NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2017, 08:12 AM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is online now
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 769
Default Win Streak = $1.7M in Rebates?

As a diehard Indians fan, it has been a blast watching the Tribe rattle off 16 wins in a row (going for #17 today). They now have by far the best run differential in baseball, and are only 1.5 games back of the Astros for the best record in the American League. This is also without Michael Brantley and Andrew Miller, two of our cornerstone pieces in the OF and bullpen respectively.

However, some Indians fans and even non-Indians fans were cheering for the Tribe for a different reason Thursday night.

Universal Windows Direct (a local NEO company) offered a promotion during all of July that any customer who did business with the company would receive a full rebate if the Indians went on a 15-game winning streak any time between Aug. 1 and the end of the season.

Well, Thursday, the Indians did it. They won their 15th straight. UWD purchased an insurance policy for this promotion, but the total payout in rebates is $1.7M. Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...eak-reaches-15
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 09-09-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM
MCoxon MCoxon is offline
Mike
member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
As a diehard Indians fan, it has been a blast watching the Tribe rattle off 16 wins in a row (going for #17 today). They now have by far the best run differential in baseball, and are only 1.5 games back of the Astros for the best record in the American League. This is also without Michael Brantley and Andrew Miller, two of our cornerstone pieces in the OF and bullpen respectively.

However, some Indians fans and even non-Indians fans were cheering for the Tribe for a different reason Thursday night.

Universal Windows Direct (a local NEO company) offered a promotion during all of July that any customer who did business with the company would receive a full rebate if the Indians went on a 15-game winning streak any time between Aug. 1 and the end of the season.

Well, Thursday, the Indians did it. They won their 15th straight. UWD purchased an insurance policy for this promotion, but the total payout in rebates is $1.7M. Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...eak-reaches-15
Been a great story. I'm going tomorrow night, hoping they win #18. In addition to Brantley and Miller, they've also done this without Jason Kipnis, a team leader and a previous all-star at 2B

I think the business owner paid $75K for the $1.7M insurance policy; I'd say it's been a good advertising expenditure for him.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 PM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is online now
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
Been a great story. I'm going tomorrow night, hoping they win #18. In addition to Brantley and Miller, they've also done this without Jason Kipnis, a team leader and a previous all-star at 2B

I think the business owner paid $75K for the $1.7M insurance policy; I'd say it's been a good advertising expenditure for him.
100% agree about it being a good advertising expenditure.

I'm actually not a Kipnis fan. I will go as far as to say I don't think we have this streak if Kipnis plays.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2017, 08:01 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
As a diehard Indians fan, it has been a blast watching the Tribe rattle off 16 wins in a row (going for #17 today). They now have by far the best run differential in baseball, and are only 1.5 games back of the Astros for the best record in the American League. This is also without Michael Brantley and Andrew Miller, two of our cornerstone pieces in the OF and bullpen respectively.

However, some Indians fans and even non-Indians fans were cheering for the Tribe for a different reason Thursday night.

Universal Windows Direct (a local NEO company) offered a promotion during all of July that any customer who did business with the company would receive a full rebate if the Indians went on a 15-game winning streak any time between Aug. 1 and the end of the season.

Well, Thursday, the Indians did it. They won their 15th straight. UWD purchased an insurance policy for this promotion, but the total payout in rebates is $1.7M. Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...eak-reaches-15
I am a Jays fan at heart but when I heard Encarnacion wasn't returning, I instantly became an Indians fan.
I don't know how many times it happened this year, when I caught wind the Indians were playing and turned on the T.V., I was able to see Edwin hit a home run! 32, maybe 33 straight games now he has been on base at least once.

Not sure what all happened between him and the Jays (the truth, anyways) but it is pretty plain to see letting him go was a big mistake.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 AM
barrysloate barrysloate is offline
Barry Sloate
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7,077
Default

Now 19 in a row and they have outscored their opponents 132-32!! Almost impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:57 AM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is online now
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Now 19 in a row and they have outscored their opponents 132-32!! Almost impossible.
It's ridiculous the tear they are on. If they win tonight I'm buying tickets to tomorrow night's game.

They now have the best record in the AL, and are closing in on both the Nats and the Dodgers for the best record in baseball. They've gone from a 160ish run differential to 200+. And this is all without Brantley, Miller, Kipnis, partly Chisenhall, partly Tomlin, and now without Zimmer. Even JRam got hurt for a bit.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 AM
barrysloate barrysloate is offline
Barry Sloate
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7,077
Default

Hope they at least get to 21 and set a new AL record. They are poised to finally get that elusive world series ring!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 PM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is online now
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 769
Default

20 wins in a row baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 AM
cardsfan73's Avatar
cardsfan73 cardsfan73 is offline
Scott Ti3k
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hope they at least get to 21 and set a new AL record. They are poised to finally get that elusive world series ring!
Wouldn't 21 actually tie MLB record for longest WINNING streak?

The 1916 Giants went undefeated in 26 straight but had a game end in a tie after win 12 & before win 13.

The actual longest Winning streak (with no ties) belongs to the 1935 Cubs who won 21 in row and then went on to lose the World Series to the Detroit Tigers.

The 1916 Giants who went undefeated for 26 straight games still finished in 4th place. Ouch


The 2002 A's who won 20 straight lost the AL Divisional Series to the Twins.

Maybe winning all these games in a row is not a good sign for the Tribe!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is online now
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Wouldn't 21 actually tie MLB record for longest WINNING streak?

The 1916 Giants went undefeated in 26 straight but had a game end in a tie after win 12 & before win 13.

The actual longest Winning streak (with no ties) belongs to the 1935 Cubs who won 21 in row and then went on to lose the World Series to the Detroit Tigers.

The 1916 Giants who went undefeated for 26 straight games still finished in 4th place. Ouch


The 2002 A's who won 20 straight lost the AL Divisional Series to the Twins.

Maybe winning all these games in a row is not a good sign for the Tribe!
This is a hot button topic right now in Cleveland. We're all trying to figure out exactly what the record is and how that "tie" was scored in the books.

According to Baseball Reference, the game was tied in the 9th when they had to end the game due to rain. They came back the next day and re-played that game in its entirety, then played another game that day. They won both.

On Baseball Reference, they have that rain-cancelled game marked with a T for Tie, but it is not reflected as a tie in their overall record.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...e-scores.shtml

Regardless, I would like to get to 21 and then 22 to knock the Cubs off the record books for at worst the second longest winning streak in MLB history. I think I count the 26 wins in a row and hold that as the record, but it's interesting.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT: MLB Beat The Streak bn2cardz Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 04-10-2014 08:06 AM
KickItBack.com for eBay rebates??? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 10-18-2007 11:26 AM
Streak... Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 11 10-04-2005 08:47 AM
Bye bye streak Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 09-09-2002 10:36 PM
Castillo's hitting streak Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 24 06-24-2002 10:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


ebay GSB