NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2018, 01:41 PM

Default PSA grading

Wondering what everyone's opinion is on getting a vintage baseball complete set PSA graded? Recently got my hands on a 53 topps complete set. I would say most cards are probably around a PSA 3-4. I've submitted the more valuable cards in for grading, both because they are more valuable and because they appear to be the cards in best condition. But what should I do with the rest of the 260+ cards?

I am a PSA member so I could send them in for grading for 7 bucks each, but with well over 200 cards it seems quite costly.

My goal is to keep the set, pass it on to my kids. I have no intention to sell, so would it be 'worth' it to get them graded/encapsulated?

Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Nishant
Old 08-18-2018, 01:53 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npatel1982 View Post
Wondering what everyone's opinion is on getting a vintage baseball complete set PSA graded? Recently got my hands on a 53 topps complete set. I would say most cards are probably around a PSA 3-4. I've submitted the more valuable cards in for grading, both because they are more valuable and because they appear to be the cards in best condition. But what should I do with the rest of the 260+ cards?

I am a PSA member so I could send them in for grading for 7 bucks each, but with well over 200 cards it seems quite costly.

My goal is to keep the set, pass it on to my kids. I have no intention to sell, so would it be 'worth' it to get them graded/encapsulated?

Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Nishant
Grade the big cards and keep the rest in semirigid or in a binder

Member since 2009
Old 08-18-2018, 01:58 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I would say don't do it. You will lose money in grading fees that you won't get back. Only get the valuable cards graded, which it looks like you've already done. Unless you sell cards as a business, I would say that unless the card is worth at least $50 raw, don't get it graded.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM

Unless the cards are all going to be 7's or above, don't bother trying to grade the entire set.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Although you're going to hand the set down to your kids, I would still look at it as an investment sort of thing, because at some point down the line, somebody is going to sell the cards. Having the big names graded is perfect. I suggest you grab a bunch of the other cards in your set at random, decide what grade you think they will get (and subtract a point or two, because we are always wrong) and then see what similar grades have sold for on ebay and elsewhere. If there's a large enough disparity between the cost of grading said cards and what you could reasonably get for them if you decided to sell, then it might be worth it to go ahead and send them off. If there isn't a big enough difference, then it might be a waste of money with no real added future value.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Marty K.

Really???..Why grade them now or ever? Put them all in penny sleeves and new top loaders, get a nice box for them and enjoy,,,,Save your money...
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnichols View Post
Unless the cards are all going to be 7's or above, don't bother trying to grade the entire set.
What he said and what you already have in play - grade the biggies (Over $200 value). Leave the rest.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

I just grade the key cards in my sets or as most guys call them " biggies " and the rest go into UltraPro pages and D-ring binders. Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Sam Lemoine

I had this EXACT same situation come up a few years ago. I had a 1954 Topps set in PSA 3-5 condition, but raw. I sent in about 25 cards at first and they graded just as I expected. After I got them in hand, I realized that I kind of liked the cards better not graded. I sold the cards I had graded. 24 of the 25 cards sold for LESS than grading fees. The only one that actually made me any money was a card that somehow got a PSA 6. Even then, it only made me a few bucks. After shipping and fees and ebay fees, grading those cards amounted to about a significant loss in money.

The advice you received about grading the stars is spot on. Someone is always willing to buy a PSA 3 Jackie Robinson or Mickey Mantle. Finding a buyer willing to pay what you have into the card for a PSA 3 1953 common is a lot more difficult. Now, that being said... If you like the idea of having a complete PSA registered 1953 set and want to see that 100% on the registry, by all means go for it! Just understand that this is probably a fiscally losing proposition.

Last edited by PowderedH2O; 08-19-2018 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2018, 09:45 PM

Appreciate all the advice. I sent in the high value cards to be graded, and put the rest in sleeves and top holders. Just received my first 2 cards back from PSA - Mantle and Mays. Hopefully they will get the rest back to me in the next few weeks.

love these two cards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2058.jpg (45.5 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2057.jpg (47.8 KB, 251 views)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Great looking cards!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 PM
David M.

Wow, both PSA 5's, nice!
Old 09-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Bob Davies

I think the question is, you got them back in two weeks? Wow.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:42 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Grade the big cards and keep the rest in semirigid or in a binder
I'm with Andrew on this for sure.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:25 AM
Tim M

Congrats, usually the other way around, stars rough and commons nicer, nice grades and cards on those two.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I think the question is, you got them back in two weeks? Wow.
Yes....we are going on 5 months.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Beautiful cards and nice grades! Congrats! I love PSA.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npatel1982 View Post
Appreciate all the advice. I sent in the high value cards to be graded, and put the rest in sleeves and top holders. Just received my first 2 cards back from PSA - Mantle and Mays. Hopefully they will get the rest back to me in the next few weeks.

love these two cards!

Sweet! You will have no problem selling those when the time comes.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:44 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Grade the "biggies" as you've done, leave the others raw. You might consider grading all the HOFers, but I would only do that if you think you can get at least 5s. So far so good.

I would not grade the commons unless you can get AT LEAST 6s or 7s. Most 50s set commons in 5s and 6s can be bought for under $20, and frequently under $10 if you're patient.

From that perspective, if you grade a common from the 50s and get a 5, you're probably losing money. At a 6, it's probably a push, maybe you could make a couple bucks but that's a ton of work. 7s would normally be well worth the grading fees.

Good luck with the rest of the submissions, great start with 5s on Mickey and Willie.