NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Lou Brown

Default Stanley Ketchel Original Photo

Can anyone help with information on this item. I believe that it is autographed by Ketchel's manager, Joe O'Connor though not sure how that can be verified.
The Photo has a stamped mark on it that says J.R. O'Connor Foto

Has anyone seen this before? Looking for any information and hopefully an estimate of value. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ketchel_optimized.jpg (74.0 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by loubrown; 08-23-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Mikeknapp

Sorry I can't help you out. That's an awsome photo. If you like Ketchel you this is a must read.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ketc...g_uRYva1RUvhM:

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:35 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

If you look at old city directories, the photographer was from San Francisco. As for the photo itself, I didn't recognize the image as being Ketchel, but sometimes studio photos can look a lot different from ring shots. I'm curious what others think.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 08-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Lou Brown

Default studio photo

Here is another photo I found on google images. Looks right on to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StanleyKetchel.jpg (8.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 01:21 AM
Tim

A very good fighter, and ultimately a tragic figure. He did fight three times in San Francisco (1907/1908).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Ketchel
Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Mark

There is another minor tragedy here in that the photo does not depict Ketchel.

Really it's simple. The ears clearly do not match so it can't be him. The back edge of Ketchel's ear (below left) is very straight (red arrow). There are many other photos of Ketchel that support this. The back of the ear in the photo in question (below right) is distinctly curved.

Also Ketchel has an attached earlobe (blue arrow). Again this is supported in other easily found profile photos of Ketchel. The earlobe in the photo in question is clearly detached.

In addition, the overall size and shapes of the respective ears are markedly different. That is enough to preclude the possibility that this is Ketchel.

Of course there are other distinct disqualifying differences, like the overall shape and proportions of the face and the width of the forehead which is tied to underlying skull structure. There is more but it isn't needed to support the conclusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sk.jpg (31.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Dave

I was hoping Mark might chime in. There's a definite resemblance, but I had a funny feeling about it.

Question would be, who added the Joe O'Connor inscription to try to make it appear as if it was Ketchel?

Don't know of any O'Connor signatures myself, so was it old Joe himself, fooled by the image when he gave it away to some fan, or did it happen later on down the line?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:36 AM
Mark

Dave - I don't know what happened in this particular case, but in general anyone with an old photo and a pencil can write whatever they want. It's even easier still if the writing is not claimed to be that of the person claimed to be depicted.

It seems that nearly all misidentified 19thC and early 20thC baseball photos have the name written on the photo. That has been enough to fool a lot of people. I would guess it is the same for boxing.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 08-25-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:42 AM
Dave

Good lord. Just stumbled across this:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=...9080829.2.82.7

When I looked at the inscription, and then looked at the photo stamp, I noticed they both said Joe O'Connor.

Put O'Connor and Ketchel into Google and this popped right up.

Ketchel's manager for a bit, but also a photographer by trade. The photo is actually of O'Connor according to the newspaper article I linked to.

Amazing that fighter and manager looked so much alike.

It was all actually right there in the photo. I was mistaking the inscription. I thought it said "My Stanley Ketchel". It actually says "Mg (manager) Stanley Ketchel.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 08-25-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Mark

Nice find!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Boom. Nice work Dave.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Lou Brown

Wow. I checked out for a day and all kinds of information rolled in. Awesome input and great find. Very cool item but unfortunately, not Ketchel himself.
The resemblance was so strong that I didn't look as thoroughly as I should have.