NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default Sharing a unique autograph - Slightly OT, but it is a pre-war star

Posted By: jackgoodman

Leon, if considered OT, please feel free to delete.

Thought I would share this autograph I received back in the '60's. I would send 3x5 cards to players (names and addresses usually found in the Trader Speaks) and ask for their autographs. I would usually include a card with a question on it, requesting that they answer the question for me. Many didn't, but some did and they make a valued part of my collection.

This was probably the best response.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Jack, very cool. How many of those cards did you get back with the questions answered?

Old 07-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Daniel,

Only got back about a half dozen. But it made opening my mail more interesting. I took my desire to be different into the autographed ball arena, asking players to sign their full name (first, middle, last) for me. I thought that since a Babe Ruth sig was a great collectible, that a ball signed George Herman Ruth would be even better and a much scarcer signature.

I've now got great sigs of Wilver Dennel Stargell, Jos. P. DiMaggio (that was the best he offered), Johnny Lee Bench, and Sanford Sandy Koufax, among others.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

This is good stuff. Very neat item. O/T stuff is allowed by board participants occassionally...regards

Old 07-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

It is a neat item, and probably was Dizzy's words, but the actual signature is secretarial.

Dean was close to illiterate and seldom wrote anything beyond his name.

You may already have know that, but just letting others know who see something similar in the future.

Scott

Old 07-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

the signature looked a little off. Normally you see the quotes around the Dizzy part of the name. Have a couple 3x5's and HOF plaques of him. Obviously his words though spoken to someone and still a cool item.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

Kind of a small scan, but you get the general idea. From a recent eBay auction:

Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

You guys are definitely the top of the game.

I hadn't looked at the autographs in probably 20 years or so. But pulling the others that were returned at the same time, absolutely makes you guys right. I always had assumed that the lack of quotation marks was a result of his telling a story. But the signatures on the extra 3x5's all have the quotes.

I still like the item alot. But thanks for the heads-up and knowledge sharing.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

The quotes don't determine if the signature is secretarial or authentic. The piece encapsulated by PSA is authentic, however the three index cards are secretarial. Sorry to be a buzzkill Jack, I think that Dean just had somebody answering his mail at the time that you made the autograph request.

Scott

Old 07-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

A definite buzz kill...

Old 07-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Ok, so I suppose next you're going to tell me that the T206 Wagner with the Cobb back I got from a guy who had to sell it to pay for his wife's pms treatments is bogus too!

Seriously, terribly disappointed but appreciate the knowledge in this group. At least all I had invested in them was two 6 cent stamps.

Oh well, on my way to the shredder.........

Old 07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I was a huge baseball fan in the '60s, but never even considered writing away for autographs. But we were always on the look-out for pro athletes who were appearing nearby. The best was a golf tournament where I met Dick Butkus, Lee Roy Jordan, Alex Karras, Mel Farr, Deacon Jones, Pete Beathard, Lem Barney, Mike Lucci, Ed Meadors, and many other football players. You just walked around, caught them buying a beer, milling around a tee-box or at the pool, and talked with them. Too bad kids can't experience that today.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Scott,

Things were different in the 60's. Ball players were more like the guy that lived next door and had to hold down a job selling insurance or Sears appliances during the off season. They were approachable. Not like today's gazillionaires.

I remember going to a Dodger game at the Coliseum. Two rows behind us was Norm Sherry (who was sitting out some games with a broken/sprained wrist or something). Walked over to him, asked him for an autograph and get this, he said "thanks for asking."

Them were the days. That's why I felt fairly good about the autographs I received in the mail. No one was making big money buying and selling autographs so there was no money to be made in forgeries or the like. Oh well.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Heres a Dean auto received in person during Mickey Mantle day in 1965 by my dad who was sitting next to him.Its on a program from that day along with Rizzuto,Heinrich,Jerry Coleman and Joe Garagiola