NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-21-2018, 06:55 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
The t205 images really are incredible. Thompson had serious skill.
Paul Thompson was not a photographer; he was a businessman who ran a large photo agency. None of the images attributed to Thompson were actually taken by him. The images used to make the T205 set were probably taken by a dozen or more different photographers shooting on assignment.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphere and ash View Post
Paul Thompson was not a photographer; he was a businessman who ran a large photo agency. None of the images attributed to Thompson were actually taken by him. The images used to make the T205 set were probably taken by a dozen or more different photographers shooting on assignment.
There is a post in this thread that says something similar; however, no reference to where he got his information: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=88365
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Can you please share your exact reference for this?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-21-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post

Surprisingly, there is very little info out there on Paul Thompson, though it is known he ran a news photo service. I’m under the impression he was the actual photographer for at least some of the T205 images, as referenced in this 2009 Smithsonian article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...j2D9YY0Ue7z.99

Quote:
The gold borders sported another enhancement—portraits based on a remarkable series of contemplative close-ups by a New York City-based freelance photographer named Paul Thompson. Thompson, who built his reputation and his studio on a sitting with Mark Twain, would hire others to take pictures for him, but the gold-border portraits are attributed to him because they alone are copyrighted under his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Andy H.

Quote:
T205 image

I'm a little late to the party but this photo is awesome. You can actually see the photographer standing in front of Meyers in the reflection in his pupils. That's cool.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I'm a little late to the party but this photo is awesome. You can actually see the photographer standing in front of Meyers in the reflection in his pupils. That's cool.

For sure! This is actually the case with many of the portraits. Neat stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 AM

Default Thompson

Quote:
I heard the same thing a few years ago but heard it was Bainthat had many photographers working for his service. I find it difficult to believe that several/many peoples all worked for the same company and all the images look and feel the same way? If you look at all the Paul Thompson photos, they all have the same feel and look. How could have several people all manage that? This also goes for Bain as well? Just curious

Last edited by bobfreedman; 07-22-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:01 AM

Bob, I once had your new Thompson Joe Wood image, along with a corresponding image of Mathewson with a bat, almost as if taken together.
On The Who was the photographer question I can’t add actual facts or citations, but I can say that as a collector of both Bain and Thompson images in the 80’s and 90’s, before the current craze, all the collectors I knew accepted that the photos were taken by various photographers working for a larger agency. Also I think you can notice quite a difference in some of the Thompson’s which can sometimes be just out of focus. For what it is worth, the early feeling amoung collectors ranked Thompson behind Bain and Conlan in value. All three were of the highest order. There was a show of their work just after the famous Baseball Magazine sale, in New York I believe, but I no longer have my photos or material.
Finally, if Sphere and Ash is who I think he is, he used to possess one of the 3 greatest photo collections I have ever seen and was considered one of the most knowledgeable collectors of the time, who was very helpful to a fellow collector with a small budget.
At the risk of sounding like an Old Timer, which I quess I am, this was all taking place when you could get 100’s of these photos at one time. We would sometimes hold drafts of collections we had purchased, with later trades etc.
the collections that I know are still out there are truly amazing.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 AM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Quote:
Many years ago, I found an obituary for Thompson that stated directly that he was not a photographer. I can't find it at the moment, but I do see obituaries that state that he was a writer who saw the business opportunity and founded the photo agency a few years after graduating from Yale [Thompson died in 1940]. There is no contemporary source that states that Thompson was a photographer, which would be quite odd for someone whose name was so widely published.

If you look at the T205 images, you'll see that each city has its own distinct look, supporting the conjecture that each city was taken by a different photographer. The Philadelphia A's photographer, for example, has many of his subjects look away from the camera; the New York Giants' photographer has everyone stare directly into the lens.

Bain was trained as a wet plate photographer, but he was no longer a photojournalist by the time the Bain agency was active.

Thanks, bgar3. I've been following your posts about your Red Stocking and early baseball collection. Glad you're back.

Last edited by sphere and ash; 07-22-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Bob, I once had your new Thompson Joe Wood image, along with a corresponding image of Mathewson with a bat, almost as if taken together.
On The Who was the photographer question I can’t add actual facts or citations, but I can say that as a collector of both Bain and Thompson images in the 80’s and 90’s, before the current craze, all the collectors I knew accepted that the photos were taken by various photographers working for a larger agency. Also I think you can notice quite a difference in some of the Thompson’s which can sometimes be just out of focus. For what it is worth, the early feeling amoung collectors ranked Thompson behind Bain and Conlan in value. All three were of the highest order. There was a show of their work just after the famous Baseball Magazine sale, in New York I believe, but I no longer have my photos or material.
Finally, if Sphere and Ash is who I think he is, he used to possess one of the 3 greatest photo collections I have ever seen and was considered one of the most knowledgeable collectors of the time, who was very helpful to a fellow collector with a small budget.
At the risk of sounding like an Old Timer, which I quess I am, this was all taking place when you could get 100’s of these photos at one time. We would sometimes hold drafts of collections we had purchased, with later trades etc.
the collections that I know are still out there are truly amazing.
Recent craze? Paul Thompson has been getting higher prices(particular in ruth) for a long while now. For good reason, they are beautiful images. Some of them rivaled by no one.
To say Paul Thompson was in no way a photographer and that he took zero photos ever, is just not factual. There is no way of knowing this and the library of Congress disagrees.
Even with a 1940 obit saying something, it was probably written by someone born in the 1800s. Photography was not a glamorous job. Talking in absolutes when absolutes aren’t known, or can never be proven seems odd to me. My guess is neither of you have Paul Thompson centric collections :-)
In my opinion, Paul Thompson credited photos are some of the greatest shots in baseball history. Some are perfect some are less than perfect just like Conlon, Bain, Van Oeyen etc..
I enjoy Some more than others but appreciate all of them.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-22-2018 at 09:13 AM.