NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Jason Presley

Default OT - 1993 Topps R&N China Porcelain cards

According to the 2003 Standard Catalog, R&N China produced the entire 1993 Topps set in porcelain, 5000 each for the milestone cards (multiples of 10) and 1000 each for all the rest. I've only been able to track down evidence of about 30 or so (a surprising mix of stars and commons) on eBay and the auction house sites and was wondering if anyone remembers how these were originally solicited?

I've seen magazine ads for the original "Dream Team" set, the Mantle set and the Ryan set, but I've never seen any advertising material relating to the 1993 Topps set. Four of the players I collect would be in the set, but I'm getting the impression that a relatively small quantity of those produced actually made it into circulation, otherwise I would expect to see more copies of the Derek Jeter draft pick card in circulation (I've only seen one, so far).

Does anyone have any information on these or know if there is some dealer/collector that managed to hoard a large number of them? Mentioning this set on a couple other boards, there is sort of a common notion that the entire set wasn't really produced and that possibly R&N China only produced them to order (I'm not sure how feasible that would be) not expecting 1000 orders for the likes of Mark McLemore or Charlie Hayes.

Last edited by DaClyde; 08-31-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps Poceleins

I had a goal to collect every Topps set or card listed in The Standard Catalog through 1994 ( after that I just went to standard sets, updates and then Heritage). I was worried how I would be able to do this set since it seemed like a monumental task. Fortunately the set got removed from the Catalog ( at least for 93/94) and I gladly have ignored it since.

Good luck on your quest
Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Jason Presley

Thanks. I highly doubt R&N China produced any of the checklist cards, which sort of has me wondering if maybe they did the players from the Topps Gold set instead....if so that adds one more player I collect (Bernardo Brito). Does anyone know if the Franklin Mint or Danbury Mint keep track of their previous offerings and might have information on this set?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Jason Presley

Just a slight update here, I've managed to track down evidence of 39 cards from the 1993 set so far and am updating my blog posting on it as I find more cards.

1993 Topps / R&N China porcelain baseball cards
Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Jason Presley

To update since the last post, I have now identified 55 cards from this set. It seems every few months another card or two surfaces on eBay.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Al Richter

Default RJN China Cards

As mentioned above I do not collect them but wanted one example. Here is the only one I have

Old 02-03-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
According to the 2003 Standard Catalog, R&N China produced the entire 1993 Topps set in porcelain, 5000 each for the milestone cards (multiples of 10) and 1000 each for all the rest. I've only been able to track down evidence of about 30 or so (a surprising mix of stars and commons) on eBay and the auction house sites and was wondering if anyone remembers how these were originally solicited?

I've seen magazine ads for the original "Dream Team" set, the Mantle set and the Ryan set, but I've never seen any advertising material relating to the 1993 Topps set. Four of the players I collect would be in the set, but I'm getting the impression that a relatively small quantity of those produced actually made it into circulation, otherwise I would expect to see more copies of the Derek Jeter draft pick card in circulation (I've only seen one, so far).

Does anyone have any information on these or know if there is some dealer/collector that managed to hoard a large number of them? Mentioning this set on a couple other boards, there is sort of a common notion that the entire set wasn't really produced and that possibly R&N China only produced them to order (I'm not sure how feasible that would be) not expecting 1000 orders for the likes of Mark McLemore or Charlie Hayes.
Hi. Ive acquired about 15 of these 93topps porcelain cards. About 10 braves and rest misc teams. If anyone has more info on these please let me know. I have mostly 502/1000 and some matching artist proofs, which is awesome. THANKS
Old 02-03-2020, 06:22 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsrm View Post
Hi. Ive acquired about 15 of these 93topps porcelain cards. About 10 braves and rest misc teams. If anyone has more info on these please let me know. I have mostly 502/1000 and some matching artist proofs, which is awesome. THANKS
This is something of a jackpot, as from the photos you sent me, I was able to add 12 new cards to the on-going checklist:

77 Junior Felix
102 Brian Hunter
144 Kent Mercker
306 Damon Berryhill
437 Chris Hammond
517 Bill Pecota
578 Dave Magadan
580 Walt Weiss
583 Marvin Freeman
643 Luis Aquino
708 Greg Olson
769 Francisco Cabrera

And add one more for that half an Otis Nixon (#333) you found.

That puts the list to 145 of 825.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:34 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default 1993's

There are 17 of these listed on COMC.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...ls,i100,=china

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:49 AM
Jason Presley

A fascinating item hit ebay. A full box and display for the 1993 Topps/R&N China porcelain magnets!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-TOPPS-...Y/233571456655

----

On another note, is there any way this thread can be moved into the post-1990 forum? It was started before that forum existed, but now it is out of place.

Last edited by DaClyde; 04-27-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Al Richter

Default moving thread

Jason---pm Leon about moving it
Old 09-05-2020, 07:36 AM
Jason Presley

Up to 146 confirmed, as #482 Darren Reed was listed on eBay this morning.

I mean, at this point, there just HAS to be a Hensley Meulens, right?
Old 10-21-2022, 09:48 PM
Tim Odeen

I have at least two. Maybe another is hiding somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 06-09-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Tags
1993 topps, ceramic, porcelain, r&n china