NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #881  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:18 AM
savedfrommyspokes savedfrommyspokes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,125
Default

Good catch with your find on the variation on the variation of this card....here is another twist on this card. We all know that the YL can be found with the card number obscured on back. However, I also have a WL with the card number obscured on the back. Yet another variation on the already known variation....I have not seen the obscuration on the WL mentioned. Deans has one WL with a full and one with a partial obscuration on the back.

Seeing the same limited but recurring flaws on both the WL and YL versions begs the question, how did these flaws end on on both the WL and YL?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (75.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.8 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote
  #882  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 4,398
Default

That could happen if the backs were printed first
Or if they printed backs on one press and fronts on another at the same time and swapped piles later.
Which sort of makes sense if they had a bunch of mistakes to fix. They'd done a bunch, stopped and while making the new plates simply went ahead and printed the backs.

There are lots of reasons to do stuff like that. There are a few cards from a number of different sets and it's hard to spot/prove where the normal order of colors wasn't followed. Some 81 fleer star stickers have the black printed before the blue on the front. Black is almost always printed last. If you have a stack, they'll be the light blue ones.
Reply With Quote
  #883  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 AM
savedfrommyspokes savedfrommyspokes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That could happen if the backs were printed first
Or if they printed backs on one press and fronts on another at the same time and swapped piles later.
Which sort of makes sense if they had a bunch of mistakes to fix. They'd done a bunch, stopped and while making the new plates simply went ahead and printed the backs.

There are lots of reasons to do stuff like that. There are a few cards from a number of different sets and it's hard to spot/prove where the normal order of colors wasn't followed. Some 81 fleer star stickers have the black printed before the blue on the front. Black is almost always printed last. If you have a stack, they'll be the light blue ones.
Thank you Steve, the process you describe makes sense with the print defects.....another question (may have long since been answered) revolves around why there are WL variations from this set in the first place? It does not appear that these WL cards are missing the yellow as (with the Perry card) the team's name is yellow.
Reply With Quote
  #884  
Old 11-03-2017, 04:53 PM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 5,217
Default

Darren and Larry---I think I have all 4 now but would appreciate it if you would find any further double variation defects on less expensive cards
Reply With Quote
  #885  
Old 11-03-2017, 05:34 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is online now
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Good catch with your find on the variation on the variation of this card....here is another twist on this card. We all know that the YL can be found with the card number obscured on back. However, I also have a WL with the card number obscured on the back. Yet another variation on the already known variation....I have not seen the obscuration on the WL mentioned. Deans has one WL with a full and one with a partial obscuration on the back.

Seeing the same limited but recurring flaws on both the WL and YL versions begs the question, how did these flaws end on on both the WL and YL?
I have a yellow letter card coming to me with just a partial obscuring of the card number, so that adds yet another wrinkle to the case.
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.
Casey Stengel
Reply With Quote
  #886  
Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is online now
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,965
Default

Here's an illustration of the partially obscured number mentioned above. The two cards in back are yellow lettered and the one in front is a white letter...

1969perry485partiallyobscurednumber.jpg
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.
Casey Stengel
Reply With Quote
  #887  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 4,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Thank you Steve, the process you describe makes sense with the print defects.....another question (may have long since been answered) revolves around why there are WL variations from this set in the first place? It does not appear that these WL cards are missing the yellow as (with the Perry card) the team's name is yellow.
The general process was that they'd have a pasteup of the original art. pictures with borders etc, and that was photographed through filters to get a halftone for each color. (Some colors on some areas aren't halftones - the dot pattern like a newspaper picture)
Those negatives would be taped to an opaque piece of paper, or later, plastic. Some areas of that were cut away to expose what was intended to be printed making the "mask" which was basically a full sheet size composite negative for each color. That would then be used to make the plate.
Defects in the negatives could be fixed with a sort of red whiteout, or with red transparent tape.
All of that was done by hand.
So if the person making the mask goofed and left the name blocked off on the yellow plate the card would get a white name. After the decision to fix it, the mask could be altered to expose the name are, and new plates would be made.
The place I worked didn't have to do that in the time I worked there. We did have a few days of work when the camera guy took the pics for an entire booklet while he was under the influence of a liquid lunch and decided to clean the area just before doing the camera work. Thousands of spots from airborne dust that all had to be fixed - manually with that red whiteout.....they thought I had decent attention to detail so I got a space at a light table and a couple days working at fixing the masks.
Reply With Quote
  #888  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:02 PM
savedfrommyspokes savedfrommyspokes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,125
Default

Thank you once more Steve, your explanation as to why the YL were missing makes perfect sense
Reply With Quote
  #889  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:00 AM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 5,217
Default

It is so maddening when someone makes sense in here, particularly if it is perfect sense
Reply With Quote
  #890  
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 4,398
Default

Sorry, I'll try to cook up some complete nonsense.......

Although it might be hard to come up with a more confusing process
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 Topps High # Print Variations 4reals Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 9 04-27-2014 08:05 PM
Are these variations or print defects? savedfrommyspokes Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 16 02-09-2013 01:52 PM
Well known print defects. Do variations exist without? novakjr Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 9 01-28-2011 06:32 PM
Finally confirmed - d311 print variations exist! ("bluegrass" variations) shammus Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 09-03-2010 09:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


ebay GSB