NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 PM

Default Mantle Signatures...Good or Not

Not to long ago I visited my brother's home in California. I collect mostly cards, and I was not aware that he collected sports memorabilia. Next to the room that I stayed in was an area dedicated to some of his items. With his permission I took a few pictures.

I'm not sure of the authenticity of his collection, but would not dare tell him. I hope my suspicion is wrong. The pictures are not very clear, but let's give it a try.

I'll start with a few Mantle items..... If all goes well, I'll post a few of his other autographs that I have clear pictures of at another time. You guys are the experts.....what do you think?

Three Mantle Balls

Mantle With Williams

Mantle Photo

Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Sorry, but all bad IMHO.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Sorry, but all bad IMHO.
Completely agree....especially the M's on all of those.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM
T!M R10rd@n

So no one likes the Milkey Mantle?

Last edited by timzcardz; 03-23-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 AM
T0dd M@rcum

The important thing to remember when seeking an opinion on a Mantle Signature is that everyone will tell you they are all bad because there are so many good bad ones, it's playing the odds.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
The important thing to remember when seeking an opinion on a Mantle Signature is that everyone will tell you they are all bad because there are so many good bad ones, it's playing the odds.
These are just blatantly fake.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Steve Zarelli

These are all known mass-produced forgery styles.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Old 03-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
The important thing to remember is that it would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about.

These are all easy to spot well known cartoonish forgeries PERIOD!

How are those odds? Even with the pics that were provided, an amateurish semi collector could tell these are banana forgeries at a glance...AND there is NO DOUBT, so odds have absolutely nuttin to do with it.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 03-23-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:23 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

All of them appears to be signed by the same person, but not by Mickey Mantle.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
The important thing to remember is that it would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about.

These are all easy to spot well known cartoonish forgeries PERIOD!

How are those odds? Even with the pics that were provided, an amateurish semi collector could tell these are banana forgeries at a glance...AND there is NO DOUBT, so odds have absolutely nuttin to do with it.
I was scrolling down to write something in line with your post, but a little more polite. Exactly what I was thinking though
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I was scrolling down to write something in line with your post, but a little more polite. Exactly what I was thinking though
...Have to get to the point, politely or not LOL. Politeness is not a strong suit of mine....as is well documented
Old 03-23-2015, 05:49 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Dude,
I am sorry, but being I was the first to reply, I take this personally.
What are you talking about? I gave an opinion based on the signatures being bad, not some stupid idea that "so many are bad these must be too." That is nonsense. I am not a sheep. I answer what I feel is correct.
I see you have been a member of this forum since 2009. I would think that you would've figured it out by now that people here are anything but politically correct regarding autographs. People call them like they see them. Usually pretty much point blank. Perhaps on other boards, where the knowledge base is lower due to being less experienced collectors, your theory might hold water, but not here.

To the OP,
Sorry for your brother, but those are bad, because Mickey Mantle didn't sign them. That's it.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 PM

Default I knew it....

Thanks to all for the opinions, it's just as I thought. All these years and I never knew that he had collectables. Now that I know we have a common interest, I'll keep closer contact and share my knowledge and resources with him.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Mantle autos are virtually always questioned on this board and at shows...this is just an observation not intended as a personal affront.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

The OP came here for an informed opinion. Obviously he knows there are informed people on this board willing to help him as it is easy for certain people to recognize. Some autos are tougher, but not these. If it is tough for you, maybe you should refrain from giving an opinion like you did.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:20 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Mantle autos are virtually always questioned on this board and at shows...this is just an observation not intended as a personal affront.
Your observation about this board is not correct. The reason most seem to be questioned is that there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad Mantles being brought here for opinions. We don't question good ones because there are many bad ones. We question them because they are bad, as these are.
By and large, on this board, bad autographs, regardless of player, are questioned and identified. Good ones are questioned and validated.

Last edited by Lordstan; 03-23-2015 at 07:48 PM.