NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Default Opinion on Ott and Bottomley 1940 PlayBall

I have these cards which have been in my collection a long time, and I cannot recall where I got them or who I got them from.

The Ott is in a red fountain pen and Bottomley in blue fountain pen. Ott doesn't give you much to compare since it is only 6 letters, and I know Bottomley's signature varies greatly. If you are familiar with these signatures, any help would be welcomed and appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img708.jpg (69.1 KB, 369 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

No and no.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Unhappy

I have purchased 3 Ott's in the past 5 or so years for 500 HR pices including a 39 playball from BST here. None match up to your example.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha-rock View Post
I have these cards which have been in my collection a long time, and I cannot recall where I got them or who I got them from .
In addition to my earlier comment I have to call BS on this info.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Michael

I know tha-rock and he is one of the most honest people I know and been collecting and buying for a long time. I agree that I do not like either auto but he did buy some good and some bad autos in the past- many 20+ years ago.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
In addition to my earlier comment I have to call BS on this info.
Not cool man. I agree that both of them are bad forgeries but no need to insult a guy asking for an opinion... would be a different story if it were on BST.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I just happened across these two very tough signed HOF autographs, on cards no less, but don’t know where they came from? These are worth a lot of money if authentic. All I’m saying is that if you are looking for an opinion, ask for it. There is no way these were just hidden away in some 800 ct box and happened across. That’s the equivalent of saying oh I forgot about this couple thousand dollars and don’t know where it came from.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Jeff

I guess it's arguable about whether these are very tough autographs, certainly tougher on cards, particularly Bottomley. The post is not necessarily false just because you don't believe it. As someone who has collected over 40 years and rarely gotten rid of anything, I have no idea what all I have and yes I may have forgotten about something that may not have been hyper valuable when I acquired it and I still have. Not saying it's true just certainly not impossible.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-25-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Jeff

For comparison, hope this helps.
For the record I agree with the opinions offered above.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-25-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Michael

He didn't say he forgot he had them. just said he forgot where and when he got them. I can say that about alot of my collection since I do not keep records
Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
He didn't say he forgot he had them. just said he forgot where and when he got them. I can say that about alot of my collection since I do not keep records
You're right.

Me too. I didn't start keeping records until the late 90's on what, when and how much.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I'm inclined to agree with your conclusions.

I have been collecting autographs since the 1970s, and I bought autographs from many of the best known sellers in the business. Many of the older HOF and older deceased player autographs in my collection were purchased many years ago when the business was based solely on the seller's knowledge, trust and reputation. There were no TPAs, no internet, no reference books on baseball autographs. You trusted your seller, so keeping detailed records on what you got from whom, when, and how much you paid was unnecessary unless you had a good reason to keep it. I am now looking at older, tougher autographs in my collection to determine if they are good and if I should submit them to a TPA. I appreciate the help and opinions of the members of this board.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default Check PSA exemplars

There are examples of Ott's signature all over the PSA autograph site. One example is a straight sig on a card, and it is not far off from the one you have. I cannot say yours is good or not, but the PSA example is available for more detailed comparison. I would not be so quick to dismiss yours as fake.

https://www.psacard.com/autographfac...all/mel-ott/37