NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-28-2013, 01:46 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Need a recommendation...Harper & Trout Rookies

I'd like to pick up one or two Harper and Trout rookies...not interested in any of the signed ones as, frankly, I don't have hundreds of dollars laying around. Instead, which base cards would be the best ones to pick up...and would you recommend raw versus graded...and if graded, BVG vs PSA/other? Traditionally, on the rare occasion I've done modern, I've gone towards Bowman Chrome or just Bowman. Lastly, other than scanning eBay, what's the best barometer of value for today's cards...Beckett?
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Yeah, I like Bowman Chrome as well. I use Ebay to gauge card value, personally.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks cubsfan-budman...anyone else???
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 05-29-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Personally, for Trout, I went with the 2010 Bowman Platinum card. I think it's a pretty nice looking card. It's fairly inexpensive and as a guy who prefers chrome for his modern rookies, it completely satisfies. Hell, even the refractors are quite affordable..

For Harper, I actually prefer the UD Team USA sets from '08 and '09. The '08 is a little more than I typically prefer to spend, but both of the '09's are still very pleasing.

Another cool option for Harper would be from either '07 or '08(can't remember exactly). Topps was making personal cards for whoever ordered them through the website(typical little leaguers and stuff like that). I remember back then, people were submitting photo's of Harper when he was still in HS, and having Topps print them up, in older styles('75 is the one that I remember the most). I remember seeing them back then, so I know they're legit, but haven't seen one in quite a while.. Kinda wishing I would've bought a few...

As far as graded/raw. I prefer raw, BUT usually if I buy graded modern, I tend to lean BGS..
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Jason Stricker

I have no recommendations for Trout as I don't collect him.

I'm a huge Harper fan and have a bunch of his cards, but none of the autos or expensive cards. I'm waiting a few years for those premiums to come back down to reality. So far, my favorite Harper has to be the 2011 Topps Heritage.

As previously mentioned, the 08 and 09 Upper Decks are nice. The 2011 Bowman's Brightest is a nice card as well IMP. Also, the Hagerstown Suns have a series of I think 5 cards from around 2010 or 2011.

I prefer to get the Harpers in PSA 10s, but have a few BGS 9.5s. I also have a stack raw cards as well. You'll obviously spend a lot less going with raw.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i know some people prefer these prospects pictured in their MLB uni...and they're turned off by cards like Team USA or Under-18 stuff. Not sure why, as I would consider those '08 or '09 harper rookies while the '10 BC more like 2nd year stuff.

sorry can't comment on the base stuff as i do the auto thing

Last edited by chaddurbin; 05-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks guys..will post some pickups soon!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I would personally recommend the following:

2010 Bowman Chrome Harper - he's in the Team USA uni but it has the "First Bowman Chrome Card" logo on it. The Base version will run around $50. I prefer serial #'d cards, but the refractor #'d/777 will run closer to $150.

Any 2012 Harper that has the "RC" logo on it. I'd go with Bowman or Topps Chrome, Sterling, Platinum, or Finest. I like the image on the 2012 Platinum the best, but it's the only issue that doesn't come serial #'d. Instead there are SP colored parallels (gold, green, blue, ruby red). The ruby red is the "rarest" and will run about $15. The others (2012 Chrome, Sterling, Finest) have #'d refractors that will run $30+ depending on the print run.

For Trout, I'd go with any 2011 issue that has the "RC" logo on it. I prefer the #'d Bowman Chrome, Sterling, and Finest. Actually, I like his 2011 Topps Update image the best. The Gold version #'d/2011 runs around $25.

Also, check out both of their 2013 Topps issues. They aren't "RC's", but they have the cool "Topps All-Star Rookie Trophy" icon on them. Plus the current Topps photography has some pretty cool images.

Hope that helps

- Jason
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

One thing to consider is what "will" eventually be considered a "rookie card". There's a lot of people who don't buy into MLB designated "rookie card logo".

2010 Bowman Platinum Mike Trout for instance. Standard MLB released set, featuring many current MLB players. Technically an insert, but looking closer at the pack ratios, and checklists, these hardly count as inserts to me. 100 standard cards, 50 platinum prospect cards. 5 card per pack, 2 PP cards per pack. Not counting other inserts, this works out as 1/33 of the standard set per pack and 1/25 of the PP set per pack. If anything, the way the ratios work out, the standard cards should be considered the insert..

Mike Trout listed with the Angels and pictured in Angels uniform. To me, and speculatively speaking in terms of the hobby future, this is(and will be considered) his "Rookie card". Anything after will possibly not ultimately be considered a rookie. That doesn't mean the other cards won't still be desirable or more desirable though..

Looking at Harper, most of his 2011 releases meet all of the same standards. Therefore, speculatively speaking, anything after 2011 will possibly not be considered a rookie card down the road...

This of course is part preference, and part opinion..

Last edited by novakjr; 06-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Bill Gregory

Matt, for Harper, definitely his 2010 Bowman Chrome:

It's still fairly affordable. You can get it for $50-60 ungraded.

Trout, I like the 2010 Bowman Sterling, or this:

2011 Bowman Chrome. Get a refractor, you should be able to pick a nice one up for $30-40.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 AM

You should consider a Machado rookie as well
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Jesse Lent

Matt why didn't you just talk to me about this. I'm pretty sure i have extras. i can bring them to ball for you don't buy any yet
Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Matt why didn't you just talk to me about this. I'm pretty sure i have extras. i can bring them to ball for you don't buy any yet
Sweet! Wil do...and thanks Jesse!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM