NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Ethan

Default Rafael Devers

I'm not a post-war collector, but I have been intrigued with Red Sox 3rd baseman, Rafael Devers and was thinking about picking up one of his cards. If you could have one Devers card, what would it be and why?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

It depends on your motivation for collecting and what speaks to you. His first card was 2014 Bowman Draft. But the card that will always be his best and most desireable is his 2015 Bowman Chrome Autograph because it is his first Chrome Auto. You can get the base autograph or spend more to get a color border numbered auto. The lower the number the better. I hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Garth Guibord

Certified autos can be fun and whatnot, but I'm not a big fan of the different colored bordered cards. To me, it's just not different enough to the base version (but I get that to other people it's a much more desirable version).
However, I do like the photo variation options that Topps makes (most of the time), and Devers has a few in the 2018 set. On top, from left to right, are the 2018 Topps base, the SP variation and the "complete set" version, and the graded card below is the SSP image variation. If I could only have one, it would be the SSP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devers.jpg (19.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Ethan

This all makes good sense. What would people consider to be his most valuable card?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Garth Guibord

Got to be some sort of auto-refractor-low serial number thing.

His 2018 Topps Archives auto card is pretty sweet, and depending on your tastes, there are those Topps Living and other online exclusives that may have auto versions, too.

But I think if this is an investment, the typical target would be one of those Bowman auto-refractor things, if you can afford it. If it’s more for fun and less investment, some of the others may be more appealing.

Here’s his cards on the trading card database:
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Person...tName=&sBrand=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 07:14 AM

I'd go with the Heritage auto. I look for Heritage first for anyone I'm interested in. The Bowman cards are usually not all that much to look at.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
I'm not a post-war collector, but I have been intrigued with Red Sox 3rd baseman, Rafael Devers and was thinking about picking up one of his cards. If you could have one Devers card, what would it be and why?
If you wouldn't mind my curiosity, I'd be very interested to hear about what you end up with and what your ballpark budget is for it. Looks like Heritage auto cards are selling for a few hundred dollars, while some of the low-numbered Bowman auto cards can get into the four figures and approach five figures. For that kind of scratch, one could also readily acquire a high-grade Mike Schmidt rookie (PSA 9 in the $2k range, I believe), which makes for an interesting comparison, I think.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Ethan

Yeah, I agree. I'd like to get one of his top shelf 2014 or 2015 cards. Willing to spend a fair amount.