NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default BIDDING WAR on Ebay - Ty Cobb Tin

one hour in and its out of control - Ali Frazier like!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TY-COBB-TOBA...item45fd73739b
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
one hour in and its out of control - Ali Frazier like!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TY-COBB-TOBA...item45fd73739b
WOW!! That's incredible. I wish I owned it...
Rawn Hill

This should be fun.

Rawn
Jason Wells

Very interesting.That seems like alot bid with 1 hour down and 239 to go??I saw one sell for 5500 recently on t.v.Is it really worth that much?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Jon Canfield

They are incredibly rare and the last to sell did sell for around $40k. IMO, however, it's more like a $20k piece. I'm surprised it hasn't met reserve yet.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Scott S

Quite a leap of faith for a seller with no feedback in 10 years, but assuming these pictures are unique (and I think they are), then it is very possible this could be legit.

I'd want a little more authenticity before laying 40 large on this auction though.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default and also

Also, the one that sold in a Live Legendary auction, that went for around 40k and was a record high price for one (as far as I am aware), was probably the finest known. I have to agree that an average one should be in the 15k-20k range......but who knows??
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Rawn Hill

Read the fine print at the bottom....Insured shipping will be extra.

Rawn
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Looking at the bidding history, am I the only one here who thinks that this seems VERY fishy? I doubt this is a legit sale up to this point and they are fishing for one legit buyer over 40K, but hey, what do I know!

Rhys
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Looking at the bidding history, am I the only one here who thinks that this seems VERY fishy? I doubt this is a legit sale up to this point and they are fishing for one legit buyer over 40K, but hey, what do I know!

Rhys
That could well be... I suspected the same, but it could also be potential suitors fishing for the reserve (which I agree is set too high). Seems awfully early in the game for that , though...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agree

Not sure this one is passing the smell test.

Rawn- yeap, at 40k, and a reserve that is higher than that, he can't afford to pay for shipping/insurance. Deal breaker for me.

Last edited by Leon; 09-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Jon Canfield

Leon - you are correct... that $40k Legendary one is the only Ty Cobb tin to ever sell (at least publicly) in that price range. I believe one in REA (maybe) sold for around $20k... Others have sold in the $10k-$15k range.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Shawn England

Default The Sellers Location...

Anyone notice the location of the seller? I find it interesting that it is the same location as the company who manufactured Ty Cobb Tobacco (F. R. Penn Tobacco Co. in Reidsville, NC (Factory #33) was located. Not sure what to make of that?

Shawn
Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Anyone notice the location of the seller? I find it interesting that it is the same location as the company who manufactured Ty Cobb Tobacco (F. R. Penn Tobacco Co. in Reidsville, NC (Factory #33) was located. Not sure what to make of that?

Shawn

Warehouse Find?

Soon there will be more of these on the market, then Kruk Cards has pallets of "Collegiate Collection" cards?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post

Shawn
Actually makes sense to me. This was likely very limited or just a "test market" item. I would imagine most would turn up around the original place of manufacturer. it would be my odd, IMO, if this turned up on the west coast, for example.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Shawn England

Hey Jon,

I agree, it does make sense... Just thought it was interesting. I do not think we have been aware of the sellers location before?

Side Note: I did read (somewhere) that F.R. Penn had an office in Atlanta, Ga. back in the day.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Surprised the seller turned down a 40K bid. What was he hoping for?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

He may have been promised some pie-in-the-sky number by one of the auction houses he spoke with which is giving him unrealistic expectations.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
He may have been promised some pie-in-the-sky number by one of the auction houses he spoke with which is giving him unrealistic expectations.
Maybe, but any auction house guaranteeing that seller 40k, or more, for that Tin, is setting them and the seller up for failure, imo.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
pete ullman

A seller can make up any location they want...so the item may...or may not actually be from there?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 AM

My guess is the seller plans to sell it an auction somewhere in the future and wants to increase market value....should have done it more discretely and not at an outrageous price though...

What always irks me about these is the seller says in his description "after extensive research I have decided to sell it." Really? Extensive research? Is reading about it on the Internet for a half hour extensive research? Even if he did do extensive research in order to sell it, why should I care?

Last edited by Brendan; 10-01-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Not including this one (which I render no opinion on given the small size of the photos), I am aware of only two examples that do not have serious condition issues. One is the one Legendary sold, the other as I recall was sold some years earlier and went for about 50k. If in fact this one is in really good condition, then it should sell for a substantial premium over what the other lesser-conditioned ones sold for.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:44 AM

The TV show "Auction Kings" sold one at auction earlier this year. They also
said there was only 7 or 8 in existence. As I recall it only went for $6-7000.
That's assuming their auctions are real and not fabricated for TV.

dh
Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
The TV show "Auction Kings" sold one at auction earlier this year. They also
said there was only 7 or 8 in existence. As I recall it only went for $6-7000.
That's assuming their auctions are real and not fabricated for TV.

dh
This makes #13 on the list of Cobb tins I've tracked. I used to have images of all but 3, but a hard drive crash a few years ago wiped out a few older images. Right now I have images of 5 different (not including the auction kings one, the legendary one, or this one). Of those images, 3 are in very nice condition.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Scott

I don't want to poo poo on this, but why are those pictures so small? Is everyone sure this is authentic? Stories like this one of the guy sound so "fairytale" like, makes me wonder. he said he sent pics to major auctions. Well, a picture, especially those sized, does NOT guarantee things to be real, right?

Anyone else wondering this?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I don't want to poo poo on this, but why are those pictures so small? Is everyone sure this is authentic? Stories like this one of the guy sound so "fairytale" like, makes me wonder. he said he sent pics to major auctions. Well, a picture, especially those sized, does NOT guarantee things to be real, right?

Anyone else wondering this?
The small scans were a yellow flag for me, immediately. I don't know about the tin being real or not (positively) but the auction on ebay, itself, smells to holy heaven. I have some serious concerns about the "auction".

Last edited by Leon; 10-01-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 AM
pete ullman

I agree there are a bunch of red flags here...the small scans, the weird extra payment for insured shipping, the story of course...but the 14 day return policy doesn't really fit?!?!

I think the item is probably real...seller is just very...very green!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Barry Sloate

His feedback of 7 doesn't garner a whole lot of confidence. Would you bid 40K with somebody who had so thin a track record?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
His feedback of 7 doesn't garner a whole lot of confidence. Would you bid 40K with somebody who had so thin a track record?
If I was seriously interested, I'd ask him to email a pic of the tin with today's newspaper.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:44 PM
pete ullman

I wouldn't be bidding 40K on anything...so it is irrelevant...for me!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Personally, I think it looks like somebody who may have talked to several auction houses (he didn't say which ones, so there's no telling whether the estimates he was given were "good" or not), and decided to sell it himself because he didn't want to pay a percentage to the auction house. He's staked out a high-end price so that, in his mind, there's no risk for him. He's not taking into account all the detractors that have been listed that have nothing to do with the item itself and everything to do with how he presents it and himself. People just don't realize how much effort goes into presenting their items in a favorable manner, and how much of an effect that has on the final price. He hasn't used his eBay account in 10 years, the pics look to have been taken with an old camera phone, and the shipping charges may seem petty but go along with a mindset of milking it for all its worth.

My guess is, assuming the final bid doesn't reach his reserve, we'll be seeing this tin again at whatever auction house he talked to that has the lowest seller's commission (hopefully with better photos)
Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Barry Sloate

You know I thought this ended- I didn't realize it still has 8 days to go. And it already has 63 bids, with one bidder alone having bid 44 times. I guess he wants it.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You know I thought this ended- I didn't realize it still has 8 days to go. And it already has 63 bids, with one bidder alone having bid 44 times. I guess he wants it.
Or doesn't really want to sell it!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:51 PM

It looks like he canceled a lot of bids and now there are only 10 bids.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Three different buyers placed large bids and then retracted them saying they "entered the wrong amount," one of which is the current high bidder. Wonder if the zero-feedback bidder figured out what the reserve and/or high bid was with that "accidental" bid of $99,999.00?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Doug Allen

Default Shedding Some Light

Just thought I would shed some light on this.

I believe the tin is legitimate as I was provided higher resolution images and it is a really nice example. I had extensive discussions with the seller. I disagree that the market value of this is $15 to $20k. Although I agree that the fact we got close to $40k for one was an anomaly; I believe the current market value of one in this condition is $20 to $30k. I was suprised to see it listed on eBay and wont speak to the legitimacy of the bids.

Interesting since we sold one in February there have been (3) new examples. The one on Auction Kings which was in poor condition, this example and a new example we will feature in our November sale which is pretty nice.

All the best,
Doug
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Richard Simon

Nice way to slip in an advertisement letting everyone know that Legendary will have one of these tins in their next auction.
Wonder how that will influence the bidding on ebay?
Was that the intent here?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Doug Allen

Default Not My Intent.

....No commercial. We announced the find a few weeks ago and I doubt anyone on this Board is on this one at $40k!

If I was doing a commercial I would have talked about our 2,500+ lot catalog coming out in a month which includes our best cross section yet of high end cards and memorabilia.
That would be an example of a commercial.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen View Post
....No commercial.

If I was doing a commercial I would have talked about our 2,500+ lot catalog coming out in a month which includes our best cross section yet of high end cards and memorabilia.
That would be an example of a commercial.
LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

you never know how high it can go. it only takes two people with insane amounts of money that really want it. the 9.5 babe ruth signed baseball that went for 150,000 last time recently changed hands privately for 300,000. so no high price shocks me anymore. I think some of these high prices are stupid for what people are getting, but not shocking knowing the exponential nature of high value items versus the very high end collector who thinks nothing about dropping 100,000 for an item they really want.

Otherwise they just have to buy their 5th Lamborghini with the money. Got to spend it on something.

Last edited by travrosty; 10-02-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Just thought I would shed some light on this.

I believe the tin is legitimate as I was provided higher resolution images and it is a really nice example. I had extensive discussions with the seller. I disagree that the market value of this is $15 to $20k. Although I agree that the fact we got close to $40k for one was an anomaly; I believe the current market value of one in this condition is $20 to $30k. I was suprised to see it listed on eBay and wont speak to the legitimacy of the bids.

Interesting since we sold one in February there have been (3) new examples. The one on Auction Kings which was in poor condition, this example and a new example we will feature in our November sale which is pretty nice.

All the best,
Doug
Doug,

Could you explain what you mean when you say the one you sold for close to 40k was "an anomaly"?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Doug Allen

Default Anomaly

....by anomaly I meant I don't believe that when a piece sells one time for a big price that you can depend on this being the new price.

Example the exact same Cobb tin we sold for $35,850 sold in REA in 2005 for $10,550. After this the guy offering the piece on EBay (which is a superior example) asked what I thought his was worth...my estimate was $25 to $30k. I just didn't believe because one sold once for $35k that it established a new price. Especially when one less guy needs one now!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Doug Allen

Default Oh one other thing....

.....the one that sold the Summer of 2007 for a similar amount was a far superior example. It was marketed and sold as the finest example extant and it was!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
....by anomaly I meant I don't believe that when a piece sells one time for a big price that you can depend on this being the new price.

Example the exact same Cobb tin we sold for $35,850 sold in REA in 2005 for $10,550. After this the guy offering the piece on EBay (which is a superior example) asked what I thought his was worth...my estimate was $25 to $30k. I just didn't believe because one sold once for $35k that it established a new price. Especially when one less guy needs one now!
Doug,

Thanks for the response. I need clarification on something. Are you referring to the Ty Cobb Tin Mastro Auctions sold at their live auction at the 2007 National? The realized price on that (included the bp) was $33,600? The condition of that tin is a lot better than the one REA sold as lot 68 in their 2005 auction, something that can be easily seen if one is to go on the auction archives in the Legendary and REA websites and compare the images. Are you saying those two tins are in fact one and the same?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Doug Allen

Default Clarification...

...no I am saying the one that sold in 2007 for $33,600 is in my opinion the finest example known.

The one that sold in REA in 2005 for just over $10k is the one Legendary just sold in February for $35k.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

if the one sold in feb. was a lesser example and sold for nearly the same price as the better example that sold a few years ago, that tells me that these tins are quickly selling for more even though their condition is less.

that points to prices rising quickly. there is never a static number of collectors interested in a certain type of collecting. new members come aboard all the time, otherwise once these tin collectors die there would never be any new guys who collect tins? It depends on who wants one now and might not want to wait until the next example comes about, and who knows how much it will go for then.

we saw honus wagner cards continue to climb the stratosphere, babe ruth 9.5 graded signed ball just double in price from 150,000 to 300,000 in a short time, 1927 yankees signed photo (pipgras estate) smash through the ceiling, along with a christy mathewson signed ball go for 150 grand, the grade 10 wayne gretzky rookie went for 96000 this year, up almost 20 percent over what it went for just a short time ago. I don't see prices going down. if someone found a box of 100 of these in their closet maybe prices would be surpressed for a long time, but 2 new examples on the market wouldn't do any more damage than 2 or 4 new examples of wagner if they came to light. they still wouldnt come available for auction at a sufficient enough frequency to placate the collectors who want to place bids.

it wouldnt surprise me if this tin smashed the previous record.

Last edited by travrosty; 10-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Mike

Item now has a picture with current newspaper under it. It appears to be the real thing.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 AM
pete ullman

50K...reserve has been met...it looks like this tin will sell! IT definitely seems this poor economy...and impending double dip recession has produced some amazing new highs in prices realized for bb cards and collectibles...
AMAZING!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Item now has a picture with current newspaper under it. It appears to be the real thing.
Yes, what a beautiful piece in that photo. Incredible shape. Im predicting 55K plus will be final number
Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
50K...reserve has been met...it looks like this tin will sell! IT definitely seems this poor economy...and impending double dip recession has produced some amazing new highs in prices realized for bb cards and collectibles...
AMAZING!
Ah, but the bid appears to have been retracted. Looks like someone went fishing to see what the reserve was.