NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Roger Maris/George Steinbrenner baseball

Need some input on value of the ball ,had it for many years and coming up on retirement I decided on getting it checked out. Got it from around the early 80s I believe, purchased it from a lady who's late husband had something to do with a brewery that she said the Maris family was involved in . someone told me to get it checked out so after 100 dollars later JSA person told me it was a nice ball and all was great. it says Best of luck from the NY Yankees George Steinbrenner on one side and Best Wishes Roger Maris other side .card shop locally offered me 700 plus my 100 back from JSA.after looking online I think that was low but could use so expert advice on maybe a fair value thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2408.jpg (61.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2407.jpg (60.0 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (60.4 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2410.jpg (59.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:31 PM

That offer might not be all that far off. Interesting ball but it's not an MLB ball and the ink is fading on both signatures. I might be inclined to take the offer if you don't have any attachment to it.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Thanks ,there's a card and collectable show this week end here , will try there and the offer from the card shop will still be there hopefully but at least I got a idea now what im looking for thanks again .
Old 09-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Mike Kaminski

If you're willing to be patient, I definitely think you can get over $1,000. Maris is the key here and it displays nicely as a "single signed" example, but the fact it isn't on an official ball and has some bleeding to the signature definitely brings the value down. Still a great piece!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM

ty Mike greatly appreciated
Old 09-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I buy autographs all the time and I wouldn’t have offered you as much as he did. The fact that it is not single signed, not an mlb ball and the autos are fading would make it a very difficult sell. The guy made you a very nice offer imo.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Agreed, Adam. While it's rather unique to see a Steinbrenner/Maris dual signed ball, they don't have any truly notable shared history outside of both being part of the same club during different eras (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

I'd take that dealer's offer and run, especially considering he'd refund you for the cost of LOA.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:30 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

I absolutely agree that it is unique - and unique is not good because you need a unique buyer for it. Since neither is in the HOF you are looking for a Yankee collector who would buy a ball with 2 Yankee icons who have nothing to do with each other.

Recently on eBay a couple of similar condition Mantle and Maris balls have sold -one for 1125 and another sold for a best offer with asking price of $2k. If I can get a very desirable ball for the low 1000s then I would happily sell this ball in my shop for 600-800 if I could find someone willing to take it. Balls like this scare me because they can sit on a shelf for years with no interest. In that time you have to hope those autographs don’t get worse.

Last edited by Yastrzemski Sports; 09-06-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I absolutely agree that it is unique - and unique is not good because you need a unique buyer for it. Since neither is in the HOF you are looking for a Yankee collector who would buy a ball with 2 Yankee icons who have nothing to do with each other.

Recently on eBay a couple of similar condition Mantle and Maris balls have sold -one for 1125 and another sold for a best offer with asking price of $2k. If I can get a very desirable ball for the low 1000s then I would happily sell this ball in my shop for 600-800 if I could find someone willing to take it. Balls like this scare me because they can sit on a shelf for years with no interest. In that time you have to hope those autographs don’t get worse.
unique it is ,was also told that George called Roger Maris in 1977 to attend the 1977Yankees Old Timer game in the south Bronx and it was the first time they got back together in years .if true maybe it was there it was sighned, thought that was kind nice ,sense the ball was dated 1977.ty for the help appreciated always

Last edited by stan1001; 09-06-2019 at 06:41 AM.