NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Rich Klein

Default Funniest trade you ever made/What non-card items did you get or recieve in trade

I had one come up on the Topps Million Card Giveaway; where I was offered a 1971 Frank Tepedino card for,,,,,,,,,, (wait for it) a

1971 Frank Tepedino card.

(As an FYI, these are all virtual cards until you ask for them to be redeemed, so I was offered the same card in trade that the other person wanted)

What is YOUR favorite funny trade story

In my Beckett days; we used to come up with creative trades amongst ourselves; some of the items traded for baseball cards included:

TV Sets; Golf Clubs, Airline Tickets, and the random lunches and dinners. What are some NON-Card items YOU either traded for BB cards or got in return

Regards
Rich
Old 05-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Mike

I am a veterinarian. I have a client that owned a card shop and found a cat. I traded exams, vaccines, and spay for cards.

Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I traded some empty sweet caporal packs for a 1909 Presidential (taft/sherman) ash tray. I always found that one kind of funny
Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

I have traded pre-war cards for legal services .
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I paint and sculpt miniatures for various game and model companies around the world. I currently trade painted military miniatures to a model collector in England for T206 cards he finds there. It's worked out pretty well for me.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:26 AM
qualitycards

When I had a card store, a customer who was a pizza delivery guy at night
proposed a trade for a Roger Clemens Topps rookie for a pizza dlvd that night.
Since I needed dinner and ya can't go wrong w/ pizza...I accepted.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Back in the '77-'82 range, I would trade cards for concert tickets with a guy that had a ticket agency here in So Cal. He was from New York and was a big Yankee guy.

I remember seeing The Who, Queen, The Cars, Beach Boys, Neil Young, Rod Stewart, Linda Ronstadt, and plenty more... Good times.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Frank Wakefield

I accepted some ball cards as payment toward legal fees years ago. The client had seen some baseball stuff in my office, he brought cards along on his last office visit and offered some cards toward his fee.

Went to a show and bought a matted, unframed piece that had a photo of Fred Snodgrass and his autograph on a 3x5, bought it for $15 after a bit of haggling, years ago. Sold it to a fellow collector a few days later for $20, he'd been with me when I bought it for $15. Then I bought it back from him about a month later for $25. He'd thought he didn't have his autograph on anything, I thought I did, we were both mistaken at the time. I keep thinking I might get a new matte cut that would accommodate the photo, autograph, and a T206.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 AM

When I was a teenager in the mid-1990's I got into a car wreck when my Jeep Cherokee slid off our driveway on some ice and hit a tree (happens all the time in Maine). It was about $500-$1000 worth of repairs and I traded ALL the repairs to a mechanic that I found out was a card collector for a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie. When that card went through the roof in 2000-2001 I thought I had made a bad trade but is retrospect now, I think it was pretty good on my end. I remember it being Mint but I am sure it was only in the 6-7 range.

Also, not really a "trade" but when my current wife and I were dating in college (late 1999) and I was broke, I took my nicest item I owned and put it on ebay and told her that whatever it went for would be what she could spend on the diamond for her engagement ring, I had already bought the band. I figured about $1000 and she had been looking at diamonds in that range, it was an 1889 Spalding black band trophy bat issued to a team with all the names of the players painted on the barrel etc. She watched with GREAT interest and it closed at about $2000 so she got herself a little bigger diamond. It was a good trade.

Last edited by prewarsports; 05-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Mike

Frank,
Your story sounds like the one of the two farmers who kept buying and selling the same cow to each other. One day one of the farmers sold it to someone else. The other farmer asked why he would do that because they were both getting rich off that cow.

Mike

Last edited by cliftons8; 05-08-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add smiley
Old 05-08-2010, 02:38 PM

I used to have a college job at a vided arcade in the early 80's.

I used to trade game tokens for cards from kids.

I got about 100 nice EX-NM 61-64 cards, including many Hall of Famers and a 62 and 64 Mantle (the 62 graded a 6) from one guy for $50 and he also got to put his hand in the token machine and get 2 handfulls of game tokens.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Mike Henson

Back in 1988, I traded my entire 1950's-60's Topps collection,thousands upon thousands of cards with many duplicates of key cards for three guitars, a 1958 Fender Strat and a pair of 1969 Gibson Les Paul customs. I still have all three and have them hanging on the wall in cases. I have seen comparable Strats in the 40k range and the Gibsons in the 20k range. Back in 1988, I thought it was a fair trade based on card values at the time,today it would be hard to say,this was way before card grading companies were around, so it would hard to place a value on those cards in today's market, or even when card values were at their peak. I can't even recall what all I had, I do know that I had a half dozen or more each of Ryan, Rose, and Seaver rookies. I am just glad I didn't start selling off my pre-war collection back then. Since then ,with the exception of a few key cards from 1952-58 Topps I have stayed focused on pre-war and never replaced those cards.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
I used to have a college job at a vided arcade in the early 80's.

I used to trade game tokens for cards from kids.

I got about 100 nice EX-NM 61-64 cards, including many Hall of Famers and a 62 and 64 Mantle (the 62 graded a 6) from one guy for $50 and he also got to put his hand in the token machine and get 2 handfulls of game tokens.
David, remind me not to hire you!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default My first pre-war cards

Back in the third grade, Dennis B. had two 1934 Diamond Stars- Joe Medwick of the Cardinals and Julius Solters of the Browns. I had never seen cards that old before and they were spectacular! (Seinfeld reference purely coincidental.) I offered Dennis a king's ransom in '61, '62 and '63 Topps. He turned down every offer without so much as a counter.

On the last day of school we were issued our report cards. He and I were walking home from school when he asked to see my report card. I said no and he asked 2 or 3 more times. I wasn't going to show him. Finally, he said. "I'll give you my old cards if you let me see it." My instant response was, "Here! Keep it!"

I still have those cards and probably always will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS Medwick.jpg (63.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

In 1979, I played little league in the San Fernando Valley. The fields were built between a power station and a river wash. There was lots of scrub brush, tall grass and dirt around. I was walking behind the last field on the edge of the fence near the wash when I came across a dead lizard. Not sure how it died but to a 8 year old it was very big news and ultra cool. I went back to my team and told them I would show them the lizard for any cards they had or a quarter. I ended up with about 30 random cards and 4 new 1979 Topps packs when all was said and done. They got to see the dead lizard, I got a Reggie, Schmidt, McGraw, and Garvey. I still have several of these cards in my collection.

Joshua