NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Am I nuts to consider this?

I'm sitting here this afternoon, waiting for a baseball card to arrive (one I'm very excited about), and I'm looking at my T202 cards, my T206 cards, and my '33 and '34 Goudeys. And I just feel like I'm nine years old all over again. For a few minutes, anyway, nothing is hurting, because I flash back to sitting up in my friend Carl Zach's bedroom, him pulling out his shoe box of late 70s Milwaukee Brewer baseball cards. Long before third party graders, and looking at baseball cards under electron microscopes.

I really love these things. They make me smile.

Then, I look over to the box with the majority of my Bowman Chrome prospect autos, which range from 2005 to 2014. Don't get me wrong, I love them, too. I subscribe to Baseball America, MLB.tv and MILB.com. I watch the stars of tomorrow progress through high school and college. I wonder where they will get drafted, and by who. The whole prospecting thing is fun, especially when I'm right. And I'm right far more often than I'm wrong. That also helps me with my fantasy baseball league.

If I decided to sell my Bowman Chrome prospect set, I could go a little nuts buying more pre-war and vintage cards. There would be fewer cards to store, or lug around. Fewer cards to worry about updating for insurance purposes.

Am I nuts to consider doing this? I know that these modern cards could go down in value. A lot of them. Do I cash out on them now, or do I not worry about how valuable they are, and keep them because they smile.

I don't know if the Bowman Chrome auto cards would make me smile more or less than the pre-war and vintage cards.

Help me decide this please!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Jay Shelton

If you would gain great pleasure in new vintage cards than modern, then by all means sell. You'll still have the memories of the cards you sell.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Sell them. Modern cards are for kids.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Hey Bill. I recently had the same dilemma. One of the reasons I got back into the hobby a few years ago was to try my hand at "prospecting". Same as you, I pay attention for dynasty fantasy leagues. I also love history and when I collected as a kid, I was always in awe at card shows when I'd see the pre-war pioneers and vintage cards of players my dad told stories about. So, I also decided to collect pre-war and vintage since I could somewhat afford those cards that I was awe-struck with growing up. Of course, that led me to this site and my interest dwindled in the modern stuff.

About six moths ago I sold most of my higher-end autos and refractors in one large lot. I do not regret it one bit! I re-invested most into my pre-war/vintage collection. Like you, I was right more often than not when prospecting. However, even when I was right, there are always cases like Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez (and don't get me started on PED guys like your boy Braun) that would make me sick to my stomach.

My recommendation would be to sell. I decided to keep all my modern Pirates/Steelers and Topps All-Star rookie cards (the ones with the trophy icons since I collect those from the 60's and up). Maybe you could do something similar - sell everything but your Brewers and then to keep up with the new releases, purchase just Brewer cards from time to time.

Good luck with your decision.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***
Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Daryl

I think you already know the answer Bill, and you're looking for support.

Asking a prewar baseball card board if you should sell your modern cards to buy more prewar cards is like asking the owner of a steakhouse if you should go out for pizza.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Bill, I've always wondered why you spend money on shiny cards.

It's fools gold and I have stacks of former future HoFer rookie cards as my evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Cain J.

Sell the new stuff to fund the vintage cards you want. Not only will they hold more value they are much more fun to collect.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM
bR@dY ThuRsT0N

What a great question....although I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer. I purchased a few Zeenuts featuring 'Sloppy Thurston' last year. My only interest was that we share the same last name. I quickly fell in love with the Zeenuts in general and that set me towards purchasing my first T206, E120/E122/E90. I was now hooked on vintage collecting. I digress.....I've only recently (three/four years) began to get back into collecting baseball cards in general, albeit all modern. I've began to sell anything and everything modern that I own. I was also a 'prospector' and still enjoy reading up on the youngsters and forming an opinion...but not while investing in their IMO over-priced cards. I have never regretted unloading my modern cards, not in the least. I was tired of spending 1200 on a BC jumbo case only to pull a few decent prospects, a ton of no-name prospects and basically losing a ton of money. I'd rather buy vintage singles that I enjoy looking at and rarely lose any value.
Apologies for the long-winded response but it really hit home for me.

Last edited by team-of-rivals; 05-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Forget about era, investment, etc. The question I asked myself was why am I doing this? The answer was because it was a way of recollecting what I felt like during the happiest time of my life, as a boy following sports of the time and collecting cards. That instantly refocused my attention to acquiring as many of the iconic cards of my childhood as I could afford and getting them into my albums just like I did when I was a kid. All of the slabs, the high grade stuff, modern cards, etc., instantly out of the picture. I also went back to my childhood heroes for collecting inspiration and started career-contemporary player collections for Aaron and Koufax and Ryan. My childhood heroes. Being an adult fan just isn't the same. Even the cards of the players I regard most highly in the modern era--Jeter, Paul O'Neill, Mariano Rivera, Clayton Kershaw, etc.--pale in comparison to my boyhood heroes. Because they were boyhood heroes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Sell, Mortimer, Sell!
Old 05-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Once upon a time I hoarded Joe Charboneau rookies -- He Can't Miss!!

Enjoy watching the stars of today play on tv, but sell the shiny cards.

Andy
Old 05-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I'd sell most of it and invest more in pre-war. You can always pluck out the some of your favorites for the long haul if you just don't feel right selling them right now.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

a couple of years ago, while i was on Beckett...i traded a bunch of my modern cards for some or what looked vintage. Basically gave the shit away who wanted it more.
People there were team collectors, so i threw in a ton of Cowboys cards, didnt care who.
Threw in a ton of Emmitt Smiths, Romos and etc.
As long someone would enjoy them more than i did. I still got a ton of the modern crap left, I know i got the A&G stuff, i guess everyone kept the Erin Andrews/Kate Uptons.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Luke Lyon

Do whatever makes you happy. I would sell them. But I'm not you and what I would do wouldn't necessarily make you happy. I wouldn't have put money into modern stuff in the first place because I can't imagine it holding value. I remember seeing a Mile Zunino autographed rookie card at a shop for an insane price, and thinking, "even if he lives up to his potential (Jason Varitek or thereabouts) who is going to pay this same price in 20 years when his good but not great career is over? That said, I just collect vintage because I like it and it makes me happy. The fact that vintage holds it value is nice, but it's not why we collect. I would throw all this money in the stock market if my cards didn't make me happy.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Al Richter

Default Collecting

I have collected Topps sets from 1948 to 2014 and Fleer from 1923, and 1959 to 2007. I don't care what other people collect ( though I like hearing about and seeing their collections), and don't care what other people think I should collect. You should know best for yourself what you want to collect and why.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Sell. But if you have any Michael Wachas, sell those to me.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM
qualitycards

Al, well said!
Buy what you like & what you can afford!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

In the immortal words of Hal Lewis, collect what you like.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Alex

If you are speculating and hoping to make money off the Bowman then you may want to keep them. However, if you are just keeping them out of sense of being "the right thing" then I say dump them.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Mike

Once I committed to Pre-War, I quickly determined that it is true what they say. You CANNOT serve two masters. I was nudged to sell my Post -War stuff by a pending job crunch (which I wound up avoiding) and was able to pay a bill or two, save a decent chunk (to calm the wife) and have been able to attack the Monster full bore. I also have been able to dabble in other sets such as T212-2, T212-3 (I decided to skip the Olde English), The T207 and T210 (staying with the lower Series for now), the Mecca Double Folds and even a few M116 and M101-4/5. If I was still chasing 50s/60s Topps and Bowman as well, I would be scuffling to get anywhere.

Bill, there is only one way to go.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Do what ever makes you smile
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Barry Arnold

Default bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I think you already know the answer Bill, and you're looking for support.

Asking a prewar baseball card board if you should sell your modern cards to buy more prewar cards is like asking the owner of a steakhouse if you should go out for pizza.
I can't say it any better than this so I won't even try.

all the best in your decision,

barry
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Larry

I've been doing this for about 25 years, and if you're concerned with value at all, SELL!!!!!!!!!! There is more than ample evidence that the value curve for current players (even those who do pan out, and become some of the greatest of all time--see Griffey, Jr.; Frank Thomas) peaks quite early, and is propped up largely by speculative and transient demand. As it used to be said by those in the know in the hobby, what is hot WILL become cold! Their real value will not be known until they are at least in their '30's and well into their downslide. If they do pan out, that will be the BEGINNING of the time to buy them, since the cards of some new, red hot phenoms will be the ones to have. I remember when a gold refractor Joe Mauer rookie was nearly $2,000--obviously he was well on his way to becoming the greatest catcher of all time (lol). If anybody still wants it in ten years, they should be able to pick it up for around a fortieth of that! I also remember when Adam Dunn's refractor rookie was really hot stuff--I don't know the prices now, but it had only one direction to go in. And $2500 now for a gold refractor Trout??? If he becomes everything he might be, your grandchildren will be able to get it for far less than that. Cards of the best current players, even the toughest ones, are for flipping--buy low when you can, and cash out quick!

Keep them only if you like them so much that a huge percentage loss in value won't be any cause for concern.

Best of luck,

Larry
Old 05-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Alex

I used to collect Zack Greinke. His gold refractor sold for over $300 the year after he was drafted. He has since went on to become a star and the card has called in value. Don't speculate on current guys.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Isaac Lane

Default Net 54 Socrates..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Do what ever makes you smile
Great advice!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 AM
Bill Gregory

Some great input, guys. Thank you.

I'm still torn, though. I know that the value of many of these cards will go down. But, I also know that these cards were hand selected to meet my card requirements. There are a few where the centering is a little bit off one way or another. But the quality of these cards is really high. And I don't know if I want to sell them, and have to buy most of them again later.

Would I be able to get quality anywhere near where they were before?

That's pretty indicative of the ungraded Chrome autos I have.

Not only would selling them be a pain, but getting all these cards packaged up....ugh.

I could sell them, and pick up a really nice Routh Goudey, or the Gehrig Goudey, a Clemente '55 Topps rookie and a T206 Cobb bat off.

Decisions, decisions...

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-21-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Sell. But if you have any Michael Wachas, sell those to me.
I only have the one, Rich. But he is a beauty/

Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Trey

I got rid of all my modern cards about a year and a half ago, traded most for a Mantle RC and sold the rest. I have never regretted the decision, however here are a few of my observations on the negative side. (For me, the positive outweighs these negatives)

1. I can no longer hold my own in a conversation with my prospecting friends

2. Opening a pack/box of cards has no appeal, and I do miss the appeal of
opening the occasional box/pack

3. Card shows are very different. The number of deals you make, the number of
cards you see that you want and can also afford/trade for is greatly
decreased. It's far more difficult to trade with vintage dealers (IMO) than
modern dealers. I've found shows to be very different as a vintage collector
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Larry

It sounds like you're really attached, Bill, regardless of future value. If that's the case, keep them--I still regret auctioning off my Exhibit Gehrig rookie, M101 Sisler rookie, '34 Goudey PSA 8 Greenburg, '38 Goudey PSA 7 DiMaggio, and '59 Bazooka SGC NMT Mantle a few years ago, even though it was financially necessary at that time (not to mention my very first Corvette, a white '73 454 that I purchased shortly after graduating from law school). Joy doesn't have to make the best financial sense!

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-21-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Dave

Sell the shiney stuff. They will just make more.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Luis

Bill,
Those are some nice cards, but picture them next to a PSA 4 or 5 T206 Johnson portrait.

Good luck. You will find the right path for you!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Rich v@n He$$

That's awesome Bill!

Im ready to supply my address at a moments notice.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Sean Costello

Hey Bill, I know our situations are not the same, but here goes:
I started collecting cards in 1965. Years later I decided to collect that set again, along with T206s. I've nearly completed re-creating that first set. I know that if I sold it I could buy another Uzit, or upgrade a Cobb, but that old set means too much to me to get rid of it.
When I look at them I can still remember opening packs, hoping for a Mays, Mantle or Koufax. And somehow every pack seemed to contain another Gary Bell.

Anyway, if you get the same enjoyment from your modern cards, I recommend keeping them. But if it's about money, sell them and get a nice Ruth or whatever.

And let us know what you decide.

Last edited by Sean; 05-22-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
I got rid of all my modern cards about a year and a half ago, traded most for a Mantle RC and sold the rest. I have never regretted the decision, however here are a few of my observations on the negative side. (For me, the positive outweighs these negatives)

1. I can no longer hold my own in a conversation with my prospecting friends

2. Opening a pack/box of cards has no appeal, and I do miss the appeal of
opening the occasional box/pack

3. Card shows are very different. The number of deals you make, the number of
cards you see that you want and can also afford/trade for is greatly
decreased. It's far more difficult to trade with vintage dealers (IMO) than
modern dealers. I've found shows to be very different as a vintage collector
Hi Trey,

Whatever I end up doing with my modern collection, I'll still keep up with prospecting. It's part of the game I enjoy. I love watching minor league games whenever I get a chance on MILB.com. The Frisco RoughRiders, the Class AA team for the Texas Rangers, are only about a 15 minute drive from where I live. With my leg doing better, I might be able to attend a game soon provided one of my buddies will drive. Plus, I plan on still investing in some Chrome prospect autos for resale. I've developed a pretty good feel for it, and if I can buy some, and make a modest profit, that's more I can invest in my pre-war and vintage collection! Win win!!

And as far as card shows go, I hope to be able to start attending some of them, too. I know Rich does vintage shows in Plano. I'd love to meet some of my fellow Net54 members in person, and take a look at some of the beautiful cards I see online in person for a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
It sounds like you're really attached, Bill, regardless of future value. If that's the case, keep them--I still regret auctioning off my Exhibit Gehrig rookie, M101 Sisler rookie, '34 Goudey PSA 8 Greenburg, '38 Goudey PSA 7 DiMaggio, and '59 Bazooka SGC NMT Mantle a few years ago, even though it was financially necessary at that time (not to mention my very first Corvette, a white '73 454 that I purchased shortly after graduating from law school). Joy doesn't have to make the best financial sense!

Highest regards,

Larry
Good evening, Larry,

I really do love these cards. Each represents a happy memory. I usually buy a prospect card after watching a minor league game, or after doing some research. Others, still, I've acquired after nice discussions with friends of mine on other forums. The cards themselves are beautiful. They don't have the same kind of charm that a pre-1900s card, or a '34 Goudey card have, but they're incredible in their own way. I'll be uploading my collection to the photo gallery here pretty soon.

I'm leaning towards keeping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgarza99 View Post
Bill,
Those are some nice cards, but picture them next to a PSA 4 or 5 T206 Johnson portrait.

Good luck. You will find the right path for you!
Hello, Luis. I picked up my Walter Johnson portrait a few days ago. It's on the May pick up thread. It's a real beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
That's awesome Bill!

Im ready to supply my address at a moments notice.
Hi Rich. I bought that card two days after it went on sale for the first time. He's turned out to be a hell of a pitcher, hasn't he? Let's hope he stays healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hey Bill, I know our situations are not the same, but here goes:
I started collecting cards in 1965. Years later I decided to collect that set again, along with T206s. I've nearly completed re-creating that first set. I know that if I sold it I could buy another Uzit, or upgrade a Cobb, but that old set means too much to me to get rid of it.
When I look at them I can still remember opening packs, hoping for a Mays, Mantle or Koufax. And somehow every pack seemed to contain another Gary Bell.

Anyway, if you get the same enjoyment from your modern cards, I recommend keeping them. But if it's about money, sell them and get a nice Ruth or whatever.

And let us know what you decide.
Hi, Sean. You know, for just a little while, I was leaning towards selling them. The thought of knocking a few cards off of my long term want list sounded really great, but then I'd miss the cards that represent the period during which I came back to the hobby.

I really don't have any need to sell them. I understand that a good deal of these will go down in value, but that's ok with me. I'll get the older cards I want. It just takes discipline on my part. And in the mean time, I'll get to enjoy these incredible cards.

As I mentioned a little earlier, I'm going to scan them, and upload them here. I'd like to share my collection with the members here. It's definitely quite different than everybody else's, and it will be for a while as I build my pre-war and vintage collection. But I think people will appreciate what I've been doing once they see them.