NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Default SGC & Hand Cut

Hello all,
Just wondering...Today I received a group of 1954-55 Baltimore Zipcards from SGC. They received numerical grades, but they have also been designated as "Hand Cut" on the label. For what it's worth, the Standard Catalog provides approximate measurements due to their "hand-cut nature", but they're pretty rare so I'm not sure if they deserve a definitive "hand cut" on the label. Also, I just looked quickly through ebay at other hand cut cards and none of them have that designation on the label. Not sure if I like that or not. When it comes time to sell, will people think "Wow, those must be even more hand cut than normal hand cut cards!" SGC had only graded 6 of these before my 25, so I really don't know if they had done this to the other zipcards.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954205.jpg (72.9 KB, 262 views)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I wouldn't be concerned. The grade is what matters. Nice cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Major applause for sgc....If they are hand cut they should be labeled that way
Old 10-04-2014, 01:15 PM

TATSR, Howdy. While I know nothing about this card issue, let me join the others in easing your worry. One of the good things that professional grading companies do is to provide the designation of "HAND CUT" to their label as a point of historical reference to the manner in which the cards were offered to the public.

For example, the 1960-1963 Post Cereal cards were printed on the backside of their breakfast cereal boxes. You had to cut the cards off the box to get the individual cards. The noteworthy exception was 1961, whereby the customer could send a box top and change for a team set (which was usually not the entire team printed by Post, and some cards were only included in the send away offer, while a few were only to be found on the cereal boxes. This sounds confusing, and perhaps a poor example). Nevertheless, the key to my point was that the consumer had to hand cut the cards off the product package, whereas all gum cards and many regional issues were factory cut and ready to add to your collection.

The merits of hand cut cards are considerably enhanced when the professional grading firm assigns it a grade as high as the example you provided us. In other words, the "HAND CUT" designation makes the card all the more remarkable and valuable when it receives such a high grade. Really, anything Near Mint or better with a hand cut card is pure wow.

Nice going, collecting bro!

Please favor us with any details of the set, if you know.

Take care. ---Brian Powell
Old 10-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Todd Schultz

The problem with that, Brian, is that SGC does not indicate "hand-cut" on Post cereal cards or Bazookas either (or Hostess). I do not know if they are changing their policy or because this issue is so scarce they felt a need for the designation. Frankly I'm not convinced they are hand-cut from the scans I have seen of these and others, although I've never held one in hand.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-04-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
The problem with that, Brian, is that SGC does not indicate "hand-cut" on Post cereal cards or Bazookas either (or Hostess). I do not know if they are changing their policy or because this issue is so scarce they felt a need for the designation. Frankly I'm not convinced they are hand-cut from the scans I have seen of these and others, although I've never held one in hand.
Todd, I was not aware of SGC's policy. You are absolutely right, and I'm surprised I never noticed this omission. I have a couple SGC-graded Post Cereals, one graded in the late 90's and one from about 2009, and having just come back from looking at them, there is indeed no mention of their being hand-cut. I guess my eyes were always glued to the card and their grade when viewing them. Were it not for the fact that it is so well known that Post Cereals are hand cuts, I would feel cheated a bit. Regardless, thank you for correcting me on this. Perhaps SGC is changing their policy on divulging the hand cut nature of an issue; however, I shan't re-holder my cards just for that mention.

As for the Baltimore Oriole regional that started the discussion, I obviously would have no idea one way or the other.

Thanks again, Todd. ----Brian Powell
Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Todd Schultz

"Were it not for the fact that it is so well known that Post Cereals are hand cuts, I would feel cheated a bit."

I agree. I also agree with Leon that all hand-cut cards should indicate that, even if it is obvious or well-known. A numeric grade can still be assigned, IMO, but then the buyer/owner knows or should know that the card may have been cut recently or at the time of issue (or anywhere in between). More information is better, I say.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Sgc

Tom, I agree with Leon and think Sgc got it right. A 96 is kind of a nice grade. Also, did you contact Sgc with the concerns you posted on the main forum?? I think they would have been happy to answer questions.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Thanks for the responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Tom, I agree with Leon and think Sgc got it right. A 96 is kind of a nice grade. Also, did you contact Sgc with the concerns you posted on the main forum?? I think they would have been happy to answer questions.
If they were being consistent, I would agree. I would also be in favor of all hand cut cards being labeled as such. But should the "hand cut" designation be reserved for cards that were intended to be cut (like strip cards or box-based cards)? I don't think anyone knows how these were created or how they were distributed.

I didn't contact them first because I received the cards today and wanted to see if anyone had ever seen any SGC card with "hand cut" on the label.

And if this is a new policy, I wish they had started with the next submission
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Gobucsmagic74

SGC also labels some 1952 Topps Mays and Mantle's as 'Rookie' while leaving it off other flips. I'm not sure if this is done by request or just a shift of thinking through the years, but in any case there's a lack of consistency there as well.