reached $600 in the bidding.

Only a few months ago, I consigned a c1910 minor league team postcard w/Joe McCarthy graded an SGC 1.5 and the auction house would only put a minimum bid of $100. The postcard sold for $100 + $18 juice.

To me, either I chose a really poor auction house (although many on this board are big fans of them) or the starting bid certainly made a big difference on very similar type items.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 09-24-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Phil, sometimes factors impact an auction which are more influential than either a soft economy or very determined bidders. And sometimes those factors are absent.

It may be that the "really poor" auction house you noted just was battling a poor economy and did not have any extra, super-special PEDs in play.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Steve Murray

"Now if Bohen or Fullerton appears, you might be looking at record bids. (Right Steve and Peter?)"

For sure!

I've been putting $100 a month aside for years just waiting for the Bohen to pop up.

Congrats guys on the nice Z11 pickups. I'm real pleased to have the Bernard now putting me just two away from completion.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Speaking as a collector, something tells me that many of the items in future auctions will also be a bit more affordable.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Pup6913

Anyone snag the Joss Cycle backed T205????
Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 AM

I got the Mono!

Lot#403.

Pleased!

Ricky Y
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Default 5 1911 Zeenuts to go

I picked up 4 that I needed, Driscoll, Halla, Heitmuller and McKune and quite a few upgrades of some dogs. Still have 5 to go Arlett, Bohen (have not been packing away $100 a month for this), Hosp, Lindsay & Phfl. I have picked up 8 needed in the last year, but the clock is ticking. With upgrades over the years I now have 85 dups with 64 different. Still working on 1912 Zeenuts, got 1 in Goodwin auction. Have 102 with 57 to go harder to complete than 1911 I think, however a do have a nice 1912 Bohen.

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock - Peter
Old 09-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Matt Wieder

I picked up the Detroit Lorillard's

Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Matt Hall

[QUOTE=Matt;838938]I picked up the Detroit Lorillard's

QUOTE]

Awesome.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice, Matt; I like those cards very much.

Congrats to everyone else who got a win in this one.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

My gets from Goodwin:

Also ended up with the 1963 lot of 15 PSA 9's.

I was very pleased to get the Matty for under a grand.

Tom C
Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Goodwin winnings

I mostly lost, but picked up three I wanted:

First, I ended up taking a Nap, a nice addition to my favorite and most heavily collected set:

Next, I landed a Flame Delhi card, the first Arizonan to pitch in the Bigs--the same year as statehood. His record the season this card came out included 27 wins and 445 innings pitched--as an 18 year old!

Finally, I snagged this Pinch Thomas to compliment my collection of 1917 & 1921 Pinch Thomas cards:
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Default Goodwin Auction

Just wanted to thank Goodwin & Company for packing my 3 Obaks so carefully. I have never received any cards packed so well.

It's a pleasure to do business with a company that takes care of the small details!

Thanks again,

Patrick
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Just wanted to thank Goodwin & Company for packing my 3 Obaks so carefully. I have never received any cards packed so well.

It's a pleasure to do business with a company that takes care of the small details!

Thanks again,

Patrick
Simply the best.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Todd

My cards came in a small envelope, stuffed inside a larger envelope, inside of a box that was inside a bigger box. It was certainly some amazing packing. Fun to open too!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:30 PM.