NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2024, 02:17 PM
Jay Cee

Default Have you ever found a card or box?

So, have you ever found a box or a card you forgot about? I decided to go through a bunch of old boxes in the basement and it was like Christmas. I Found unopened Mastro, HA, and Hunt auction boxes. I haven’t opened them up yet as this is a work in progress.

Back in the early 2000s when I was married, I was a buying machine where we had daily deliveries it seemed from eBay, auction houses and private deals. I didn’t know it at the time, but I think my kids or ex wife would just put the box with the other boxes for me to discover whenever.. I guess I can now say with confidence that I was a hoarder of collectibles and I am downsizing to items that fit my taste. One box I’m hoping to find is a type 1 photos box I did with Henry Yee longtime ago which I haven’t found yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012A8BD3-C206-4AA4-A4F0-65FE0E49515C.jpg (196.1 KB, 1432 views)
Old 01-31-2024, 02:44 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

You were really hoarding for a bit if you have unopened Mastro winnings.

For me 25% of the fun is unboxing the new things, I don't think I could not panic if I misplaced a box even for a few weeks. Unboxing this looks like fun!

Post the secret surprises, I am invested in the excitement now, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:54 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Suggestion

Man I think this calls for some videos of the openings….. hoping for some home runs for you!!!! This is very cool! If you were brave you could auction an unopened box and let the buyer take his chances!!!!
Old 01-31-2024, 03:05 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I'm too OCD not to keep up with everything I buy. Also, a limited budget contributes to the frequency of packages and every member in the family knows to "put it in Dad's chair" if something does show up.

I do have a cool story about finding a card though:

My late father and I started collecting in 1978 when I was 5. Fast forward 10 years later and we were full steam into vintage. Dad had a coworker who dabbled in cards and who's wife was really into antiques. She bought an old sewing machine. My Dad's friend was taking it apart to clean it. When he took off the back panel three cards fell out. Two 1954 commons and another that would have ben a "common" to a kid in '54.... Al Kaline! The cards were in perfect condition as if they slipped in that crack and were wedged in for 40+years. Luck dog!
I included this story in the book I wrote about collecting with my Dad.
I hope the OP has some great luck and fun opening those boxes.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:07 PM
Fred

Mastro? Holy cow!

I used to travel quite a bit. I can remember one span of time when I had over 50 packages waiting for me to open.

I would bid on cards on ebay and when I'd win, I'd get a money order and mail it from where I was at that point in time. I think those 50+ packages was from a time I was out for over 2 months. I remember opening stuff and tried remembering the auction. It was fun opening the packages but I bet I was a bit inebriated when I won a few of those lots.

Biding while drunk is not a good thing - I had a friend that was ripped, he bid on tickets for a sporting event and won. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the event was on the other side of the country.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:24 PM
Jay Cee

Ha! Will post my findings. So far, I now have an amazing collection of cool Harper and Leslie’s Prints all framed. I found my 1910s Indy 500 panoramic of all the cars on the line which I’ve turned down 10 offers on through the HA website since I couldn’t find it. The next offer that comes it will get sold! Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig premiums I found and a big run of Time life magazines.

Speaking of bidding while drunk…. Barry Sloate (hi Barry if you reading) he will remember when he talked me into bidding some Just So cards during the wee hours of the night when you had to call in your bids. Turned out his advice was really darn good!

Looking forward to hearing other people stories about their new yet old finds.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:09 PM

That is awesome JC. Have fun opening the boxes. Please let us know what you find!

Unfortunately, I have only lost things, including a high grade t206 Griffith batting red Hindu that appears to have vanished like a fart in the wind.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:17 PM
octavio ranzola

Not boxes but padded envelopes with cards ,,have no idea what’s in them 😳😳
Old 01-31-2024, 04:38 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Not boxes but padded envelopes with cards ,,have no idea what’s in them 😳😳
Octavio,

I'd guess "padding" is inside?

Can't believe you would not have the curiosity to open them?

Send them to me and I'l let you know
Old 01-31-2024, 05:37 PM
Brian Jordan

Do you remember if you thought you overpaid for the Mastro items ;-)
PS - I'm a neat freak - that picture stresses me out!
Old 01-31-2024, 06:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've never done that, but I did misplace two items for years:

I had a 1965 Topps Lou Brock PSA 8. It fell into a gap between a piece of furniture and a wall that was maybe a millimeter wider than the holder. When i moved it, I found the card.

I also bought a certified auto of Brian May (Queen lead guitarist, in case you don't know) which went missing. Drove me nuts. I was cleaning out a closet and found an envelope with COAs for various items in it. I went through it and found that I had inadvertently tucked the autograph in with the LOA and put both into the COA envelope. Brian's auto is now in the album with Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, and Alex Lifeson (my personal guitarists' Mount Rushmore).

BTW, how is Jimmy Page 80????? If he's 80, I must be nearly 60??? That can't be right. My passport may say 58 but I'm 25.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-31-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:42 AM
David M.

Maybe you should auction the boxes on the front page as "mystery boxes"? That would be fun! Of course, they might be worth more if you never open them.

Or, when you open the boxes, you could treat it like one of those special box openings on YouTube. I would watch that!

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 02-01-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:56 AM

I bought a 1959 Topps Keystone Combo card that featured Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio off of Ebay some time back. I thought the card looked cool, plus the price was great for having two Hall of Famers. About a week after I got it, I looked for some other 1959 Topps cards I had so I could put the card with them. When I finally found the pile, the bottom two cards were the same Keystone Combo card. So not only did I forget I had one, I forgot I had two of them.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-01-2024, 11:34 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Or, when you open the boxes, you could treat it like one of those special box openings on YouTube. I would watch that!
I, too, would watch if you live streamed this -- especially boxes from 20 years ago!
Old 02-01-2024, 12:00 PM

I bought a signed 1989 Hoops card of Michael Jordan from an auction house years ago. During the pandemic, I saw the prices on Jordan skyrocket and went looking for the card. Turned out, I'd had it shipped to my parents house and forgot about it. My dad found it still in the auction houses packaging sandwiched between a pile of old bills:

Old 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Many years ago I did a trade at a National convention with a dealer and as a last second “add on” I got a 1925 W504 Universal Toy and Novelty Uncut sheet of the Yankees with Babe Ruth thrown in. Strip cards used to be worth pennies on the dollar back then. I proceeded to forget I had it for several years (10 or 15?) until I was cleaning out my room when I was moving and I found it wedged in between a couple of books on a book shelf… I consigned it in 2020 with REA and I was pleasantly surprised by the sale price. It was “found” money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E42A23A0-52E6-4E2F-897F-C48DEDD11B70.jpg (191.7 KB, 1040 views)
Old 02-04-2024, 12:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a nice one to forget about, Aaron. Hope all is well your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Many years ago I did a trade at a National convention with a dealer and as a last second “add on” I got a 1925 W504 Universal Toy and Novelty Uncut sheet of the Yankees with Babe Ruth thrown in. Strip cards used to be worth pennies on the dollar back then. I proceeded to forget I had it for several years (10 or 15?) until I was cleaning out my room when I was moving and I found it wedged in between a couple of books on a book shelf… I consigned it in 2020 with REA and I was pleasantly surprised by the sale price. It was “found” money.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Dave Carson

I had been looking for my 1973 Topps Candy Lid set since the pandemic when I really got in to organizing my collection.

I had been through box after box in my basement looking for the Arthur Treachers Jack Brohamer cup that I knew they were in

I started working on cleaning out a closet this week and tonight I found a shoe box on the floor of the closet that included the cup, the candy lids and a bunch of other stuff - my high school newspaper press pass (lol) my college ID and a whole bunch of other things that slowed down the cleaning process

I did count - I have 55 candy lids. Need to get them in some sheets once I get the closet back together. I’m working on my office / hobby room. It’s a mess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2819.jpg (186.9 KB, 826 views)
Old 02-05-2024, 02:01 PM
Jay Cee

Aaron, that is an amazing item and wish I would have went for it when HA auctioned it. Well, all the boxes have been opened except my Mastro box as I’m enjoying the feeling of being a little boy, waiting on Christmas to arrive.

So, box 1 was a return from an AH of some framed items that they didn’t think would do so well…. No surprise I didn’t open it years ago. Box 2 was from Collectible Classics and had a nice message written on invoice from John Burke. In the box was a nice Christy Mathewson Police Gazette paper along with a Mordecai Brown and Johnny Evers memorabilia. Box 3, had a super nice panoramic picture of the Indy 500 race with all the cars lined up by wall. Box 4, was loaded from Hunt with some M114 and M113s along with a bunch of Time, Life and Tip Top magazines. Box 5, had a bunch of Harper Weekly’s, Leslie’s, London News Illistrated, and other supplements and premiums. Box 6, had a 1929 Chicago Cubs framed Chicago Cubs photo. Last box I really liked which had a long statue of the 1927 Yankees team in its original packaging and factory box. There are some other items like Mantle stuff, tickets, etc…. But that’s pretty much it.

Here, are the highlights of what was listed above. Will add the Mastro box when I decide to open including the Henry Yee deal which still needs to be found.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:14 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Very cool!

I am not even into racing and that Indy 500 panorama is amazing. Definitely my favorite of them all.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's quite a bit to forget about. I know of a 12 step program.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Aaron, that is an amazing item and wish I would have went for it when HA auctioned it. Well, all the boxes have been opened except my Mastro box as I’m enjoying the feeling of being a little boy, waiting on Christmas to arrive.

So, box 1 was a return from an AH of some framed items that they didn’t think would do so well…. No surprise I didn’t open it years ago. Box 2 was from Collectible Classics and had a nice message written on invoice from John Burke. In the box was a nice Christy Mathewson Police Gazette paper along with a Mordecai Brown and Johnny Evers memorabilia. Box 3, had a super nice panoramic picture of the Indy 500 race with all the cars lined up by wall. Box 4, was loaded from Hunt with some M114 and M113s along with a bunch of Time, Life and Tip Top magazines. Box 5, had a bunch of Harper Weekly’s, Leslie’s, London News Illistrated, and other supplements and premiums. Box 6, had a 1929 Chicago Cubs framed Chicago Cubs photo. Last box I really liked which had a long statue of the 1927 Yankees team in its original packaging and factory box. There are some other items like Mantle stuff, tickets, etc…. But that’s pretty much it.

Here, are the highlights of what was listed above. Will add the Mastro box when I decide to open including the Henry Yee deal which still needs to be found.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My current rules of thumb are if I don't remember I have it or if I haven't seen it in years, and I come across it, sell it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-06-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have small, medium and large stacks of stuff I always need to sell....but I'm lazy. I will get a round to it when I get around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My current rules of thumb are if I don't remember I have it or if I haven't seen it in years, and I come across it, sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuit.jpg (3.1 KB, 519 views)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:33 PM

We put old boxes, padded envelopes, and bubble wrap into the garage for later reuse or recycling. it seems every now and then my dad gets a card in the mail, opens it, but somehow the box (with the purchase) ends up in the garage.

I've found a few of his purchases in the old box pile in the garage, sometimes as I'm breaking down boxes for recycling. Always a bit concerning....
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 02-14-2024, 06:44 AM
Derek Granger

Jay Cee - no wonder you can’t find your Cy Young Cab! It’s probably in the final mystery box!

If you are looking to move the Leslie’s Weekly you shared, I would be interested. And I agree, that Indy 500 pano is off the charts!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-14-2024, 07:07 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Interesting Find, thought I would share

Back in the 90'S a trash man discovered over 1,000 T2o6 and E-cards in Cheese Boxes in the trash. The owner a Antique dealer for 60 plus years had passed and I guess didn't have any close family so the City of Cairo, Illinois didn't think they had any value. They did have a two day auction later.

Anyway the trashman contacted a Antique dealer in Charleston MO and offered the lot for 200.00. the dealer didn't didn't get it and declined. Mean while the trashman did some checking on the phone the cards, he found out the cards were a gold mine--he sold the T206 he said for 30,000 (probably Cheap)--anyway he held back a 100 or so E-cards which I bought.--Can you believe the Antique Dealer passed on the 200.00 dollar offer, he later told me was a huge mistake, and of course made him sick to his stomach--NO kidding!

The mistake I made I had visited the Antique shop several time and he always ask ANYTHING YOUR LOOKING FOR? No I would answer, if I had just asked --HAVE ANY OLD BASEBALL CARDS-- so from now on I ask--TRUE STORY!

Last edited by Directly; 02-14-2024 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:16 AM

^^^

You could buy the entire town of Cairo for less than those cards are worth. It's become a sadly disturbing-looking place, yet one I have a strange desire to visit. At least Detroit has tried to knock down a lot of its blight.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-14-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:19 AM
Tom Re.bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
^^^

You could buy the entire town of Cairo for less than those cards are worth. It's become a sadly disturbing-looking place.
Yeah, ten times over!
Old 02-14-2024, 12:51 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Yeah, ten times over!
Are there actually people living in Cairo or have the Zombies taken over.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:28 PM
Ryan Christoff

Dude, you should get BBCE to authenticate the Mastro box as unopened, and then auction it off as is! It would be like Storage Wars for card nerds. You were definitely a buying machine back in the day, so the box could be filled with anything! The only thing we know for sure is it's something good.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:31 PM
Robert J. Miller

I will start.....$10.00!
Old 02-28-2024, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default circa 1880s

I was looking through boxes of stuff yesterday and found this larger, 3 x 5, tinytpe. I will add it to my collection as I like it. I have no idea when I got it..

"I think that is Henry Chadwick sitting in the back, in a suit" - signed Jollyrogers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tintype2.jpg (93.1 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-28-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:41 AM
W@de

Great stuff Jay Cee! Those M113 and 114s are so cool!

Eagerly awaiting the Mastro an Henry Yee box.... anticipation is high!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2024, 11:18 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadewade51 View Post
Great stuff Jay Cee! Those M113 and 114s are so cool!

Eagerly awaiting the Mastro an Henry Yee box.... anticipation is high!

Mastro box still sealed and unopened. Haven’t found the Yee box yet which hopefully is in the house. Unfortunately the Cy Young rookie is gone, as I bought it from a board member/dealer on here. I had it out of the safe to possible consign it.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:22 AM
W@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Mastro box still sealed and unopened. Haven’t found the Yee box yet which hopefully is in the house. Unfortunately the Cy Young rookie is gone, as I bought it from a board member/dealer on here. I had it out of the safe to possible consign it.
It's almost impressive to lose these boxes for so long haha. Best of luck with the Yee search! Any idea what's in there?

Old 02-28-2024, 11:24 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadewade51 View Post
It's almost impressive to lose these boxes for so long haha. Best of luck with the Yee search! Any idea what's in there?

Absolutely zero. None.. Nada…. I think I might wait for Christmas and wrap it up from Santa.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:44 AM

Default I found a box…

At the National…
IMG_6951.jpg