NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Wasn't there a guy named Rick Behar running a crap shop out of Michigan a while back...Colossal Auction Company....I assume no, but any connections?
Not that I am aware of.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Yeah, announce a guys name, when I have no physical proof now of his guilt because his questionable material was returned to him by the dealer who he was trying to sell to. (it was not in my possession).
I called someone a crook, in writing, in the distant past, and what happened? I got sued for my troubles. Why don't you guarantee my legal fees Dan, in case I get sued, and then I will be happy to reveal the name.
Announce his tell so he can correct it, sure thing.
When a certain Philadelphia store owner was on here a while back, we had all kinds of information and many examples in his ebay store of his questionable activities. That was no problem to speak out, for most of us, when we were discussing him. Leon even made a mockery of his attorney.
And as far as I know, the guy in Michigan does not sell retail, so the board members have nothing to fear, he sends stuff to dealers and to auction houses.
So, how about PMing me his name, and PMing me his tell.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
So, how about PMing me his name, and PMing me his tell.
I got sued for sending out one e mail calling a guy a crook. One e mail was all it took, and I had to spend five figures to have the case dismissed. Even when you win you lose.
I would not send you a PM with the name of this guy or the tell.
If you are that concerned, if you ever get anything offered to you by a stranger from Michigan you can PM me his name and I will tell you if it is him, and PM me the next Babe Ruth you want to buy and I will tell you if the tell is in it.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-09-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned

what an entire waste of a thread this has been.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Oh my God. Travis are you really serious or you just being who you are.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I got sued for sending out one e mail calling a guy a crook. One e mail was all it took, and I had to spend five figures to have the case dismissed. Even when you win you lose.
If you are that concerned, if you ever get anything offered to you by a stranger from Michigan you can PM me his name and I will tell you if it is him, and PM me the next Babe Ruth you want to buy and I will tell you if the tell is in it.
Fair enough. I guess the crooks are basically untouchables in the autograph hobby.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
what an entire waste of a thread this has been.
I have been quite entertained by it, and learned a lot. Plus, we had both the auction house and the consignor participate, as well as several of the more-respected autograph guys.

You just can't look at it like a 3 hour movie that says 'to be continued' at the end, and then the producer runs out of money.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Fair enough. I guess the crooks are basically untouchables in the autograph hobby.
Well Dan, if you can work with law enforcement to get this guy, I will happily give you his name.
Unfortunately the attempts to get him have so far not succeeded, but I hope some future attempt will nail him.
And you are right about one thing, the crooks MOSTLY are untouchable but some have paid a price.
--
Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I have been quite entertained by it, and learned a lot. Plus, we had both the auction house and the consignor participate, as well as several of the more-respected autograph guys.
+1
= 2 from me to you....this thread rules.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i thoroughly enjoy and am fascinated by this thread, no snark or sarcasm.

this thread is a microcosm of the autograph side, and the hobby in general. different viewpoints and opinions colliding, if you don't have the stomach or faith for it then go collect t206.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 04-09-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Why not the tell? You can't be sued for that.

(And, BTW, I call BS on your story. Libel is almost impossible to prove even if you had written a scathing newspaper article, or a book. One email? Please.

Good excuse, though.)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I did just happen to notice that PSA is advertising the card and the H&S auction on their site...

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...-ends-april-11
Why shouldn't they? The ticket is good.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Banned

nothing got accomplished except for the originator trying to toot his own horn and when asked what makes him an expert at vintage baseball, then he gets lockjaw. along with the "i am so smart i wont tell you why i think something is bad"

totally worthless from beginning to end. that is why authentication of autographs is at an all time low. we need transparency, not secrecy. psa and jsa are bad enough, hobbyists don't need to take a page out of their playbook.

if the ruth is bad, prove it.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yeah Travis, but if some of us think we had fun, isn't that a good thing, even if we've deluded ourselves?

Okay, at this point I'm smiling, so it's a good time to say goodbye to the computer for the day. Hope everyone else shuts theirs down at some point, on a similar note.

Last edited by Runscott; 04-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Why shouldn't they? The ticket is good.
David,

Just referring back to the "card was sent to Heritage and rejected by PSA" theory..
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
qu@n nguy3n

huggins is probably an advertiser on psa. that's just a press release that psa put up for huggins.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
David,

Just referring back to the "card was sent to Heritage and rejected by PSA" theory..
But the ticket wasn't sent to Heritage. Only a photo of it and I have an email from Ron offering to send me a packet after he had the photos for 3 days. As for psa they have not seen the ticket live (cant speak to if they saw a photo of it)

Last edited by rscheck; 04-09-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
David,

That wasn't a "theory," James. That's what the OP told us.

A bit of legwork gone wrong, perhaps.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Rscheck, I have one question. Did you at any time offer this item to anyone outside of the auction houses?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Rscheck, I have one question. Did you at any time offer this item to anyone outside of the auction houses?
I did. One other guy based on the same photos I sent Ron and Josh. He made an offer on the ticket but I thought it was low. The whole thing involved a couple of emails in the beginning of January....thats when I settled on H&S
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM

Rscheck... you don't have to answer any questions. No one has presented a shred of evidence supporting the OP's claim that the ticket is a forgery. Nada.

And, after repeated questioning, the two "experts" who don't like your ticket (especially the pompous twit who started this whole thing) absolutely refuse to provide any.

As I said before, good luck with your auction.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
Rscheck... you don't have to answer any questions. No one has presented a shred of evidence supporting the OP's claim that the ticket is a forgery. Nada.

And, after repeated questioning, the two "experts" who don't like your ticket (especially the pompous twit who started this whole thing) absolutely refuse to provide any.

As I said before, good luck with your auction.
Thanks David. Interesting group of "friends" you have here
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheck View Post
Thanks David. Interesting group of "friends" you have here
Interesting people. I asked a simple question like seven other people did. Yes or no would be easy. You came on here and said you would answere questions.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Why don't you ask your buddies to answer some questions, Shel?

Oh, yeah, you did. (When you said you were waiting for those you respect to speak up.)

Too bad they're not as forthcoming as the consignor.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
Interesting people. I asked a simple question like seven other people did. Yes or no would be easy. You came on here and said you would answere questions.
Not you Shelly some of the others. Seems guys have taken a hobby that we used to love growing up and totally bastardized it. I will answer questions because I have nothing to hide. The story I have told is true,
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Not you Shelly some of the others. Seems guys have taken a hobby that we used to love growing up and totally bastardized it. I will answer questions because I have nothing to hide. The story I have told is true,
I was just curious if it was ever offered outside of the auction houses. Thats it and thanks for the kind remark.

Last edited by shelly; 04-09-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
BTW what 7 people asked me anything? I offered to speak to Chris and he left me one message, no return phone number, I PM him told him when I was available and never heard back.....sorry shelly but I am an open book
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I never said you where not. I just asked a queston nothing more. I understand you never had to come on here and I give you credit. If you do not want to answere ok with me. Its that simple.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Brock

Just curious if you remember the lady's name?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
BTW what 7 people asked me anything? I offered to speak to Chris and he left me one message, no return phone number, I PM him told him when I was available and never heard back.....sorry shelly but I am an open book
I'm sure you've realized it by now... Chris is an ass.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-09-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Just curious if you remember the lady's name?
Honestly I dont. It was 1992 I realize that would make it easier but I dont
Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 PM
JT R0berts

I must say, this guy Chris is going to look like a big fool if he doesn't produce something factual and provable that substantiates his allegations.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
I must say, this guy Chris is going to look like a big fool if he doesn't produce something factual and provable that substantiates his allegations.
Going to?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM
JT R0berts

David,

I know he hasn't produced one iota of anything to back up his allegation. I am sure he is doing "legwork" deep into the night trying to find something.

I personally wouldn't make such an allegation unless I had the proof beforehand, but that is just common sense to me.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post

he wont, he's a "trust me because i said so" type of guy. the very first post on this thread was disingenuous, when he asks what others think of the ruth auto. it was a setup from the beginning. he couldnt close the deal though. that would involve breaking the secret oath of the royal order of the scarlet mongoose lodge. if me and mark dont like a boxing auto, we show 'why' every time and answer anyone's questions on why we believe it to be bad. we would supply as many exemplars as needed and asked for and wouldn't hesistate to show why. it called transparency and being accountable. anyone can do it this way and claim top secret CIA clearance.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Brock

Quote:
Going to?
David,
When you found out your 1927 ball was fake, you said you asked a member who you respected lot. Just wondering if that member has offered his opinion on this Ruth yet?

Last edited by yanks12025; 04-09-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Steve Zarelli

My friend Chris is no fool.

I can't speak to the Ruth. But if this is the work of an active master forger, it would be foolish to publicly announce the tells, and essentially provide a blueprint on how to make a more deceptive forgery.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM

That bullshit excuse don't work no more.

No one is asking for a public revelation of the "tells."
Why hasn't that info been shared with H&S, so that they can pull the lot?
Why hasn't that info been shared with Jimmy Spence, so he could stop certifying this particular "master forger"?
Why hasn't the info been shared with PSA? (Same reasons as above.)

The answer is quite simple. No "tells."

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

In the end, H&S will not pull the item and it will sell north of $5000. Thy are getting paid twice off that for an item that has been authenticated by the guys they use. They are an auction house and really owe nothing to the hobby, so why waste anymore time with this thread.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
David,
When you found out your 1927 ball was fake, you said you asked a member who you respected lot. Just wondering if that member has offered his opinion on this Ruth yet?
No.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
In the end, H&S will not pull the item and it will sell north of $5000. Thy are getting paid twice off that for an item that has been authenticated by the guys they use. They are an auction house and really owe nothing to the hobby, so why waste anymore time with this thread.
Why the hell should they pull it, James? Because Chris said to? The same Chris who told us he left the consignor his phone number, while the consignor has told us twice he did not?

Either Chris is lying, or the consignor is. Guess who I believe?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-09-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Seems guys have taken a hobby that we used to love growing up and totally bastardized it...,
Earlier in this thread, Josh from H&S stated, "The consignor is NOT in our hobby and is not a collector of sports memorabilia ..."

Was he mistaken?

Other than Heritage and H&S, has any other dealer or auction house reviewed this?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Earlier in this thread, Josh from H&S stated, "The consignor is NOT in our hobby and is not a collector of sports memorabilia ..."

Was he mistaken?

Other than Heritage and H&S, has any other dealer or auction house reviewed this?
he was not mistaken. I used to buy pieces in the 70"s when my parents went to antique shows (older yearbooks and stuff like that). Collected cards like other kids but stopped collecting when I went in the service
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

David,

At this point I just don't care anymore. I had to pay for a $1200 car repair yesterday and Michigan lost....if I continue reading this thread I am probably just going to go off on someone and get kicked off the forum.

I am bowing out of this discussion.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM

The consignor has been completely open and forthright with us. He has quickly answered every question put to him.
Don't you think Chris, who started all this, should be held to the same standard?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Banned

the "tell" is a myth. like mysinger said on the other site, it's an authenticators job to tell the difference and withholding info doesn't help the hobby. its a myth that forgers troll the sites looking for people who give them info on how to make better forgeries. they have genuine exemplars, they have eyes.

they are really spending hundreds of hours watching people talk about bob feller and willie mays so they can catch one phrase on an autograph for their improvement? it's ridiculous. they are too busy forging and trying to make $

the ticket shown looks like the u is over the capital R in Ruth, (something that babe would do, so it wouldn't rule it out just based on that) and the other that Chris says is the same work looks like the "uth" was signed first, then the R was signed last, as the R seems to overlap the u. (something babe would be unlikely to do and would rule it out in my opinion) how does the same guy do that on one and different on the other? frankly, if you compare each letter of each signature side by side, there are loads of differences.

again, i dont know if the autograph on the ticket is a forgery, but please explain how this other autograph matches it?

sorry for showing side by side comparisons and explaining stuff, i know it's frowned upon on this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth.jpg (5.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg ruth2.jpg (5.1 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 04-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
he was not mistaken. I used to buy pieces in the 70"s when my parents went to antique shows (older yearbooks and stuff like that). Collected cards like other kids but stopped collecting when I went in the service
I have read this entire thread and I do not think anyone intends to call you out or question your honesty rscheck. Opinions differ on here vastly, but it really is about the auto and nothing personal.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Scott R.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
the "tell" is a myth. like mysinger said on the other site, it's an authenticators job to tell the difference and withholding oinf doesn't help the hobby. its a myth that forgers troll the sites looking for people who give them info on how to make better forgeries. they have genuine exemplars, they have eyes.

they are really spending hundreds of hours watching people talk about bob feller and willie mays so they can catch one phrase on an autograph for their improvement? it's ridiculous. they are too busy forging and trying to make $

the ticket shown looks like the u is over the capital R in Ruth, (something that babe would do, so it wouldn't rule it out just based on that) and the other that Chris says is the same work looks like the "uth" was signed first, then the R was signed last, as the R seems to overlap the u. (something babe would be unlikely to do and would rule it out in my opinion) how does the same guy do that on one and different on the other? frankly, if you compare each letter of each signature side by side, there are loads of differences.

again, i dont know if the autograph on the ticket is a forgery, but please explain how this other autograph matches it?

sorry for showing side by side comparisons and explaining stuff, i know it's frowned upon on this thread.
Well played, Sir.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

sorry

Last edited by shelly; 04-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
JT R0berts

Quote:
I did. One other guy based on the same photos I sent Ron and Josh. He made an offer on the ticket but I thought it was low. The whole thing involved a couple of emails in the beginning of January....thats when I settled on H&S

Shelly,

He already answered your question.