NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Default Who will encapsulate signed pieces with JSA loa?

Anyone tried this recently? SGC used to do this for a fee if you had a full JSA loa, but i'm not sure anymore since they opened their own auth dept?

If no one knows for sure I'll give them a call on Monday

Last edited by chaddurbin; 04-12-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I am pretty sure they use Beckett right now, but they are trying to work something out for their own encapsulation process in the near future. Not sure when they cut ties with SGC
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM
qu@n nguy3n

ahh thank you. i think the head of Beckett grading is a member here, i'll drop him an email. thanks.

I changed the title to reflect that SGC might not do this anymore.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 04-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Richard Simon

Chad - I have never seen any authentication service state that the encapsulation tomb is acid free.
Am I wrong here?
If the plastic tomb is not acid free I would be concerned about wrapping a plastic tomb, non acid free, around my autograph.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I've never heard that either, and would also be curious to know if they have UV filtering also.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Richard Simon

This is only a guess but it would not surprise me if it is just a cheap piece of plastic and certainly not with a UV filter Mike. I would think that if it was acid free and UV filtering they would have let the hobby know.
If I am correct then you are putting your pieces into acidic crap and down the road (it does take time) you will see results that will make you very unhappy.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-12-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
This is only a guess but it would not surprise me if it is just a cheap piece of plastic and certainly not with a UV filter Mike. I would think that if it was acid free and UV filtering they would have let the hobby know.
If I am correct then you are putting your pieces into acidic crap and down the road (it does take time) you will see results that will make you very unhappy.
It doesn't take long for non-paper-friendly material to create visible negative results on your paper items.

I recently acquired an Ed Reulbach hand-written letter that was framed with a photo that someone had bought from the HOF, so I doubt it was more than 15-20 years old. The entire thing was matted and framed. When I removed it, the letter had the acid results all around it where the matt had been against it.

Even if the plastic doesn't effect the piece, I still remove them quickly - I prefer my items smelling like old paper, as opposed to fresh plastic chemicals.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM
qu@n nguy3n

from reading the various boards, the consensus seems to be beckett has the uv filter, while psa and sgc may not. i also get the impression the penny sleeve that beckett uses is acid-free. this would make sense as beckett is the undisputed king of modern cards and they slab alot of the cards from topps/ud/bowman etc that have the certified autograph.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 04-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Haven't looked into the others, but I did do a quick scan of SGC's site, and found statements that the flip insert and the black framing insert were both acid free. I did not see any explicit statements that the plastic holder itself was acid free. That of course doesn't mean that it isn't, but it does seem odd to specifically state that the other materials in there are acid free but not say anything about the case itself if it too is acid free.

As I said, I haven't looked at the others, but I do find it surprising that any of these companies would either 1) use acid free materials and not have a big bold explicit statement to that effect or 2) skimp on the cost and not use acid free materials. Every collecting supply that I have purchased for paper collectibles in recent memory have all had some statement to the effect of "certified acid free". We can debate what that means exactly (acid free at the time of manufacture, truly inert, etc), but the bottom line is that all of the major manufacturers of these supplies recognize that being "acid free" is a major concern for collectors, particularly where paper is involved. To just gloss over (or, perish the thought, skimp on) that part of your product seems negligent to me. Just sayin'.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Joe M.

I would say frames from a reputable framing company with acid free would be a better choice.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Richard Simon

The mat that is used should be acid free so the glass does not touch the piece.
I don't think there is acid free glass.
--
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Wayne Walker

Doesn't JSA slab these themselves?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Doesn't JSA slab these themselves?
I am not certain but I don't think so.
--
Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Default acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It doesn't take long for non-paper-friendly material to create visible negative results on your paper items.

I recently acquired an Ed Reulbach hand-written letter that was framed with a photo that someone had bought from the HOF, so I doubt it was more than 15-20 years old. The entire thing was matted and framed. When I removed it, the letter had the acid results all around it where the matt had been against it.

Even if the plastic doesn't effect the piece, I still remove them quickly - I prefer my items smelling like old paper, as opposed to fresh plastic chemicals.
Any pics of the damage. I find this topic fascinating.