NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Then you definitely need to read and study more. It should also be noted that modern analytics are primarily qualitative, not quantitative, and it is beyond the bounds of reasonable dispute that, mathematically, they correlate extremely well with team performance. Since the team is the whole, and the players are the components that make up the whole, there is little reason to doubt that the analytics may be applied to individual players as well as the team with a very nearly equal degree of accuracy.

Please note that I am not speaking of "WAR" (wins above replacement) here, which I believe stands for worthless, analytical rat shit, because it employs estimates of defensive runs saved which it then integrates into a player's total "WAR" rating. MLB Now had the gentleman in charge of calculating defensive runs saved on as a guest, and broadcaster-reporter-writer Rosenthal got him to admit that a defensive run saved as credited to a player is not actually a defensive run saved, because the context in which the outstanding defensive play was made is ignored. Example: the shortstop makes a diving catch of a low liner headed up the middle, a ball that without the great catch would have been a hit, with two outs and a runner on third. Obviously, a run was saved defensively in that context. BUT THE POWERS THAT BE THAT CALCULATE SUCH THINGS ALSO CREDIT A DEFENSIVE RUN SAVED IN A SITUATION WHERE THERE WERE TWO OUTS AND NO ONE ON BASE. Obviously, in the latter context, at best, only a (small) fraction of a run was saved--the probability that if the catch had not been made, and the batter's ball had gone through for a hit, the batter, now on first base, would ultimately have scored that inning (a probability which, as I recall, is somewhere between 10 and 15% at best).

Teams are going much further with analytics than this, and are using both public and propriety data comprehensively. Virtually every team has an analytics staff now--why? Because it clearly helps them win more games.

I would ordinarily say "just my humble opinion," but an "opinion" it most certainly is not.

Best of luck to you in your collecting,

Larry
It would be hard to read and study more math and baseball than I already have. Just a few points to make...

1. A pre-modern stat that correlates even more with team wins than any sabermetric invention is Wins. Yet nearly all fans would agree that ranking the greatest pitchers by wins is a flawed exercise.

2. Let's take two players who have identical stats. One is a clubhouse cancer. The other is a leader and motivator, often giving his teammates helpful tips on how to face certain pitchers or play certain hitters. While various formulas would lead to the same numbers of runs or wins, the reality is the players would lead to very different numbers of wins.

3. You mention most analytics are qualitative but also that they correlate with winning. By definition, correlation cannot be measured unless the variables are quantitative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Яоь

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Did the 52 Mantle hit at the perfect time ? Decades ago not many would have said a post-war baseball card would command over a million dollars.
Do you think there will ever be a "big one" like the Mantle to hit or is it all over past the 52 Mick ?
No. I do not know where the line is, but anything 90s and beyond is not really historical. Now they create manufactured rarities through limited production printing instead of attrition. Also, cards today go from pack-to-slab in under a minute. Doubtful that any cards back then had the benefit of today's technological protection, so what ever survived in mint condition was painstakingly taken care of, not just put into a lucite holder and then shoved in a drawer.

As was mentioned before - today's cards will be worthless if torn or ripped, even if it was a manufactured 1/1. ALL of today's cards are supposed to be at least NM/MT or else it loses its value very steeply. Only a vintage card can wield that kind of power - a power that creates demand for it in almost any condition.

I had a couple of pennies, so I thought I would toss them into this well and make a wish....