NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Ray

Okay, I listed my newbie post a few days ago - I seem to be at least allowed in to some extent, so thanks! Can any of you pros give a rookie some tips? For my first pre-war set I'm trying to find a SMALL pre-war set (100 cards or less) that is interesting but wouldn't cost me thousands to collect AND would be fairly easy (as in, I could do it in a few years time). Condtion sensitive only to the point of VG and above. Is this even possible? I know I'd really have to do a lot of research on it though so I know I wasn't ever being sold a fake. Any good websites, books titles, etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ray

Old 03-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Richard

Hey Ray,

There seems to consensus on the board that the following is a standard list of "recommended reading" for vintage collectors to start with. I may miss a few titles, but these will at least keep you busy while you find a first set to collect:

1. Lew Lipset's 'The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards' (originally issued as three volumes, but reproductions can be bought that combine all three into a single book for $20 or so)

2. Bob Lemke's 'Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards'

3. A subscription to 'Old Cardboard' magazine (http://www.oldcardboard.com)

As for first sets to collect, there are many, but you may consider T201 Mecca Folders. There are 50 cards in the set, representing a good mix of players. They are also reasonably easy to track down. They used to be quite affordable, but I haven't watched them in a while, so I don't know if that part holds true.

Good luck!

Richard.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: T206Collector

...E95's. There are 25 in the set. It presents some challenges -- Wagner, Cobb, Plank and Mathewson to name a few -- but you won't break the bank on the others. And if you're willing to overlook condition for those four, you won't break the bank at all.

I think E95 is a popular set because it resembles T206, but you don't have to dedicate your life to completing it, and the best cards are not truly unobtainable (like T206 Wagner and Plank).

Read more about E95 here:
http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e1/e095/e95.asp?cardsetID=736

Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: identify7

One of the sets a relatively inexperienced collector can feel somewhat safe with is National Chicle's Batter Up cards. This set includes players from the 1930s, and has cards that are rarely faked. The reason that fakes are uncommon, is that the cards are die cut, and reproducing this effect is far too much trouble for most frauds.

However, these cards represent for many collectors, an acquired taste; since although the cards come in various colors, each card is two tone (such as black and white, blue and dark blue, etc.).

A vg set may not break the bank, but check Old Cardboard and eBay for a better idea of the specifics, if you like the 30s players. Some consider this set more attractive than the Goudeys which were produced around the same time, just because they are less common.

But there are options other than set collecting.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Ray

Big thanks to everyone for the help!!!!! Keep it coming if anyone else has more. Thanks again, Ray

Old 03-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Paul

I'd suggest the 1936 Goudey set. It's small (just 24 cards). It has a lot of top notch players. But it has no Gehrig or Dimaggio, so it's more affordable. The cards are tougher than the 33 and 34 Goudeys, but are not difficult by any means.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: dennis

lots of good/vg condition hall of famers & stars can be had in psa/sgc/gai holders for under $50. there are so many classic sets pre 1941 it's hard to focus on just one! also check the old cardboard site for a list of vintage dealers who sell unslabbed cards that can be had cheaper than graded ones and will guanantee authenticity of what they sell. here's a board members site that will help in spoting fakes. http://www.cycleback.com/baseballcards/

Old 03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Josh K.

I would recommend e93s. Only 30 cards, loaded with HOFers and only a few (wagner, matty, young and cobb) will cost you. I will warn you, however, that the set is fairly popular and like everything else pre war, prices keep going up.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I'll echo the advice of a few before me - I personally think the E95 set is great to start off with. I started the set in November and just finishd it last week. All said in done - it cost me somewhere around $4000 to complete in SGC 10-40 condition (Wagner a 20, Plank a 30, Cobb a 30, Matty a 10). That being said, many fellow board members have a good amount of the set for sale in the B/S/T threads. I know Joe has about 15 cards for sale including a Wagner, Pete I. also has 4 or so. eBay also has a few up for sale including a Cobb, Wagner, Cicotte and Matty. I also have a duplicate Plank in SGC 10 I will be selling shortly. So - its an easy set, relatively inexpensive in low condition, great cards, great visual appeal, and you can complete it fairly easily - especially right now!

- Jon

www.jonathancanfield.com

Old 03-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Jim

Jon.
I don't mean to jump in here but I would be interested in the Plank SGC 10. Can you send me a scan and price?

Jim Hamernik

Old 03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Dave Williams

Wheaties box backs from the 30's are real cheap, and have some great photos/poses of stars of the time. I've got some of them in standard $1 8x11 frames on my office wall.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default NEWBIE2

Posted By: Cat

If I was starting today, and did not want to spend a lot of money and wanted to be able to complete a set within a reasonable timeframe, I would collect Fan Craze cards. They are not very popular because they are game cards, but they are all portraits and they look like the players. Personally, I think they are real good looking cards. They are cheap, but my guess is that they won't be for long. The HOFers (in VG condition) cost about $200 a piece and the non HOfers are anywhere from $30 to $75.

This is one of 51 in the American League set:

Nearly all Tobacco sets are expensive projects. You may be able to put together an e card collection, but understand that many e cards do not look like the player. I own (shown below) just one non-Cracker Jack e card and it only vaguely looks like the player. The card below is about ten to twelve times more expensive than the one above. In the end, you need to decide what is important to YOU.