NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Storing Cards in Plastic Binder Sheets

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Storing Cards in Plastic Binder Sheets

I have a question about how you all display your collections. Recently I grew tired of having all my cards stacked in a shoebox in either their toploaders or slabs. I suppose that having a shoebox with cards in it is not an attractive way to display your collection. While I didn't want to take the graded cards out of their holders, I pulled some of my ungraded cards out of the shoebox and decided to find a better way to show them off. I decided upon a nice office 3-ring binder and some plastic card sheets. This presented a couple concerns right off:

1. The pages are, of course, flimsy and I was concerned that when you turn a page, you're sort of bending the card. I figured over time, this would cause some weakening possibly even wrinkling to the card

2. A hobby friend told me that the plastic pages themselves secreted some sort of an "oil" when also may affect the cards over the long-term.

To get around both of these issues, I cut up a whole bunch of those thin plastic/mylar topholders to fit the card sleeve and hold the cards. This keeps everything straight and prevents the cards from getting bent and also prevents the cards from coming into direct contact with the pages themselves so no oils or residue can build up. I was curious if there was a better solution than this for displaying cards in a binder or what you all have used for your own collection. Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I believe that all newer plastic sheets are made without PVC's so the extra protection shouldn't be needed.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Hi Brian:

I display/store in a couple of different ways:

1) For graded sets, I use MJ Roop boxes. More valuable sets get wood boxes, less valuable ones get cardboard boxes.

2) For my 1938 Goudey set, which is graded by PSA, I use two Roop binders outfitted with Ultra-Pro hard plastic sheets that hold PSA slabs. They look great.

3) My HOF set, which is graded, is displayed on small homemade shelves in my card room.

4) I keep ungraded sets either in card savers in a Roop box (or a cardboard box, if the set isn't particularly valuable) or in Roop binders. Every card goes in a mylar penny sleeve first, before it goes in the card saver or binder.

I find the Roop stuff to be very durable. The binders come with slip cases that stand them straight up, and I use Roops "page turners" to add stability to the binder pages. The D-rings are large enough that I don't think there's enough stress put on the individual pages that the cards will suffer long-term damage.

Here's a photo of the stuff, before my card room was done (so the stuff on the walls is incomplete).

-Al

Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

this works for me....not the most "space effective"....but they will display very well.

i use a d ring binder with 4 card sheets.

take a card, put in a penny sleeve, put in a flat toplaoder, put the top loader backward in a team bag. do not seel the team bag.
put the bag into the four card sheet and remove the adhesive strip.
then attach the adhesive strip to the front interior of the 4 card sheet.

cards look very nice and uniform, but it does take some space.

hope that helps, feel free to email if you cannot decipher my giberish.

regards

Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HandsAtNeck

Here is probably more gibberish:

I organize my cards in three ring binders by themes. This results often in different sized cards being grouped together. In order to address this consideration of upright, horizontals and different sets being assembled on the same page while increasing page rigidity, I use full page sheets from Staples. In each sheet I put an art board cut out so that each card fits into the board. I encase the cards in mylar by taping the mylar to the board, inserting the card in the hole, putting another piece of mylar over the card back, taping this second (larger) piece of mylar to the art board; then placing a second art board over the back of all of the cards - either cut out to display the backs, or not. These boards are sized to fit the comparitively thick Staples full page sheets well, so joining the two boards is not necessary. These full page sheets include flaps which seal the package, so there is typically no movement of the sandwich.

Please email: identify7@aol.com if clarification is wanted.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Here is what I use (MJ Roop Binders and UltraPro 4 Card Sheets) for my graded cards:

Old 04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

What your doing with cutting up the mylar holders and putting them in the binder sheets will work fine. Even without the mylar they will stay preserved. I have a binder with some cards that I am either selling or am going to sell to keep them seperate from my collection and they stay fine. I can also tell you that I know collectors who have been keeping cards in binders since the 70s and still do it today without any complaints.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Bob

I personally put my t205 and t206 cards in small size sleeves. You can get those in t206museum.com site. I think they call them T.E.N. sleeves. Hope this help.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

i either make the holder/insert myself for my ungraded cards or i have them graded....

Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Zach, if you know people that have cards in plastic since the 70s, I'd be very worried about those cards. Unless they bought mylar sheets, they have plastic pages that will leech PVCs into the cards. Inert, non-PVC pages didn't start being made until about 1980. I remember this becuase Rotman's made a bif deal of the fact they were the first to be offering non-PVC pages. This was either 1980 or 1981. I'd be very leery of any plastic pages made before 1980.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Jay, I shouldn't have worded it like that. The cards are not in the same sheets they were in the 70s but they have always been keeping their cards in plastic sheets for 20-30 years and have never had a complain about bending a card, wrinkling a card, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 AM
nels0n aud.et

ANyone here use 4 pocket page for his SGC graded cards ?

If yes i would like to know how many page, cards can you can have in a 3 inch binder ?

and also want to know if the card is tight fit with sgc holder in the 4 pockett page ? the card want to go OUT of the page ?

thanks

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 11-14-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Arnie

I have had cards in plastic sheets for decades with no damage. I put all my cards in sheets, even if i buy them in slabs, i remove them from their plastic tomb and into sheets in albums they go.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
John Hanssen

Wanted to share the way I keep my raw cards. After a t-size top loader and sleeve, I store the in a credit/ business card holder. This also fits in a small bank box if you are so inclined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.4 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by nebboy; 12-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.