NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default Negative eBay feedback BEWARE of 'sonicadvantage'

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

A couple of days ago I got a negative in eBay feedback.

I won 2 lots, a worn T206 and a worn T212. In the listing it had UPS shipping for $10.12, but would mail for less and would combine shipping. So I bid low and won.

I paid him within 24 hours via Paypal. He shipped via the mail for $5.60.

I get the cards, leave him 2 positives, 4 stars some places, and 3 stars for shipping costs.

His listing says that he expects 5 stars on everything, and he's not going to get that then something is wrong and to contact him. I didn't do that.

Robert Patton, who is 'sonicadvantage' emails me that his DSRs (the stars) went down and that he's blocking me as a bidder, he leaves one positive feedback for me whining about me giving low DSRs.

I email him back saying that I answered the stars honestly, that I gave him a positive, not a negative, that the way to get 5 stars is to ship quicker for less, and that since his feedback is 98.6 that I must not be alone.

Next I get an email from Patton with a cuss word in it, and a negative feedback entry.

I've contacted eBay, and of course they won't do anything about it. As I understand that Square Trade stuff, it is realistically paying a bunch of dollars to clear a negative so I'm not fooling with that.

I'm just venting... but I think that from now on I should #1 be less cantankerous, and #2 quit leaving feedback on purchases, or at best wait the seller out. Golly, if the seller wasn't satisfied with what I'd done, he should not have shipped the cards.

Anyway... I suggest you guys avoid cards from eBay seller 'sonicadvantage'. I should have seen that 98.6 and the high UPS shipping and steered clear.

Frank.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank B

>>Robert Patton, who is 'sonicadvantage' emails me that his DSRs (the stars) went down and that
he's blocking me as a bidder,<<

Guess he thinks it's an honor to be allowed to bid on his stuff. I am e-mailing him to
state that I'm blocking him as a seller. If enough do that maybe he'll get the message.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If you look about 7-8 threads down you will another thread about this arse....

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Now I see it....

A little too late.

At least I'm not alone in my misery.

Maybe what we need is a thread on sellers to block, will eBay let me block a seller and protect me from myself?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Frank

yes they will.

Steve

Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I hate sellers who have such an adversarial attitude toward their customers. And the fact that ebay refuses to do anything makes it worse. I think ebay's glory days are behind them; they are now a company on the downswing.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

You'd think the putz would be more concerned about how low his feedback is -- 98.6% -- than he is about his stars. Frank, I'd create another account and buy a few of his cards. And leave appropriate feedback.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

I don't understand what the initial problem was that caused you to trash his DSR numbers. He had a high $10.12 shipping fee stated. So what, you did the sensible thing and bid low to figure that in. He said he would combine shipping and charged you $5.60. You just made out great because your bids assumed a much higher shipping cost. Unless the cards were messed up or not shipped in a timely manner, based on what you've said there was no reason at all BEFORE his response to trash his DSR ratings with nothing less than fives. After his response, that's a different story. But if somebody thinks they did nothing wrong maybe they don't like it when somebody uses the DSR numbers improperly. Basically, in a simple and uneventful buy it get it deal, you should be rating people the same way you would like to be rated.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Why is 3 stars "trashing" a seller? It's a neutral rating.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

"DSR to the dumps"? Is he kidding? It doesn't sound like it.

I think he needs to buy a plant and care for it - water, nurture and talk to it daily. Perhaps some Tai Chi would help too.

Why can't we all just get along?
I miss John Lennon.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

eBay has a system in place where the DSR's are used to determine if a 5% or 15% discount will be given to a seller. ALL ratings on average must be at least 4.5 to qualify for the 5% and 4.9 or better for the 15%. The second best comment of "satisfied" will yield a "4" and if all the customers were satisfied - a good thing right? - a seller wouldn't even qualify for a discount.......

Old 05-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

then maybe sellers should have fair shipping costs if they want 5 stars....I have bought from sonicadvantage before and now I realize why I never care to leave feedback in the first place...when I read this stuff it will make me bid far lower on their auctions if I even bid at all.

To me its like paypal and the arguments that go on about it here and everywhere...if you don't want to use it fine - but I don't have to bid as much either.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I did not think, and still do not think, that a positive with 3 stars once and the rest 4 stars is trashing a guy.

So Red, I don't see how every seller automatically starts out deserving a 5. When you get done factoring in $5.60 as high shipping (considerably more than his actual cost), that still doesn't make it an excellent shipping value. High shipping is high shipping. And considering that in the bidding doesn't lower what the shipping is.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

If, in your mind, a seller's S&H charges are high, you should factor that into your bid. Either that or don't bid. Problem solved.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Jodi, are you saying that if I bid then I must automatically give the seller 5 stars on shipping price?

Stars are given for these 4 areas...

Item as described
Communication
Shipping time
Shipping and handling charges

I think that if the shipping and handling is high, then it is high. That last catagory isn't "shipping and handling charges in relation to final sale value"

If I bid on a 1985 federal reserve note, a $100 bill, the shipping listed is $105, and I win it for $5... notwithstanding whether a total of $110 is a good deal or not for that, $105 for shipping is high.

Besides, I think I gave him a 3 and three 4s. I didn't give him a 1 or a 2....

Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

isnt 5.60 for prioroty a good price whech he has now. fast pretty trackable.

he has lowered his shipping. maybe freee soon. whhhhhhoiooo

Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: judson hamlin

I agree with Frank - if we, as buyers, give all sellers 5 stars for every purchase, then there is no way to reward a seller that actually goes a little further (gives a better shipping charge on multiple wins, doesn't charge 6.00 and then send the card for less than 1.00 wrapped in a piece of tissue, that sort of thing). I don't think 4 stars should be treated as an insult.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

I know how to block buyers from bidding on an item, but can I block a seller (like sonicadvantage) so I won't see his items for sale when I'm searching for something?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Frank,

Point partially taken. I understand that aspect of your issue. In my mind, if the fees bother you, it's best not to bid at all. For instance, there are a couple of autograph sellers on eBay who list very pedestrian fare. They start their auctions with opening bids of one cent, but charge $15 S&H. In large, bold, red typescript, they warn prospective bidders not to bid in their auctions if they take issue with the S&H charges. They have covered all their bases. It should be noted that I do not endorse this method, but whoever wins such auctions have already been forewarned. If you have bid, you have also agreed to pay the seller's S&H rate(s). I understand your reluctance to leave a perfect rating. I'm not overly familiar with this new system. I think the best scenario would be to go ahead and leave a perfect rating (seeing as you were properly informed of the charges prior to auction's end), but leave a comment voicing your concerns about the S&H at the same time. I'm not sure that's an option, but it should be.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Incidentally, I do see the point made by Judson. In cases such as the one he mentioned, I think that there should be a separate "Go the Extra Mile" category in the form of a box which could be checked by those leaving feedback. There should be an option to leave a brief description of how the seller earned this special rating. This should do nothing to heighten/lessen the regular feedback rating of the seller. Instead, perhaps a separate "Extra Mile" feedback rating could be assigned. I think that this proposed method would be using positive methods to encourage/insure positive results. Other methods of leaving feedback tend to lean more to the negative. This method would make everybody try harder.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Years ago, in younger days, I was a life guard. Taught swimming lessons. Kids and adults would cough and splutter and splash around, then come up for air and ask how they did. I'd tell 'em "horrible" or "not very good at all" if that was how they'd done. They'd get discouraged. But eventually, when I did praise them, they just glowed.

Our society has gotten like that. Every kid gets a gold star at school. Everyone does well. It's like playing soccer instead of baseball, everyone is out there running up and down the field, "well done" for all of them. But in baseball you strike out sometimes, all by yourself.

If everyone gets 5 stars all the time, then 5 stars are meaningless. And if they do get an "extra mile" rating going, that would be good until everyone expected to get that, too. Then it would become meaningless.

Maybe I'm wrong... maybe everyone should get straight As in school, free rides to college, everyone goes to medical school. Reminds me of a school club where one kid ran for president, and 7 for vice president. The solution, change the by-laws to allow for the club to have 7 vice presidents. Problem solved. Everyone wins. And give 'em 5 stars, too!

Hell, let's give Pete Rose 5 stars. And put everyone who made it to double A in the Hall of Fame while we're at it.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

OK, OK, sarcasm noted.

This would make for a great in-person debate. I feel that you have great points, as do I. There is a happy medium in there somewhere. I too am fed up with this overly PC world, but that's really a separate issue. We won't get anywhere the way this is going. If you don't like the S&H costs, don't bid. It's obvious that you take a strong stance, so perhaps you would be happier not having to deal with the exorbitant fees. This should not be taken as an endorsement of either side of this debate.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Priority shipping is the 2nd largest legal scam after postal insurance. 1st class arrives just as fast, is handeled the exact same and you can apply delivery confirmation. Anyone charging $5 to ship a single raw card is stealing. They can charge $3 and still make a buck on shipping.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph Shirley

The problem with the DSR's is this: Ebay tells the buyer's 4 stars is good, then tells the sellers 4 stars is bad. A 4 star rating will kill the discounts for sellers, it is definately bad for them; but the buyer is never made aware of it by ebay, in fact quite the opposite. The buyer is led to believe through the discription, that 4 stars is above average.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I disagree, priorty mail can be faster and you get all the supplies for free.

For certain items it is well worth it.

1st class mail can be as fast as priorty, but it can also take longer.

Like anything you get what you pay for.

Steve

Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Thanks for the warning. I will never bid in his auctions. You should forward this thread to him.
JimB

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Dearest Steve, priority boxes are not free, your customers are paying for them. A priority box with a card in it ships for $4.60. That card in a bubble ships for $1.13. A normal box $1.90. Nothing free there my friend, do the math. RARELY will priority beat 1st class anywhere. Run a few tests. I did and you will be very surprised. No, you don't get what you pay for. You pay $4.60 and you get the EXACT same service as $1.13. Dan.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Absolutely correct Dan. First class package is typically 2 days.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

"If, in your mind, a seller's S&H charges are high, you should factor that into your bid. Either that or don't bid. Problem solved."

I agree with this. Unless the shipping costs were not stated in the auction, you agreed to them by bidding. He did combine shipping as promised, so in reality he lived up to his end of the deal.

That said, some of his other actions were of course unwarranted.