NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Are you employed by PSA?
lol, you beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
From your diplomatic posts I never would have guessed how you felt.
I always try and straddle the issue...
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
If you have a recall on a vehicle or basically any other product, don't you typically take it back to the place where you bought it? I mean, I don't see cars lined up at the actual plant looking to get fixed. Might be a stretch, but kind of how I see it.
No. Not always. I own a Nissan Titan. I bought it used from Ford franchise dealership. When my Titan did have a recall, I didn't take it back to the Ford dealership, I took it to the Nissan dealership. The warranty it through Nissan, not Ford.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
That's because the dealer is designated by the warranty to take the return. The dealer is a representative of the manufacturer. The PSA guarantee does not say anything about gong to the seller first or designate the seller as an agent.
Yeah, I get that...kind of an apples to oranges thing. While I do agree the liability falls back on PSA, I would attempt to get my money back from the person that sold it to me. This isn't with just in regards to this situation, just my general opinion. "You sold me a piece of crap, you take the time to deal with it.... return my money now". I don't care what the item was, whoever sold it to me should take their time and money to have to return the item.
As noted before, I think this will possibly their stance.
1. Return the item to the person that sold it to you for a refund.
2. That person(PWCC) can try to return in to PSA under the guarantee.
3. They get denied for violating the terms and conditions by submitting knowingly altered items.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
Yeah, I get that...kind of an apples to oranges thing. While I do agree the liability falls back on PSA, I would attempt to get my money back from the person that sold it to me. This isn't with just in regards to this situation, just my general opinion. "You sold me a piece of crap, you take the time to deal with it.... return my money now". I don't care what the item was, whoever sold it to me should take their time and money to have to return the item.
As noted before, I think this will possibly their stance.
1. Return the item to the person that sold it to you for a refund.
2. That person(PWCC) can try to return in to PSA under the guarantee.
3. They get denied for violating the terms and conditions by submitting knowingly altered items.
What if you now discover a card on the list you bought 5 years ago? Not fair to go back to the seller IMO. Sellers who are innocent are entitled to repose at some point, I would think much sooner than that. It's PSA's eff-up if something is wrong, not the seller, IMO, unless the seller was complicit.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

I think rather than taking $10 to crossover cards SGC should be offering to independently look at any cards and give their professional opinion as to whether the card has been altered. If it hasn’t they can crossover and if it has then the owner can go to PSA for recourse.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I think rather than taking $10 to crossover cards SGC should be offering to independently look at any cards and give their professional opinion as to whether the card has been altered. If it hasn’t they can crossover and if it has then the owner can go to PSA for recourse.
Isn't an authenticity review implicit here?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
You would think it is but I know I would pay a nice sum to have someone take a professional and unbiased look at my overpriced cardboard without necessarily being forced to cross them over.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

Quote:
Upcharges ONLY apply if the card "crosses" to the designated minimum grade or higher (we will always call for approval for any upcharge necessary).

sounds like $10 gets you a review, and if it meets your minimum grade or higher for crossover, you pay a little more? The regular grading fee?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You would think it is but I know I would pay a nice sum to have someone take a professional and unbiased look at my overpriced cardboard without necessarily being forced to cross them over.
Ah got it. Well, it's a good idea, I would convey it to SGC. One issue though is any in slab review is limited in its ability to see the edges. In fact I often question how the TPGs really can do cross-overs properly with the cards in slabs.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and although I don't agree, I do respect it. People collect for different reasons... some for profit, and others for the love of the hobby. I suppose I'm one of the voices for the latter.

Not part of a mob... just someone who does not want to see the collectors get burned. PSA/Sloan's Letter directly states that the affected collectors should go to the SELLER (not PSA) for refunds. PWCC has already demonstrated that they intend to make this process very cumbersome and difficult. And thus, it is the collector who is screwed.

So while we are apparently miles apart on this, we can still have a good conversation. I don't want to see Collectors take the hit for this, and do want PSA to live up to its long-stated guarantee. Otherwise, it's all just meaningless lip service.

I don’t think we are miles apart at all. We both want integrity. Neither of us want to see innocent collectors take a hit on this. But innocent collectors could take a hit in a number of ways. Beyond the affected cards themselves, the whole hobby could take a major hit if psa’s credibility were undeservedly and excessively undermined. Driving PSA into financial instability or insolvency could also cause a hit to innocent collectors.

I read Steve Sloan’s statement and I see a corporate executive trying to leverage what resources he has to protect the company during the early stage of a potential problem. This thing has a long way to go and could play out in many unexpected ways. Unless they have fools as attorneys I can’t believe that PSA would do anything with respect to their guarantee that contradicts what is written in their guarantee.

PWCC has admitted some responsibility for the current situation and has made a public statement saying they will do all that they can to make things right. It is not unreasonable for PSA to try and use that to their advantage, especially if PWCC is actually mixed up directly in it.

I see nothing in the PSA statement that says they won’t do a guarantee review if one is requested. And I think there are plenty of times in all of our lives that we’ve purchased something that had an issue and our first call was tonthe party we purchased it from, not immediately to the party that provides the warrantee.

Within the above contexts Sloan’s statement does not strike me as so far out of the norm.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Ah got it. Well, it's a good idea, I would convey it to SGC. One issue though is any in slab review is limited in its ability to see the edges. In fact I often question how the TPGs really can do cross-overs properly with the cards in slabs.
I think after we see what has gone on here they use the word “properly” very loosely.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

How many years later is it legitimate to go back to an innocent seller?

What is an "unknown" seller and why did Sloan limit the guarantee to that?

I think you are being too kind here. Way too kind. Sloan should be manning up not looking to say we're your court of last resort.

THEY graded the cards not the sellers.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM
John Startleman

I find both PSA's and PWCC's responses to this situation pathetic and ill-advised. If they want to regain trust in their brands, they should ONLY be responsive, helpful and proactive. They are being deflective and standoffish. Bad business.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 06-05-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Old established problem, but suddenly it's now a crisis?

I've been on a hiatus of sorts for the past four years or so, but just happened to look at the message board for old time sake and noticed the proliferation of threads regarding altered PSA cards. Needless to say, it should have not come as a surprise to me. Why it now seems like a scandal is perplexing.

I thought the issue of a substantial amount of altered cards being systematically slabbed and graded by PSA is old news going back at least 10 years. Was it just skepticism in the past and now it's an irrefutable crisis? What am I missing?

As for PSA's response regarding altered cards, based on my past experience, one should be cynical regarding PSA's disturbing history of dealing with the problem.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 06-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
I find both PSA's and PWCC's responses to this situation pathetic and ill-advised. If they want to regain trust in their brands, they should ONLY be responsive, helpful and proactive. They are being deflective and standoffish. Bad business.
No argument here. I don't see anyone defending PWCC at this point, and I truly do not understand the defense of PSA's statement pushing burden back on to the collector, minimizing the issue, and disowning the full scope of the guarantee. I get it of course from a corporate standpoint. Not an ethical one.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
I've been on a hiatus of sorts for the past four years or so, but just happened to look at the message board for old time sake and noticed the proliferation of threads regarding altered PSA cards. Needless to say, it should have not come as a surprise to me. Why it now seems like a scandal is perplexing.

I thought the issue of a substantial amount of altered cards being systematically slabbed and graded by PSA is old news going back at least 10 years. Was it just skepticism in the past and now it's an irrefutable crisis? What am I missing?

As for PSA's response regarding altered cards, based on my past experience, one should be cynical regarding PSA's disturbing history of dealing with the problem.
Who cares. It's happening now. The past does not define the present.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Holy sheet is that really you? How are you my friend?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:10 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
You cant properly examine a card in a slab.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:11 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
No argument here. I don't see anyone defending PWCC at this point, and I truly do not understand the defense of PSA's statement pushing burden back on to the collector, minimizing the issue, and disowning the full scope of the guarantee. I get it of course from a corporate standpoint. Not an ethical one.
Honestly, I don't even get it from a corporate standpoint. From a business standpoint, it makes zero sense to continue to damage your reputation with those who supply your profits. A smart business decision would be to immediately bite the bullet to regain consumer confidence. They aren't thinking long term, and that is bad business and shows me those in charge over there aren't very bright. If I had stock in PSA, it would be gone before it gets much worse. PWCC is signing their own death warrant. Even if getting through this costs them a couple million, it would benefit them greatly to be proactive and helpful. But they are clearly digging in, and that is bad news for anyone with stock or with investments in their graded cards.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 06-05-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Holy sheet is that really you? How are you my friend?
No major complaints here Peter. Just enjoying life outside of baseball cards.

I'm glad to see you're still here fighting for truth, justice and the American way.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No major complaints here Peter. Just enjoying life outside of baseball cards.

I'm glad to see you're still here fighting for truth, justice and the American way.
89 degrees uphill I am afraid.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Honestly, I don't even get it from a corporate standpoint. From a business standpoint, it makes zero sense to continue to damage your reputation with those who supply your profits. A smart business decision would be to immediately bite the bullet to regain consumer confidence. They aren't thinking long term, and that is bad business and shows me those in charge over there aren't very bright. If I had stock in PSA, it would be gone before it gets much worse. PWCC is signing their own death warrant. Even if getting through this costs them a couple million, it would benefit them greatly to be proactive and helpful. But they are clearly digging in, and that is bad news for anyone with stock or with investments in their graded cards.
I think their experience tells them all scandals blow over so preserve the bottom line.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
I think their experience tells them all scandals blow over so preserve the bottom line.
Well then I hope it backfires on them.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Scott Levy

Quote:
Does anyone in this hobby have any integrity? I mean among the major players. Or are they all corrupted by money?
I vote for REA. I’ve never had a moment when I doubted they would do the right thing.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
You cant properly examine a card in a slab.
Of course not but so what. A partial second opinion is better than none here.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Who cares. It's happening now. The past does not define the present.
It should have been dealt with twelve years ago when I approached PSA Customer Service about the problem and other times since and consequently more than likely tens of thousands of altered cards have been sold to unsuspecting collectors and the cards will exist longer than the collectors and just be repeatedly sold and bought with no knowledge of the alterations.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:32 PM
John Startleman

At this point, I would feel better with a TPG that ONLY slabs unaltered cards and does not do numerical grades. So their only focus is spotting fakes and alterations while using the best possible slabbing techniques and tech to keep cards safe. PSA and BGS are done, IMO. I love the BGS slabs, but they slab sheet cuts and can't spot alterations. I hate PSA slabs and they can't spot alterations. SGC slabs are ugly and flimsy. So now what?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:33 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
It should have been dealt with twelve years ago when I approached PSA Customer Service about the problem and other times since and consequently more than likely tens of thousands of altered cards have been sold to unsuspecting collectors and the cards will exist longer than the collectors and just be repeatedly sold and bought with no knowledge of the alterations.
Okay, but it wasn't. Should it be ignored now because it wasn't taken care of earlier.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
At this point, I would feel better with a TPG that ONLY slabs unaltered cards and does not do numerical grades. So their only focus is spotting fakes and alterations while using the best possible slabbing techniques and tech to keep cards safe. PSA and BGS are done, IMO. I love the BGS slabs, but they slab sheet cuts and can't spot alterations. I hate PSA slabs and they can't spot alterations. SGC slabs are ugly and flimsy. So now what?
You may have to bust wax, John.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Bob Davies

I've not posted much at all on this, but have certainly been active in reading as much as I can. Maybe that's because I have a job, and a second small business on the side (not card related).

What bothers me about going back to the seller is what happens if that seller bought the card from another seller earlier. Now is that seller supposed to go back to the last seller? And then so on? Not all sellers are the original graders.

Back to the car comparison, if you buy a used (and relatively new) car from someone, and that car has a recall, do you go back to the guy you bought it from? Of course not.

The whole premise of PSA's business model is to remove the doubt around the product they viewed.

For me right now, my buying habits have in fact simply stopped. Have been that way for about three weeks now. This makes me sick, and I'm not sure how much I want to continue at the moment. While I'm a small fish, this hurts all dealers, and I will guess am not alone at eliminating my purchases.

Further, this fall I have planned and booked a trip to New York, primarily around finally bringing a large amount of my collection into the PSA offices in NJ, or at the New York Comic Con. My wife and I are spending ten days in the city, but the destination for this vacation was predicated around getting some of my higher end stuff graded. While it may not be much to some collectors here, it is a lot for me. Included in the batch is a complete set of V145-1 hockey with a nice Morenz, Clancy, and Joliat RC's and a host of HOF'ers, some 52 Topps including Matthews and Mays, and dozens and dozens of other cards in the $100-$1000 range. It would cost me, I don't know, a couple of thousand to grade them, if not more? In any case, it is now off the radar. Not giving these guys four figures of cash for an "opinion" that cannot be backed up. I will, however, have an extra day or so in New York, and some extra cash.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 06-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Dan whatever became of our buddy Scottie Scissors?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
Failing miserably? On what evidence is that opinion based?

Some message board detectives seem to have shown evidence that possibly as many as 1000 cards have made it into PSA holders illegitimately. They’ve authenticated more than 30M items. THREE THOUSANDTHS OF ONE PERCENT is better than 99.99% right based on the evidence available so far.

While i too believe there is more to be uncovered I think it is premature, and potentially libelous, to make such a general sweeping statement before there is evidence to support it.

Let’s not get in front of our headlights.
Did you make that number up? Nobody is saying it’s possibly 1,000 cards. There were 950 cards in just 1 submission.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Did you make that number up? Nobody is saying it’s possibly 1,000 cards. There were 950 cards in just 1 submission.
I think he's playing the spin game of limiting it to ones with actual conclusive before and after photos. Whatever.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Excellent point... that "side view" is really obscured by the slab.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
I think he's playing the spin game of limiting it to ones with actual conclusive before and after photos. Whatever.
According to the link that was posted earlier in this thread there are about 350ish “verified” items that people bought for an aggregate of around $750k.

If you eyeball the list of alleged flip number ranges of suspected cards that is posted on BO the last time I checked it looked like there were on the order of 1000 items. I did say “so far”.

It’s early into this. Nobody knows how deep this rabbit hole goes. I also said I expect that the number would grow.

What you call spin I call letting it play out and in facts before rushing to judgment. Anyone who owns a significant number of PSA authenticated items has a vested interest in what ultimately comes out of this. I see no one questioning the person who posted that there were over 100,000 items about how he came up with that number.

I don’t understand the predominant need to try to hang PSA and significantly increase the damage to innocent collectors based on what we have learned so far.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Well, that was the sum of like 6 submissions. But there have been another 1000 just from Moser in the recent few years. The fact that Joe Orlando was quoted as knowing Moser was submitting bad cards 15 years ago and they did not ban his account is very telling.

You need to send a check or credit card in order to pay for the items, and who would vouch for Moser time and time again to cover his items or pay for his services? (Well Brent, but who else?)

They need to release all of his submitted cards, decertify them so that the website tells them to return them for a review under the grade guarantee, and then actually do their job a second time. If they have to crack the card to see the edges, no problem. They have the slabbing machines. No reason they shouldn't see the edges clearly and not have to worry about glare to detect reglossing/recoloring.

They need to post on the front page of the website their lukewarm initial answer to make their owners more aware of the issue. I did get an email response from Mr. Sloan today.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Dave K.leppel

That’s along the lines of the J&J approach that was used with the Tylenol issue years ago. It was the classic “right” way to handle a problem of this nature, although admittedly the consequences of that one were potentially life and death

It would be nice to have that kind of approach taken, but given what has been done in the past by PSA I doubt we will see anything near that. The more familiar “circle the wagons” approach is more typical from their playbook.

Last edited by 70ToppsFanatic; 06-05-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
That’s along the lines of the J&J approach that was used with the Tylenol issue years ago. It was the classic “right” way to handle a problem of this nature, although admittedly the consequences of that one were potentially life and death

It would be nice to have that kind of approach taken, but given what has been done in the past by PSA I doubt we will see anything near that. The more familiar “circle the wagons” approach is more typical from their playbook.
And handling cards with “razor sharp” corners is not potentially a life and death issue?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
LOL, I find it funny that the largest holder is a quant fund. That's what you get for straying from fundamental investing.
and so is the second...DFA

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:

Hi Dan,
Welcome back to the board. A lot of us knew 10-15 years ago that altered cards were getting slabbed, and at an alarming rate. I know that when I told collectors about it, they thought it was just some harebrained idea, so most of us didn't publicize it. Now it's out in the open, which is a good thing. Maybe it will finally be properly addressed (not guaranteed).
Old 06-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I've not posted much at all on this, but have certainly been active in reading as much as I can. Maybe that's because I have a job, and a second small business on the side (not card related).

What bothers me about going back to the seller is what happens if that seller bought the card from another seller earlier. Now is that seller supposed to go back to the last seller? And then so on? Not all sellers are the original graders.

Back to the car comparison, if you buy a used (and relatively new) car from someone, and that car has a recall, do you go back to the guy you bought it from? Of course not.

The whole premise of PSA's business model is to remove the doubt around the product they viewed.

For me right now, my buying habits have in fact simply stopped. Have been that way for about three weeks now. This makes me sick, and I'm not sure how much I want to continue at the moment. While I'm a small fish, this hurts all dealers, and I will guess am not alone at eliminating my purchases.

Further, this fall I have planned and booked a trip to New York, primarily around finally bringing a large amount of my collection into the PSA offices in NJ, or at the New York Comic Con. My wife and I are spending ten days in the city, but the destination for this vacation was predicated around getting some of my higher end stuff graded. While it may not be much to some collectors here, it is a lot for me. Included in the batch is a complete set of V145-1 hockey with a nice Morenz, Clancy, and Joliat RC's and a host of HOF'ers, some 52 Topps including Matthews and Mays, and dozens and dozens of other cards in the $100-$1000 range. It would cost me, I don't know, a couple of thousand to grade them, if not more? In any case, it is now off the radar. Not giving these guys four figures of cash for an "opinion" that cannot be backed up. I will, however, have an extra day or so in New York, and some extra cash.
You have a raw Paterson set? That’s awesome. Pics??

I would keep those beauties raw. I wish I had kept my set raw tbh
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
What if you now discover a card on the list you bought 5 years ago? Not fair to go back to the seller IMO. Sellers who are innocent are entitled to repose at some point, I would think much sooner than that. It's PSA's eff-up if something is wrong, not the seller, IMO, unless the seller was complicit.
That is pretty much the position I am in. I have a Moser card that I purchased through PWCC over two years ago.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
How many years later is it legitimate to go back to an innocent seller?

What is an "unknown" seller and why did Sloan limit the guarantee to that?

I think you are being too kind here. Way too kind. Sloan should be manning up not looking to say we're your court of last resort.

THEY graded the cards not the sellers.
I've seen a dealer take a return on an altered coin that was sold something more than 10 years earlier.
The "negotiation" of the return was very brief.
Hi, do you recall selling me this half dollar?
Yes, that was a while ago.
I sent it in before selling it, and it came back as altered
Oh, can I take a look?
Sure, I think the mintmark was added.
Well, you're right. It has been. I don't know how I missed it. What did you pay
I think it was $X
That sounds about right, is a check ok?

I still visit his shop, and that was in I think 87.
Of course, he wasn't the one doing the altering.

I also got a good look at the altered coin, especially the added mintmark. It was a neat learning experience for me, not such a good day for him. I think the coin went on the next trip to the smelter along with the rest of the junk silver.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can just imagine calling a big AH and saying I won a card from you 5 years ago that I would now like to return for a refund because I suspect it's altered. Or even better, a small ebay seller. The statement is obnoxious, in my view.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I can just imagine calling a big AH and saying I won a card from you 5 years ago that I would now like to return for a refund because I suspect it's altered. Or even better, a small ebay seller. The statement is obnoxious, in my view.
From what I've been given to understand, in both stamps and coins, the good dealers have an unstated lifetime warranty. I've never heard it said openly, but everyone I've talked about the business end with has told me that taking back mistakes, even if they're very old mistakes is just what's done.

When I was running the bicycle shop I do some work for, I essentially took the same view. I know my own work, and while we had a stated warranty of I think 90 days when I got a bike in that I'd worked on that wasn't really right, and that I could tell hadn't been ridden much in about 2 years, I fixed it free. New tires had been part of the original repair, and the little rubber bits from the mold venting hadn't even worn off.
Talk about a surprised and happy customer.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 PM
+0m J()rd@N

PSA is doing everything they can to:
  1. Limit their liability for their own mistakes
  2. Maintain their brand reputation as the preferred TPG
  3. Not have the hobby go the way of stamps
They are digging in and denying accountability. Maybe they are preparing for a run in politics.

That is all.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
That is pretty much the position I am in. I have a Moser card that I purchased through PWCC over two years ago.
Start with PWCC and let us know what happens, I guess.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's up to you the collector to figure out if you have problem cards. We aren't going to help.

And if you do, don't bother us, call the seller.

If the seller is "unknown," we'll help you.

By the way, the incredible array of altered cards you're seeing on message boards -- don't worry, PSA is well-versed in detecting fraud.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Start with PWCC and let us know what happens, I guess.
Here is a copy of the message I sent to PWCC. I have pretty much zero optimism that there will be any understanding or accommodation from PWCC, but I guess we will see.

"Hello,

I purchased a 1900 Cope's Golfers Tom Morris card from PWCC for $757.76 plus $8 shipping.on May 23, 2017. With what has come to light in recent weeks, I now believe the card was consigned by Gary Moser and was previously in a PSA 2 holder before being altered/soaked. Had I known the card came from Moser and was likely tampered with, I never would have bid on the card.

I am reaching out to you to see what PWCC plans to do for customers who purchased Moser cards that were altered and now reside in higher-graded PSA holders?

Would you kindly advise me of the company's position for those customers who purchased Moser cards from you?

Sincerely,
Eddie Smith"

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-06-2019 at 12:07 AM.