NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Jeff P0tter

Default Two Mystery Autographs from 1935 and 1940 (likely Music related). Help Needed

I have been staring at these two autographs from a large collection I
purchased, for almost six months now. I love a good mystery but these two have been stretching on in my unknown pile for too long now. A majority of the several hundred autographs in the collection were music or radio related, some movie, and some fine arts, so likely it is from one of those areas. The envelope is dated from 1935, somewhere in Europe (maybe a stamp collector will recognize which country). I am not even positive it's an autograph in the lower left, but it looks like one. For all I know, it could read "air-mail" or something like that. It was kept with the autographs though so I am leaning towards it being a signature.
The second autograph (small blue paper) is from 1940, and was kept near some big band autographs. My first blush was Tommy Dorsey but it's not. There were a lot of local music figures in the collection so it may be a relatively unknown, the collector lived in Kentucky. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (75.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (80.4 KB, 231 views)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Default Cover

Hi- The cover is from Austria. Hope that info helps you with the id.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

The bottom one is Tom Mix. Don't know who the top is.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Could the second signature be Tommy Dorsey? I see some similarities but if it is him it must be a rushed one.

Whoops, never mind. Tom Mix already identified.

Last edited by packs; 08-19-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
The bottom one is Tom Mix. Don't know who the top is.
Tom Mix...very nice, thank you. Have stared at that one for months, now it's clear as day

Also, thanks to the member for ID'ing the postal cover as from Austria. There was a composer autograph included in the collection, Franz Lehar, who is from Austria. The writing at the bottom left of the envelope almost looks very similar in style to his signature, with the curly loops, etc. I wonder if it just says something else, and this was the envelope the autograph and photo came in...I bet that's it.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

I could be that it's the envelope the photo came in.

I believe it says "Drucksache" or what we'd call printed matter. Usually it's used for mailing ads or pricelists or similar stuff that's not of a personal nature. The normal rate to the US was I think 60Gr, so a printed matter rate of 8Gr seems about right. If the recipient didn't include return postage I can see a composer or his help sending a photo that way.

Steve B
Old 09-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

I''m bumping this thread simply because it's about vintage autographs, and we have almost none of that any more. Also, I found it very interesting - thanks Jeff.

I challenge others to post some vintage material - perhaps discuss an old Ruth or Wagner autograph coming up for auction...you know, like in the old days.